Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#376864 05/13/10 06:32 PM
B
OP Offline
B
but this GST tax hike is BRUTAL. Just did the taxes for the bar/restaurant, unbelievable. Curious how many businesses this closes down...

What is unbelievable about 2 1/2% more. You pay $0.025 more for every $ you take in. If every business paid GST in the first place they would not have had to rise GST.

B
OP Offline
B
A 25% increase with almost zero notice is crazy to me. And..they don't seem all that worried about finding those that don't pay. Wouldn't take more than a one guy and a few weeks to nab most of them in San Pedro.

Very true, but when a Sale Tax Officer came to my restaurant wanted me to pay her 5,000 I told her I would not pay she took 500 and went away, that is life in San Pedro.

Last edited by Inplub; 05/14/10 12:31 PM.
P
P
I wonder where that 500 ended up...?

I once received a very blunt demand for some vast sum of money in overdue tax and penalties for not submitting a return for some particular month about 2.5 years previously. I thought at the time (and was subsequently proved almost certainly right) that the month had been picked at random, as being sufficiently far back that they didn't think I'd be able to prove them wrong. I called their bluff (knowing that I had all records) and told them it was in a year that had already been audited by them and there was no need for me to go back into it. They assumed that I was being defensive as I couldn't produce the proof, so they started proceedings against me. My defence was as I said above. They persisted, but clearly didn't actually want the case heard in Court so the top guy came to see me. I told him that I had proof that my affairs were in order and probable proof that their actions were knowingly false and malicious. He had the sense to understand what I was saying and that was the last I ever heard of the matter. I also never again had a GST audit.

It is fine if you have the proof, but I was set up by her in the first place and could not prove it, she put the money in her pocket and I believe that is were the 5,000 would have gone as well. I was new and fell for her trick.

C
C
you didn't get a recipt?

C
C
I just received a tax bill for December 2005 saying I was 1 cent short on paying, so they are assessing me penalties and interest for $36. In the past I had started rounding up a little on my payment because I would get ridiculous bills sent nearly every month, for 5, 10, 20 dollars. Incidently that business has been closed for 2 years. Will I fight it? I am mulling that over right now. I am not sure I even have the receipts going that far back... but we will see. I will post an update if I decide to fight it. The cost of the water taxi ticket is more than the fine.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.