Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Ok I know the area and have been looking for either property to build on or a condo (I know two very different things and that is why I am not rushing into anything). I am leaning towards a condo now as I won't have to worry about care when I am away (which will be more often than not). My fiance really likes the look and feel of White Sands ad I may have found an owner that is selling. He emailed me but is not going to get back to me until later in the month. i remember some dram with the place from a long time ago. I was not too interested so I let it pass. Now if I am going to consider buying a condo I would love some insiders opinions. Feel free to message me.
TIA

White Sands is beautiful! However, make sure you check the rules to see how many weeks the owners are allowed to stay in their condos per year... I could be wrong, but I think when I checked into them a couple of years ago, you could only have two weeks a year. It might have changed by now. Just something to consider when making your choice.

P
P
Are they open? Elbert will be better placed to comment but there was some sort of dispute between owners and the Management Company recently and they weren't accepting bookings for a while. I personally would never buy a condo where the Management Company was not owned wholly by the condo owners.

P
P
I believe the management company that was running the place and owned the common areas closed, and I know all the directors left Belize. I was going to move my dive operation there some time ago and had many dealings with them. I don't know the detail of how they're operating now, but they now have a management company run by different people and I believe all is now harmonious there.

They're certainly open - I was there last week.

All the drama passed when it sold recently and the place is running smooth were doing business with them again and I would say its a new ball game Saravch.
I've always liked the place as well.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Hi Phil -
I think your point might be more about Homeowners having control of the development - a point with which I agree 100%.
On the point of Homeowners owning the mgmt company - that is not so easy and not so one-size-fits-all. You are a successful rental-manger of property so for you it may come naturally to do a good job --- but not everybody is able to do this business well. Certainly buying a condo does not make you an expert at bookings and management.

In fact sometimes having the homeowners themselves own a management company can lead to conflicts of interest and maybe more conflicts in general than hiring an outside service provider. It's also a lot more work for your Association and sometimes people own condos to have less work, not more. Liability issues are to be considered as well.

I think the essential elements to avoid Management problems are:
1. Homeowners Association owns the common areas, including lobby and office.
2. Homeowners Association can fire the management company.

Then make a contract that is win-win and see that everybody understands it.

The places with histories of problems are/were where the points above were not part of the landscape.

Last edited by Diane Campbell; 04/07/10 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling and clarity
P
P
As ever the voice of reason and concisely accurate (with an edit lol)

I didnt mean for the homeowners to necessarily run it in person but to own/control the Company that does. I personally would prefer ownership and have Management employees to run it. I see it as counter productive if a Management Company is trying to make a profit for themselves rather than for the owners or for reinvestment. I have no idea what is most commonly employed, and as I have no experience here I could be off base, but it seems common sense.

P
P
Also I'm glad the issue at White Sands is done as it is a lovely property, and area, and hopefully I didn't misrepresent or upset new management there. If I did tough - err I mean sorry!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.