Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#37904 04/23/01 04:40 PM
Y
ybon Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
I have read some posts about luggage not arriving when you do. How big of a problem is this? Do we need to pack a spare bag?

S
S
I haven't seen too many posts about problems with luggage. I think you get that no matter where you travel. Don't think it's a big problem in Belize. Correct me if I'm wrong, Experts! Anyway, that's really a problem with the airlines. I always pack a spare carry-on "just in case". Doesn't matter where I travel. Have fun on your trip!

K
K
We have a house on the island and visit about 3 times a year. We always bring the max allowed regarding luggage. The luggage usually makes it to the International, however the trip from Belize to San Pedro has had its share of problems.If they don't have room on your flight they will put it on the next plane, or one that has the extra space. When delayed, they will deliver to your hotel or hold it for you. With all the delays, we have received every piece, usually by the next day. Its wise to have an overnight case with one set of clothing. (thats all you need anyway) We are leaving Thursday for three weeks and can't wait. Have a great trip.

On our first trip, I purposely packed light...one pilot case that I intended to carry on. Well, of course, TACA didn't let me take it on the plane with me as the flight was crowded. Needless to say, when we arrived in Belize City, my luggage was still in San Pedro Sula, Honduras. It arrived the next day, but, in the meantime, I had no swimsuit. And I ended up wearing a pair of my boyfriend's shorts!
So my best advice is, no matter how light or heavy you pack, make sure you have all your "essentials" in a bag that you can carry on the plane!

Twenty six days til our return!!!

[This message has been edited by ccla (edited 04-23-2001).]

Peace,
Carla
I always carry on what I can't replace: Two U/W camera cases where I manage to fit in my Rx mask, regulator, swim suit and meds.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
ALWAYS take a 'carry on' and include some of the essentials in case of lost luggage. To date I have not had any lost luggage problems in Belize but can't say the same for other places. Last trip to London, England had one bag 'lost' for three days! I try to pack my bags so that IF one is misplaced, I am not totally impacted by delayed bag. But hey, isn't this all part of what makes our trips memorable?

Don't sweat the small stuff..

Don't worry, be happy.

I'd be happy if my next trip to AC was happening.. Cheers Gail

A
A
Ybon,

I hate to bust your groove and all, but I lost my luggage on the way to AC. It was probably my post you read, although I had not intended to make a big fuss about it.

I lost my luggage after checking it on my way to Belize. It never got there that day or any day for that matter! Fortunately, I had a suit and sunscreen in my carry on, as I mentioned before. My inconveniences really had little to do with not having any clothes while I was there-- you don't really need any!!

The problems arose when I had to contact Belize City everyday and wait on hold for a transfer to someone who could help me. This became costly and time consuming. I was given 125US for my trouble once I reached Belize City- but not without a major hassle.

Considering I was on vacation, I tried to take it all in stride. However, it has been over a month since I last saw my belongings and it doesn't look like I will ever see my pretty new clothes again. The policy at American is that they can search for your bag for 5 weeks from the time you submit your paper work before it is declared a loss. As of yesterday, I was told that baggage claims is back logged and they now have TWELVE weeks to seach for my bag before it can be declared a loss. I have no recourse in thier decision!!!

I'm looking at settling this claim by late July! My advice( this may sound ridiculous and extreme) is not to bring anything you might feel bad about never seeing again. Attire is very casual in AC so don't worry about bringing nice clothes. I took my undergarments to the laudromat on Middle St. to recycle what little I did have to wear. I never ever thought to be so cautious before, but now that I see what can happen.....I'm sure this is very rare but if it happened to you atleast you know that you packed with these precautions in mind.

Y
ybon Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Thank you all for your input, I think that i will be sure to carry an extra bag Just in case!

AC Beach Bum: Sorry about all the Trouble with your luggage! Its great to know that you still had a great time even without the finer thing.
I can't wait till I get to vacation, I only have oh about 6 1/2 months left!! My goodness that seems like a life Time!

L
L
I think that is BS that it would take 12 weeks for a baggage search. I would definitely put my complaints in writing and consider filing a complaint (guess that is just the lawyer in me). I know everyone makes mistakes, but that is unreasonable.

A
A
Ybon,

With the help of all the people on the board, your six months will pass in no time!

Okay, I hate to bring this issue to the top again, but lmarquis you got me thinking. I too had the same accomdating "people make mistakes attitude", but when I was told 12 weeks 2 days ago and the person on the phone seemed totally indifferent to my situation I was outraged! I can't afford to replace all items in that bag unless I know for sure they will never be seen again. When I asked her what my chances are that they will show up, she told me 50/50!!

Maybe someone here works for an airline or knows soneone who does that can verify that this is the policy. I filed ANOTHER complaint with AA yesterday and customer relations said that baggage claims is a whole separate thing and not their problem-- talk about passing the responsibility off!

So, if anyone out there knows an effective way to put an end to this and settle up, I would be so appreciative. As it is, Customer Relations does not have an 800 number and it's costing me a fortune calling Tx during business hours.

I don't mean to sound miserable, you CAN have a great time in AC without clothes!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.