Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#375772 05/06/10 05:44 AM
S
Sha Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello everyone here!

I'm not sure if I'm committing some gross error as in some forums introductions are not wanted but I thought I'd do so anyway cool

I live in the UK but I'm not from here. I'm half-French, half-German and incredibly curious. When I get bored at work I open google maps and go on imaginary journey's. This is how I stumbled across Belize. A country that, I am ashamed to say, I hadn't hear of before about 2 weeks ago. blush

And now I wonder how I could not have heard of Belize! I'm already planning my first trip. How good that I came across Belize just when starting to plan a long journey abroad for which I have been saving up for months. grin

Anyway the reason I registered here is that I want to find out more about Belize. But not: where is the best Hotel? But about the culture, the people, the real life.

So I hope you will have patience with me and forgive the stupid questions I might ask.

The Sha from the cold

Sha #375791 05/06/10 08:36 AM
Sha, welcome. You have found a great place, with great people and information +. I found this Board 2 1/2 years ago and returned from my 5th trip to Ambergris Caye in February.
Best Hotel? There are many. What is you price range? That will help.
Stay tuned and have fun!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
Sha #375813 05/06/10 11:13 AM
Hi Sha,

Welcome!

The section you have posted in is primarily for the San Pedro/Ambergris Caye section of Belize...its the most popular tourist area, and is a wonderful place to visit.

My suggestion to you is to ask yourself....."if I were visiting England would I go to Stonehenge, or the Moors, or would I be more likely to enjoy a coastal resort (but with bright blue ocean and lots of sun!)

Look at the entire board, and you will see info on the Mayan Ruins, the Rain Forest of the interior, and some of the less popular areas.

Ambergris Caye is more like a Caribbean country that caters to western tourists in its own delightful way, whereas the remainder of the country, with a very few exceptions is far more "Central American"

Whatever your taste for adventure, you will be able to find it in Belize, but do not try and fit in too many areas, as intra country travel is relatively expensive

Enjoy your trip!

It's rarely rocket science, it's usually just math: then again if you can't do the math.......
You may even wish to seek out different chat sites, this one seems to be more mainland.

http://www.belizeforum.com/belize/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol
S
Sha Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you for the warm welcome!

First of all I wasn't awar that this board was mainly for Ambergris Caye. Sorry for this. I was surfing around during mt lunch break and didn't take enough care.

I am not yet sure which part of Belize I would rather see or if I want to see everything, how long I want to stay etc. It all depends on how long I will be able to be away, how much money I will have and so many other factors.

In the UK I like the moors (next to which I live) and the seaside a lot so not much help either. But I will definitely need some beach and swimming. laugh

The kind of hotel I am looking for should be something like a B&B, small cozy, friendly atmosphere and not too expensive. I am not into luxury too much.

@Pugwash: Could you give me some examples for the intra-country travel fares? We were considering hiring a car, could that be a good "alternative" or is it very expensive?

Another question I hope it is ok to ask: would it be worth crossing the borders and taking a look at Mexico or Honduras?

Sha #375850 05/06/10 03:30 PM
Sha, this is not a board for Ambergris only, it just seems like that at times. Just so that you are aware, Ambergris has no surf with regards to crashing waves. It is like lake lap due to the barrier reef off shore about a mile out. If you search the site for lodging you will get about anything you want with regard to price. Its all here in various forms.

S
Sha Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Uh I'm not into surfing. I grew up in southern France on the mediterranean coast. I want flat lake water to laze around in the sun. If I need adventure I'll go backpacking in the mountains. laugh

I've just read around the other board a little. Harsh tone from time to time.

Could anyone here recomment a Blog that talk about everyday life? I've found some on how to emmigrate to Belize, how to build/buy a hotel, how to retire in Belize, from Hotels and Lodges but nothing that's just plain about everyday life. smile

Sha #375856 05/06/10 04:30 PM
Try this blog.

http://tacogirl.com/

the oasis is a great place...but i would recommend not reading the blog

Last edited by kerry; 05/08/10 06:12 PM.
S
Sha Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the links!
Both Blogs look great!

Especially the pics! It's so beautiful.

Another question that might seem weird: is there a textile industry in Belize? Are there any cotton growing farms or other fabrics that are made locally?

Last edited by Sha; 05/07/10 03:18 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.