Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joe, Jr. One of my clients wants to go to SP for one week of doing ABSOLUTELY nothing. He doesn't want to go to Mexico and of course, his travel agent is pushing the new southern resorts on the Mayan Riviera. I've recommended a couple of places to him based on what I've read here because I'm thinking that the places I stay would not be enough for him and his wife. One of the places that I've recommended was Mata Chica. Based on the little bit I've told you here, would you say this is a good choice for him?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

K
K
denverdan-Hope
Thanks for asking, Hope! (No, this wasn't directed to Joe Jr's trip report)... for it was late last night and didn't have time for much, plus I think every one can read my mind (ha, ha).
I was responding to the Topic "Temptation 2 @ Mata Chica & Morgans" (refer to my posting of 04/12/2001, Coming to AC, May 4th-15th).
I know this topic of "Temptation Island" was hashed over many months ago and at that time I wasn't on the board to give my piece. But every time the topic comes up my skin crawls. If I were an owner of one of the resorts approached by Fox, I would also have a hard time turning down easy advertising and bucks... it would come down to a moral choice...for the program so distorted what Belize and its people are about - my heart is sad. Sure they were showing you the lovely scenes of the country... but the fiber of the program was - how can we take a group of shallow, cosmo people, mix their senses up and push them as far as we can to the edge of destruction, and be entertained by this?! We dare call this country of Belize poor. The only thing I see them (Belizians) lacking is a naivety in being too kind, for hasn't it been our past nature to destroy someone else's possessions to get 1% of the gold for ourselves? I would hope these resort owners would ban together and tell Fox, "Shame me once-shame on you! Shame me twice-shame on me!" But then we don't live in a perfect world do we?
Fox, this is not an original idea! The people I spoke with said they could only watch five minutes of this BULL before changing the channel. Who's fleecing you??
Ken

Hi Seashell

If mata chica does close for the Fox show you may like to consider Playa blanca resort which is just North of mata chica.

i have 5 Luxurious beachfront Condos from $1600sq ft up and it would be a great quiet place for your client just to kick back and do nothing.

let me know if the mata chica thing does not work out

regards

Gaz Cooper www.divebelize.com www.playablancabelize.com (under construction)

Hey Holly!
Nice to see your name here.... how have you been? Remember poor ole me? laugh

Thanks Gaz! The rumored FOX closures won't affect my client's holiday. He and his wife are taking their vacation in early May. I don't know if Mata Chica is in or out. I'd like to hear more about it and also, more about your recommended resort. So far, I've suggested Mata Chica, Victoria House, Banyan Bay and The Yacht Club to him. I'm thinking too of Ramones. The rooms aren't anywhere near as nice but the atmosphere might be what he needs to unwind. I'd recommend PV to him too except I'm afraid that he may have higher expectations for the interior of the rooms. I know this sounds like a contradiction after what I said about Ramones. While I think the grounds at PV are very lovely, the grounds at Ramone's are seriously set up for being a tourist.

J
Joe Jr Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Seashell,
I think for any couple wanting to get away and enjoy the solitude and spend quality time , romance Mata Chica is an excellent choice. The rooms and restaurant are wonderful. Remember, the island is not like other developed islands, it is pure solitude with a walk on the beach the only diversion. The rear of the property and to the North is a lagoon not suitable for hiking, trust me!But as a relaxing place with excellent food i wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, if thats what you are looking for. Again I was there with my wife,11 and 13 year old who wanted to be more on the go. My fault for choosing that resort.Things about the place bothered me that perhaps wouldn't bother others, but again this was a family not a couple. Hope this helps.

D
D
Can someone explain the lagoon side of the island to me? From pix I've seen it looks beautiful, but I've never heard a good comment on it.... thanx!!!!

Joe Jr., thanks so much. I've been there 3 times and I wouldn't stay at Mata Chica. Too quiet and isolated for me (not to mention the price :^)) However, it may be just what my client and his wife are looking for. They want to get away and just do nothing except sun and water. How far is it to SP proper? Can they walk to it, take a golf cart, or do you have to take a boat?

J
Joe Jr Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Diane / Seashell
The lagoon is in the rear of the property probably 500 yards from the resort. You would never know it existed except for me and my kids exploring nature. It is not offensive, just a part of the natural terrain of the island and is home to many forms of life. When we went there we were all eaten for dinner by bugs that attached to our legs and there surrounding area of the lagoion was six muddy. Its natural terrain but not suitable for walking or hiking / exploring. No bugs at the rrsort though. The mata property is probably about 3 acres in size with appx. 14 units on the property. The only way to town is a 15 minute boat ride which is pleasant, the water and coastline is beautiful, $20 roundtrip by taxi, discount tokens available for anyone coming to the resort to eat and spend their money, not available for guests who want to go to town. This irked me to death at $300. / night, still bothers me. San Pedro is not accessible by golf cart, there is no trails, roads or paths out of the property. The walk would not be practical, I would estimate several hours and then the hand ferry to San Pedro. You must take a boat. Little things bothered me about our stay. We were promised the Blueberry unit on the email confirmation we received. when we arrived we were put in the unit adjacent to the rrestaurant three cabanas from the blueberry. The pictures on the website show a view from behind and alongside the blueberry and it was quite stunning. The view was better and the porch had a full size hammock vs. a "single seater" ( a sit up type). When my wife asked to be moved we were told it was occupied and they would be moving out the next day and Phillipe said he would see about moving us. Nadia then got involved and wasn't sure if that was possible, they would let us know. Never another mention of the matter. I thought to forget about it and relax and go on. On a daily basis we wanted to go to San Pedro and see the sights and feel the ambiance of AC. On at least 3 occasions the Mata boat left without us forcing us to stand at the docks edge or on the beach waiting sometimes 1/2 hr. + for the boat to leave each day. With and 11 and 13 year old standing around is not a simple matter, plus I felt like I was wasting valuable time each day trying to save $80 on the taxi. A simple knock on the door with a we're leaving would be appropriate but never happened. They don't make it easy. The owner made a comment the 2nd day asking why would we want to spend our time in town? I got the feeling they wanted us exclusively at their resort to drink & eat 3 meals a day and oleave on their tours ( which they get a cut of) and secondly I didn't think it was any of their business what we did with our time. Their tours were great but Lamanai was $125 us X 4 + $500. tour and then another expensive dinner at the resort, hey the money tree hasn't blossomed in Connecticut yet. But again for an unlimited budget its a great place. I also didn't like the treatment of the help at the resort. I witnessed a waitress being screamed at for forgetting a flower on breakfast plate and since most help was new at the resort with the exception of 2 I got more than the feeling that is was not a pleasant working environment, Ill say no more. Again, insignificant to some but i treat people of all racers and wealth the same and didn't get that feeling there. Elitist, maybe / probably in my opinion. I met garfish at the Mata, helluva nice guy, wish i had more time to spend with him. He was there for only 3-4 days then to Turneff Islands. With his wife for a short stay it was great for him. Even alone with my wife these things would have bothered me though. Not for everyone but some will love it.

Thanks Joe Jr. That was a great report and now I feel fully informed. This is not the place for them. I know the wife would really like to be able to walk around the town whenever she felt like it. Mata Chica doesn't have a pool either, I don't think and she'd like to have that. I'm going to recommend Victoria House, Yacht Club and Banyan Bay (which is probably a non-starter, since they don't need two bedrooms). Any other input anyone? TIA

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 296 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.