Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Bridge toll [Re: swanno] #378470
05/27/10 07:05 PM
05/27/10 07:05 PM
S
Sunny Reef Offline
Sunny Reef  Offline
S
To be honest: I don't see the big problem with this toll. I remember when the hand ferry was still there. At certain times you did not have a chance to go onto this ferry as it filled with bikes as soon as the ferry touched land - in the end they had to organize police to get 2 golf carts on board.
They have a bridge now, it's much more convenient and for convenience you pay nowadays! Also do we really want the tourists who do not want to afford 5 US$ daily to help the community? and all the poor people living North in their 450000 US$ house - do they really have to cry for 5 US$ daily?

If you live in Manhattan and need to access your property you pay for the tunnels; if you live in San Diego in the Coronada area you pay; if you use a highway in France, Spain or Italy you pay and why not pay for the use of this bridge: Our community needs money urgently and that's how they get some.

I'm also not sure if we should make it happen that more and more gasoline golf carts would pollute our air with short rides to the baker and to buy some cigarettes - if we would think environmental we should consider to make the bridge more expensive!?

The reason why we do not have weekly passes or 10-day-passes is because we're not able to get together and make our life better - together. If we would organize and TOGETHER get the town board under pressure we would have weekly passes again for a long time.

Why don't we have a communal transportation? Why don't we have some 20-seater electrical vehicle that run from Victoria House till 3 Miles North and back - in a 15-minutes rhythm and our short rides to the baker would be uncomplicated and easy going and cheap and the electrical vehicles could be charged on solar energy! The heavy traffic situation in San Pedro would immediately get better and everything would be fine?

Again another beautiful day in paradise - just smile and be happy :-)
Re: Bridge toll [Re: Sunny Reef] #378472
05/27/10 07:42 PM
05/27/10 07:42 PM
San Pedro
Cayemen Offline
Cayemen  Offline
Do they have extend the opening hours, or was it always till 9pm for selling the tickets?

Re: Bridge toll [Re: Sunny Reef] #378473
05/27/10 07:45 PM
05/27/10 07:45 PM
MSU
PalapaBob Offline
PalapaBob  Offline
//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/240620/Searchpage/1/Main/25600/Words/%22COrona+Steve%27/Search/true/Re_Corona_Freeway.html#Post240620

Who knew our old buddy Corona Steve was such a soothsayer......................... smirk

Last edited by PalapaBob; 05/27/10 07:50 PM.

I've already told you more than I know.
Re: Bridge toll [Re: PalapaBob] #378479
05/27/10 08:58 PM
05/27/10 08:58 PM
Texas
tcoats Offline
tcoats  Offline
Oh, I wish it were only $5US per day, as Sunny Reef indicates. It is $5US PER round trip. $5US per day wouldn't be so bad!

We own property north of the bridge and don't have a boat. We love going into town and usually make three or four round trips each day. I imagine others do the same.

Even if we take our bikes, it still costs us to cross the bridge.

Cayemen, the toll booth has always been open until 9:00 p.m. on every one of my trips.

I really wish that property owners who pay property taxes would be able to access their property without paying a toll, like the locals, and I wish that the Town Council would sell one-week, two-week, three-week, and monthly passes for the tourists. Meets everyone's needs.

If I could buy a one-week pass for 1/4 of the monthly pass fee (i.e. $18.75US) I wouldn't be so unsatisfied, but to be forced to buy a month's pass for the five days that I need it stinks.

Re: Bridge toll [Re: tcoats] #378531
05/28/10 02:27 PM
05/28/10 02:27 PM
S
Sunny Reef Offline
Sunny Reef  Offline
S
Once more my question:
Why don't we have a communal transportation? Why don't we have some 20-seater electrical vehicle that run from Victoria House till 3 Miles North and back - in a 15-minutes rhythm and our short rides to the baker would be uncomplicated and easy going and cheap and the electrical vehicles could be charged on solar energy! The heavy traffic situation in San Pedro would immediately get better and everything would be fine?

Again another beautiful day in paradise - just smile and be happy :-)
Re: Bridge toll [Re: Sunny Reef] #378532
05/28/10 02:31 PM
05/28/10 02:31 PM
S
SP Daily Offline
SP Daily  Offline
S
Who is gonna pay for them? And where can you purchase a vehicle like that with the range and durability to survive?

Re: Bridge toll [Re: SP Daily] #378536
05/28/10 03:27 PM
05/28/10 03:27 PM
South Ambergris Caye
JZB Offline
JZB  Offline
I think the taxi associations would have a huge problem with it also.

Re: Bridge toll [Re: JZB] #378542
05/28/10 04:26 PM
05/28/10 04:26 PM
Gecko Graphics, San Pedro, Bel...
HOT_Card Offline
HOT_Card  Offline
I believe the Chamber of Commerce tried to start something like this maybe a year or so ago and the taxi associations had it closed down.

Re: Bridge toll [Re: Sunny Reef] #378553
05/28/10 06:52 PM
05/28/10 06:52 PM
reaper Offline
reaper  Offline
The Coronado Bridge has been paid for and there hasn't been a toll for years.

I like your "Electric Trolley Car" idea for San Pedro. But I think the pot holes, muddy days, bumps and ocean climate would kill the idea quickly! And it also seems San Pedranos LOVE their golf carts/Rhino?Polaris vehicles, like us SoCal car addicted residents.

I would just like to see where all of that toll cash goes, and see when the bridge gets paid off. Then that cash should be used to fund the PD, FD and an EMS system. My 2 cents bze.

Re: Bridge toll [Re: reaper] #378563
05/28/10 08:11 PM
05/28/10 08:11 PM
Ontario, Canada
N
Northern Canuck Offline
Northern Canuck  Offline
N
Just because in the US toll roads/bridges are the norm that doesn't mean everywhere must follow. In Canada very few toll bridges and toll roads and all have alternate routes. Looks like another tourist money grab...
We were told the bridge was built by a Texan and it would take years of tolls to pay him back... Another story I guess... Too bad. Ane yes the locals do not pay a toll as I have noticed anyway.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!
Maruba Beach Klub and Spa is the premiere Secret Beach spa and restaurant located on the crystal blue waters of the Caribbean Sea at the center of Secret Beach, Belize
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler
First Class Accommodations for the Budget Traveler

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
To Get Your Questions Answered

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
San Pedro Fun Finder
Paradise Guy Event Calendar
Cayo Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Belize Happy Adventures
Conch Creative
Caribbean Culture & Lifestyle
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
ShoutChat Box
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Marty), 227 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics75,311
Posts490,656
Members19,964
Most Online5,530
Jun 13th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.