Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#377456 05/19/10 08:54 AM
S
OP Offline
S
What is the best way to dispose of lawn / tree clippings in town? We know we can't burn them, but don't want to use plastic bags if there is another alternative. I am specifically asking about the area around the Casa Picassa. Thanks!

Its becoming a problem with me also, no more vacant lots to dump on up here anymore,but we still burn a little. What I've started doing is using it as land fill. I find a low spot and start mulching. seaweed as well but the salt in sea weed should be considered as it will kill some of the plants not salt tolerant.
another method that works well for me is to dig a pit about 5X5 feet as deep as the ground water level and that not only gives you a place to fill but gives a lot of nice white sand to spread around..
Also The North now has a garbage collection system of placing garbage in bags on the end of our docks on designated days and a garbage boat comes by and picks it up.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
P
P
Why is burning banned? I can understand that a fire and its associated smoke can be a nuisance to others, but is there another deeper reason?

S
S
Ask our fire chief

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Elbert - this is what I was looking for. However, our lot is fairly small with no area for fill. Our yard guy wanted to burn it right against the wooden fence (oh no!). Now he is asking for plastic bags to put it in, which is really not working for me either. In the future, I will try to use smaller quantities for a compost area, but this is a ton. There are some vacant grown up areas close by (that appear to be dump sites for some), but I don't want to offend anyone.

Do you think that someone might want it?

snoopysmom is right - she cannot burn the cuttings where she is - it is very close to the airstrip - I would guess that the reasoning would be fairly simple. But in case it isn't clear - when you burn there is lots of smoke, the smoke interferes with visibility for the pilots. Nearby neighbours have wooden homes that can easily catch on fire. The smell of smoke is noxious and disturbing to neighbours. If you can't dig a hole and compost your cuttings you will need to get it hauled to the dump. If you are able to share this expense with a neighbour that would be easier on your budget. Or a wood chipper and making mulch might be the way to go. The town council takes away household refuse at no cost to residences - but garden clippings are not considered household refuse (which is basically your day to day plastic trash, food scrapings etc.) If you have a broken fridge, fan or wheelbarrow you are expected to pay for its removal to the dump. It would not be adviseable to dump your clippings, trash or refuse on vacant lots since those lots belong to people that may not appreciate hosting your trash. In some cases people might use your garden clippngs for fill, but most likely it needs to go to the dump.

It isn't illegal to burn outdoors - but you must inform and garner permission from the fire chief and the fire department must be on site and on guard for you to legally perform such tasks.

It is an offence to dump your stuff on other people's land, the public roadways and easements etc.

S
S
Last week the Fire Dept. came and outed an unattended fire, burning off chopped weeds from a lot. The Fire Chief said that as soon as he returned to his station he would go to the Police station next door and file a formal complaint against the lot owner.

P
P
Originally Posted by Amanda Syme
It is an offence to dump your stuff on other people's land, the public roadways and easements etc.

I wish someone would tell my neighbour this. The road near my house is just a garbage dump, with all sorts of unsavoury household rubbish attracting rats. I took photographs (both of the rubbish and of my neighbour dumping it) and took the to the Town Council, but absolutely nothing was done. Then last week a Council machine was used to level the waste. I still don't know whether this dumping is legal (if so it's incredibly unsightly and unhealthy) or not.

L
L
Maybe someone will also tell my neighbor, In this case they (Royal Caribean) dumps all their trash on our common road. Hard to believe a resort would want such an unsightly mess by their resort.

R.B. Mernitz
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 340 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.