Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The PSE results were sent out at 6:05 this evening, and a quick review of the 20 page press release shows that overall, national averages increased in English, Math, science and social studies. Of course, the grades overall are still very worrying. In English, the average score is 63%, a 5% increase over last year and is also the highest performance in English since PSE started in the year 2000. The 2010 mean score for math is 53% an increase of more than 6 percentage points over last year. Science was up sharply; this year's mean score of just a shade under 70% is the highest since the inception of the PSE - and is the first time any subject has registered close to getting a B which is marked at 70%. In Social Studies, the mean score of 63.8 is three points higher than the 2009 average. So overall, the results are encouraging; in English and science the scores are the highest yet recorded - and there's a lot to be analyzed - after all, the press release is 20 pages!

But there's also a lot to be celebrated for the top finishers. The number one student is Siian Rancharan from Hummingbird Elementary who scored 386 out of 400 points. Second is Deanna Gibson from Pancotto Primary a Methodist school in Sandhill; she got 383 out of 400 points. Third is Kelsey Musa from Belize Elementary who got 380 out of 400 points. The other top finishers are Henry Fernandez who got 379 points at St. Francis Xavier in Corozal, and then a 6 way tie with 377 points: Nadia Sedasey, form st. Ignatius, Alexander King From Hummingbird Elementary,. Mishek Musa from hummingbird elementary, Kenay Castillo from United Evergreen Sandrina Ocaheta from Scared Heart and Cindy Espinall form Solid rock.

Congrats to those outstanding finishers - and we'll have more analysis of the results on Monday.

Channel 7

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Siian Rancharan tops the country in 2010 P.S.E

Official results for the Primary School Examinations have been released and the scores are considerably better in English, Math and Science. Six thousand, six hundred and sixty-one students sat the exams this year. The lengthy release from the Ministry of Education was released late this evening and a quick peruse of the nineteen page document shows the list of best scorers. At number ten is Ochaeta Sandrina from Sacred Heart, number nine is Kenya Castillo of United Evergreen, number eight is Mishek Musa of Hummingbird, number seven is Alexander King, also of Hummingbird Elementary, number six is Nadiya Sedasey of Saint Ignatius RC in Belize City, number five is Lement Chun of Saint Francis Xavier, number four is Henry Fernandez of Santa Elena Primary, Number three is Kelsey Musa of Belize Elementary, number two is Deanna Gibson of Pancotto Primary and the highest score in the PSE was attained by twelve-year old Siian Rancharan, a student of Hummingbird Elementary, who scored three hundred and eighty-six of a possible four hundred points. Siian is the son of Channel Five's CEO Amalia Mai and Juan Rancharan and he is in our studios tonight. Goodnight Siian.

Marleni Cuellar

"How are you feeling? Obviously out of breath."

Siian Rancharan, Top PSE Scorer 2010

"Well, I feel excited and-well, of course I’m excited. I’m proud of myself and I feel that I’ve done a wonderful feat and not only would I like to share my congratulations with everyone and of course all my supportive parents and people around me and I'd like to say thank you to all of you who care about me and who followed me through this wonderful process of me getting all the way to the top. Thank you."

Marleni Cuellar

"Now, Siian I know most kids are very anxious about taking the PSE and there’s a lot of preparation that the school and your fellow classmates go through. What was your experience like in preparing for the exam?"

Siian Rancharan

"Well, of course studying was a big part. Reading over notes was very important to me and making sure that I didn't get too stressed out with it. not studying before the PSE really calmed my nerves because when you do that you just get pressured that you should know everything. And I feel that all the things that I’ve learned; my topics, my notes, all the lessons and life skills I’ve learned from my teacher so far have really helped me in the PSE."

Marleni Cuellar

"Okay. Now a lot of parents try to prepare their kids as best as possible. What would you say to other kids getting ready for the PSE in terms being able to really excel?"

Siian Rancharan

"Well, I think I would say to them, try your best, don't worry about what other people say to you. Make sure that you study of course. Makre sure that you know all of your material and one thing to keep in mind is don't forget that you have a love and support all the way."

Marleni Cuellar

"And what’s your plans for celebrating?"

Siian Rancharan

"Well, I’m not too sure yet."

Marleni Cuellar

"You’re gonna find out later?"

Siian Rancharan

"Yes, I hope so."

Marleni Cuellar

"And what high school are going to go to?"

Siian Rancharan

"Saint John's of course."

Marleni Cuellar

"Alright. Well, congratulations Siian and thank you for sharing that with us."

Siian Rancharan

"Thank you."

We'll have a more and detailed report on the PSE results on Monday.

Channel 5

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Isla Bonita Elementary Student Tops PSE Scores in San Pedro

The Primary School Examination results are out and the students from San Pedro Town did an excellent job! The top scorers this year where Brian Schweigler of Isla Bonita Elementary School (91% - 364/400 points), Andreina Acosta of San Pedro R.C. School (90% - 360/400 points) and Odalys Duarte of SPRC School & Mahe Gonzalez of New Horizon SDA School both with (89% - 356/400 points).

A total of 6, 667 students sat the PSE and this year the scores were considerably better in English, Math and Science. The Top Achiever for this year's PSE was Siian Rancharan of Hummingbird Elementary in Belize who scored a 96.5% (386/400points). The following are the results for schools here on the island:

San Pedro R.C. School
55 Students took the test - All Passed
1. Andreina Acosta - 90% (360/400)**
2. Odalys Duarte - 89% (356/400)***
3. Pete Ayuso - 86.5% (346/400)

Isla Bonita Elementary School
11 students took the test - 2 Special Ed. - 1 Failed
1. Brian Schweigler - 91% (364/400)*
2. Sofia Miglio - 87.7% (351/400)
3. Jasmine Ritchie - 84.5% (338/400)

Ambergris Caye Elementary School
3 Students took the test - All Passed
1. Brandon Ramirez - 87% (348/400)
2. David Verralls - 81.25% (325/400)
3. Vivel Rodriguez - 67.75% (271/400)

New Horizon SDA School
26 Students took the test - 22 Passed
1. Mahe Gonzalez - 89% (356/400)***
2. Gian Rivero - 81% (327/400)
3. Jessica Pinelo - 79% (316/400)

Holy Cross Anglican School
37 Students took the test - 30 Passed
1. Rosa Lopez - 80.5% (322/400)
2. Zoila Canek - 80.25% (321/400)
3. Ethel Villatoro - 80% (320/400)

Maestro Reyes School of Knowledge
5 Students took the test - All passed
1. Darsi Zepeda - 73.75% (295/400)
2. Janelle Tillette - 70.5% (282/400)
3. Amari Duncan - 67% (268/400)

The Island Academy
9 Students took the test - All Passed
1. Kayla Couch - 82% (324/400)
2. Einer Gomez - 77.5% (310/400)
3. Eliot Budd - 75.75% (303/400)

Ambergris Today

Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

La Isla Bonita Elementary student scores highest in PSE on the island

Sophia, Brian and Jasmine

Andriana, Odalis, Pedro, Pablo

Mahe
(missing from the photos are Raquel and Brandon)

With 364 points out of a possible 400, Isla Bonita Elementary student Brian Schweigler is the island's highest PSE scorer. The Primary School Examination (PSE) is a two-part exam given to students to assess their achievement of curriculum content and skills in the areas of English, Mathematics, Social Studies and Science of the National Primary School Curriculum. In a release by the Ministry of Education, it states that "the examination seeks not to rank students in comparison to other students, but to report what each student has achieved for individual skills." In other words, while there are top students in each school, their performance is irrelevant to other students' performance. The exam is meant to gauge performance and helps in the decision-making of the educational system when it comes to policies, planning and practice at national, district, school and classroom levels.

The Ministry further reiterates that the PSE is not intended to be used as the sole criteria for secondary school admission.

182 students from San Pedro (149) and Caye Caulker (33) sat the exams this year. Of that figure, 164 passed and 18 failed. Below find a breakdown of the scores of all 182 students:

25- A (80-100 Excellent) Pass
52- B (70-79 Competent) Pass
52- C-( 60-69-Satisfactory) Pass
34- D ( 50-59 Adequate) Pass
18- E ( 0-49 Inadequate) Fail

The San Pedro Sun spoke to various principals across the island, and they expressed their pleasure at the marked improvements with their students. Principal Roxani Kay of San Pedro RC School was especially pleased with the 100% pass results from her students. Of the 55 that sat the exam, all 55 passed. This trend was also seen at Island Academy, with 9/9 passes, and Ambergris Caye Elementary School, with 3/3 passes. St Peter's Elementary had one student sit the exam and he also passed. New Horizon's SDA had 25/28, Isla Bonita Elementary had 10/11, Holy Cross Anglican School had 30/36, and Caye Caulker RC had 30/33 passes. (At press time, MRSK was the only school whose figures were unavailable). According to RC School's Principal Kay, the students who did well were pretty much expected to do so, but teachers are especially pleased with the improvements from the students overall, and to them, it means that they are moving in the right direction. Mrs. Kay asks parents to continue supporting the hard work of their children and their teachers. It is obvious that putting in extra hours to study has paid off.

Below find a list of the top ten scorers on the island. Kudos to the students for their hard work and to the teachers, parents and all those who assisted them in their quest for academic excellence:

Brian Schweigler - La Isla Bonita Elementary School - 364/400
Andreina Acosta - San Pedro RC School - 360/400
Odalis Duarte - San Pedro R.C. School - 356/400
Mahe Pereira - New Horizon S.D.A. - 356/400
Sophia Miglio - La Isla Bonita Elementary School - 351/400
Brandon Ramirez - Ambergris Caye Elementary School - 348/400
Pedro Ayuso - San Pedro RC School - 346/400
Pablo Barboza - San Pedro RC School - 343/400
Raquel Reyes - San Pedro RC School - 341/400
Jasmine Ritchie - La Isla Bonita Elementary School - 338/400

The country's top performers will be recognized at a national award ceremony later this month. Siian Rancharan, the nation's top scorer, will receive the Jane and Michael Nemhard award, which includes a computer and financial assistance to the high school of his choice.

San Pedro Sun

Congratulations to all these fine youths. smile

P
P
Is this an exam taken at the end of primary schooling, with all entrants at roughly the same age? What is that age? From the pictures there seems to be quite a large age range. I thought some of these schools were true primary schools, but others (Island Academy for example) go on into the "middle school" age range.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 141 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,198
Posts500,015
Members20,458
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.