Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
Has anyone in Belize obtained one of these? How easy was it to get and what does it cost? I can't seem to get any sense out of BTL.

Its very simple. You must have the 1MB or 2MB dsl service. You then apply for a static ip address that costs an additional $10 per month.

P
OP Offline
P
No, that's not so. $10/month buys you a more restricted choice of addresses (eight, I think) but each time you log on you may get any one of those eight. I believe to get an absolutely fixed IP address is possible but very expensive, but I can't seem to find the actual facts. Someone said it costs $300/month but I haven't been able to confirm that.

I have a dedicated static ip address to operate my webcams. The address is fixed and doesn't change. I pay the $330 per month 1mb service plus the $10 for the fixed ip.

I couldn't run my cameras on the web without having a static address.

It would be nice to continue debating this but I know this for a fact.

I have a static IP address here in the US and I pay $10 US per month.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
P
OP Offline
P
Well, I have just set up webcams without using a dedicated IP address and they seem to be working. Tricky bit of software to run them. BTL told me that there were three levels of service re IP addresses - totally floating, floating within a restricted range, and fixed. It wouldn't surprise me to find that wasn't true, mind. They are pretty hopeless on giving information.

I had a static IP address in the UK without there being any extra charge, but we're talking about Belize which has bought way too few IP addresses.

P
OP Offline
P
OK, I've managed to speak to a technician, and what I was told by the sales people was nonsense. I'll spell it out here for the benefit of others.

Given that you have either the 1mb or 2mb service, for $10/month extra you are assigned a block of eight IP addresses that remain uniquely yours. The first two and the last one are used for BTL purposes and are not available for customer use. The remaining five are freely available for customer use and never change.

So Amanda you were right (of course!), but what you said was diametrically opposed to what BTL Sales told me, even though I went back to them and queried what they had said.

The type of webcams that I have to service the weather website have to have dedicated static ip addresses if you wish to maneuver them remotely (ie from overseas.)

P
OP Offline
P
Yes. I couldn't understand how mine worked at all without a dedicated IP address, so when it stopped working I wasn't surprised. Turns out that I did have a static IP address (I actually have four spare that I'm not using!) and the failure was something else.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 364 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.