Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#373792 04/18/10 09:05 AM
P
OP Offline
P
For people who have had their heads under the sofa, this volcano is spewing ash into the atmosphere and has caused all flights to/from northern Europe to be cancelled for the past few days. This is causing total chaos, and there are quite a few people in Belize who need to get to Europe and can't. It also means that Britain and other north-western European countries may have to go back to a diet based on what's in season, as fresh food from other parts of the world can't get in.

The bad news is that experts believe the volcano may continue to erupt for months, and the nature of the material emitted means that it will continue to shoot ash high into the sky, where the prevailing winds will send it (mostly) across northern Europe.

The glimmer of good news this morning is that aircraft technologists believe that the ash is not as damaging as at first thought and some limited flights may be permitted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/t...raise-hope-for-European-air-traffic.html

Rykat #373797 04/18/10 09:32 AM
N
N
Ummmm who wants to line up to get on one of the limited flights to test their theory????
Think I read that flights are still going into Portugal, Spain, southern France, southern Italy and Greece.

I was on my way to Berlin last Thursday and was turned around in Newark to go back home. Re-booked for July and hope I can get there by that time. And I also want to see some test flights do the route and get there in tact before I'm convinced it's safe.

P
OP Offline
P
I visited Iceland some years back, for a 3-4 week off-road cycling tour across the centre. Very hard work (averaged almost 130 miles/day for 23 days on extreme rough "roads" in total wilderness) but incredibly rewarding. Pretty well destroyed my new $4k bicycle and lost my camera when the "waterproof" bag it was in flooded - together with all my exposed films! So my records of the trip are all in my head, but nonetheless it was really worth it.

Strangely, there are no restrictions on flying into Iceland from north America - the volcanic ash is being emitted further west than the airport and all drifting eastwards in the opposite direction. One of the most amazing places I have so far ever visited ..... and also one of the most expensive. The only place where I have experienced temperatures of 0f and 100f in the same morning!

P
OP Offline
P
Just as airlines are cautiously restarting flights, the volcano has erupted again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/majornews/7608815/Volcanic-ash-cloud-new-threat-to-flights.html

Marty #374035 04/20/10 05:30 PM
Have 2 international students trying to get here for a week. One from Uzbekistan (stuck in Amsterdam), one from Paris. Looks like Uzbe will be here tomorrow evening sometime. Paris not until Monday or Tuesday evening. Should make for some interesting conversations.

Now I am worried about 12 American students we are sending to Paris the early part of May.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
P
OP Offline
P
Britain is just re-opening all its airports, so unless the volcano throws another wobbly (and it may) things should get back to normal. Reckon on the residual hiatus lasting a week or two though.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 285 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.