Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Chris Offline OP
OP Offline
This from the Ambergris Caye Chamber of Commerce minutes from their last meeting:

6) "Mr. Claudio Azueta attended the meeting to answer questions about the property tax increase. He is on the Appeals Board but until the recent announcement on tax increases there have not been any appeals. The property tax rate has not changed but the assessed values have changed. All property will be charged at 1-1/2% of the undeveloped value and if there is a structure, an additional tax of 2-1/2% of the yearly rental value is charged. Essentially this has led to a 3500% increase in the taxes. Many people are upset about this sudden increase in property taxes. Most people feel that the tax rate is very low and an increase would be acceptable but this is an unreasonable hike. It could also allow selective application of the tax. Mr. Azueta recommended that if you feel that your tax has increased unfairly, write a letter to:

Chairman of Valuations Appeal Board
San Pedro Town

and deliver it to the Town Council Office.

This tax increase is being shouldered by those that already pay taxes but there is 3-4 Million dollars in uncollected taxes and no penalties have been assessed for non-payment. Most felt that an attempt should be made to collect these taxes before assessing more taxes on those that do pay. It was suggested that if an outside collection agency was hired to collect the taxes owed that it may be more successful than having the Town Council try to collect them.

The current law on the books to deal with non-payment of taxes allows the Town Council to inform the owners that taxes are due, then file in court and after 1 year, the property can be seized.

So far, some Chamber members had paid their taxes recently but the rate was the same. Claudio knew of others whose rates had gone up the 3500%. The new tax rates will apply to 2010 taxes."

The San Pedro Business Association is also getting involved in this.

I would certainly suggest that if the Town Council persist in thinking they need 3500% more income for 2010-2011 then as taxpayers and members of the business community we should demand, and if necessary fund, a full audit of all Town Council accounts. Said audit should, of course, include an inspection of all property tax bills for town council members and family.

I am sure such an audit would find many constructive ways of enabling the Town Council to balance their books without killing all real estate investment on Ambergris Caye, something these deplorable tax increases will certainly do if they're allowed to stand.

JZB Offline
Thanks for posting. They will be getting my letter next week! Not only is it unfair to charge more to some and not collect on others, but they also need to realize that if they are going to charge US property tax rates, we are going to expect US services, which they cannot provide! This is all very frustrating!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Yes, I talked to him a week or so ago and he was helping some of them. He does agree that taxes have been low, but need to be increased in small yearly increments, rather than all at once.

Change your Latitude
P
P
Look at today's date.

If its an april fool it got me!

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
JZB Offline
This is no joke. I don't know about 3500% increase, but definately a 800% increase on one of my bills.

P
P
If there is really to be a massive increase in local taxes, it is time the authorities were required to account for what they collect and what they spend it on. No more letting off their friends and family from ever having to pay. No more free golf carts etc whose purchase is never recorded. But proper accountability to the public at large in a prescribed format.

E
E
Yeah, good luck with that.

Some resorts amongst whom us already got that increase (1300%) last year. SPBA said they would do something about it but didn't. Claudio advised us to protest individually and we were able to negotiate it down a little. Guess it is now the turn for the rest of San Pedro to get that increase.
Jan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.