Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#376325 05/10/10 11:50 PM
OP Offline
I watched the Oscar winning documentary The Cove last night which is about the secret cove in Tajei in Japan where every September they herd thousands of Bottlenose dolphins into a small cove and kill them en mass including babys.

I can certainly see why to got the Oscar but more importantly the fact that this goes on in this day and age is shocking.

I urge everyone to watch this movie and for anyone that has had the luck to swim with these creatures in the wild its an even more emotional journey as you hear them screaming as they are being slaughtered.

Its a very moving movie and rams home just how cruel humans can be.

http://www.takepart.com/thecove/

Gaz Cooper

P
P
Why do they do it?

OP Offline
2 reasons

1.) To sell Dolphins to the Dolphin shows around the world

2.) To Eat them

Gaz

P
P
Yes, I just watched the website. Quite sickening, but sadly not untypical of what goes on in SE Asia in general.

OP Offline
The fact that the meat is contaminated with extreme high amounts of Mercury kinda makes it even more ridiculous and the movie shows they sell Dolphin meat in Japan labeled under other meat and the bought some and DNA tested it and it was dolphin.

Everyone should really watch the movie as it seems the main reason is they sell the best dolphins for up to $154,000 to dolphin aquariums around the world and are the largest dealers in dolphins for aquariums in the world.

Another thing that really struck me is Taijei the town they do this in markets itself as a dolphin tourist town with pictures of dolphins and whales all over the town selling trinkets and dolphin watching boats etc.

then they have there dirty little secret going on in a secret bay.

Gaz

P
P
I wonder how on earth this was filmed. I remember watching a film secretly made in another SE Asian country (can't remember which), which showed cats being kept in appalling conditions in cages, as many as 100 in a cage we would use for a single medium-sized dog, then pulled out one-by-one, dunked in boiling water, then skinned alive. While still alive the cooking process was commenced, and only after they had finally expired were they gutted. The whole process was designed to cause the maximum suffering for the animals even though it had no beneficial effect on the meat, and the film makers concluded that these people were deliberately trying to show that they despised animals and regarded them as nothing more than conveniences for their own aims and sadism.

The restaurant that this was going on at the back of was in a main tourist street, and tourists were shown sitting at tables, eating whatever. Either they really didn't know what was happening a few yards away and producing the most blood-curdling noises as the animals screamed in agony, or they knew or suspected but really didn't care.

The activity was technically illegal in that country though the police well know what was happening and did nothing to stop it, and the secret filmmakers were genuinely in fear of their lives as they were making it. The filmers were local nationals, as westerners would have been immediately suspect. On one occasion one of the kitchen staff suspected there was a camera, and the scene as the filmer ran off with his camera still running amply demonstrated the danger they put themselves in. They said that as well as avoiding detection by the restaurant staff they had to avoid the police, who would merely detain them long enough for the restaurant staff to catch up.

The film was broadcast on BBC TV maybe 25 years ago and there were a few days of vocal outrage, then people forgot. It's the main reason I've never wanted to visit that part of the world.

I've seen other documentaries and/or video news articles about this place and the appalling actions.

It is beyond sickening and it is good that the word is getting out.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

OP Offline
I wonder how on earth this was filmed.

Be sure to watch the movie it is a complete stealth operation very well done but very dangerous as all the police were involved and the major etc they have to do it while being tailed and being threatened.

I am afraid if it had been me on that team i would of took out a couple of them jap guys if they got into my face like they did with them.

very dangerous for them

Gaz

S
Sha Offline
S
Oh god! I never get how any human being can be so mean to an animal. It's just so wrong!

Thanks for the recommendation. Will see if they have the movie in the audio library here!

And dolphins are some of the highest forms of intelligent life. Same say higher than Human...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 277 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.