Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Beware Caye Caulker Water Taxi Baggage Thieves [Re: Peter Jones] #378102
05/23/10 11:28 PM
05/23/10 11:28 PM
M
Moonracer Offline OP
Moonracer  Offline OP
M
Exactly my point, Peter Jones. The fact that the camera was stolen doesn't surprise me, but the fact that the company basically said "We know we employ thieves, what's the problem?" does.

And we didn't stick the camera in the bag at the water taxi terminal, we stuck it in the bag at the Zoo, not intending to check the bag...but the bag got checked when the porter grabbed it and the elderly relatives needed help negotiating the terminal, and their carry-ons needed carrying, etc... I admit it was an oversight on our part, and I actually asked my husband where the camera was and when he said it was in his [checked] knapsack we had a brief discussion about retrieving the knapsack, but given the general state of chaos with our party, we just didn't, not thinking that OUR camera would be stolen, and nobody would care.

I stand by avoiding CCWTA due to their attitude towards thievery. The options (San Pedro Express, the airlines) may not be any better, but they haven't yet stolen from me.

Re: Beware Caye Caulker Water Taxi Baggage Thieves [Re: Moonracer] #378111
05/24/10 09:00 AM
05/24/10 09:00 AM
inuvi
papashine Offline
papashine  Offline
Theres nothing like a fair trial, if you feel so strongly that the theft was done by an employee at the water taxi, file a complaint with the police and have them investigate the occurrence. Theft is still a crime even in Belize.

Reality..What a concept!
Re: Beware Caye Caulker Water Taxi Baggage Thieves [Re: Peter Jones] #378117
05/24/10 09:28 AM
05/24/10 09:28 AM
Caye Caulker, Belize
C
Cybercayecaulker.com Offline

Cybercayecaulker.com  Offline
C
Moonracer, I am very sorry that happened to you, and they didn't handle it well or even correctly. That is disappointing. I am glad you posted here as a warning to travelers about not checking valuables. However, I had the opposite happen to me about 2 years ago. I was carrying quite an expensive camera, set the case down on the boat, had lots to gather and forgot it on the water taxi. It was discovered by a porter and when I realized that the camera was missing an hour later I went back and they had it for me at the office. Although, right after that another boat "lost" a 30lb order of Caye Coffee, from which they recovered only 1/2 of it and they also "lost" a $300 matt board order. Over the years they have "lost" or misplaced several boxes.
So now I basically use the San Pedro Belize Express almost exclusively, because their pier is practically at my doorstep on Caye Caulker, and I think they handle luggage and cargo in a more professional manner. They have never "lost" anything of mine. When you are in Belize City your bags are checked and you are given a ticket with a number on it. The loading area seems to be under better control than the CCWTA. I am not saying that they are infallable, they just seem more professional to me.
Just my opinion.

Re: Beware Caye Caulker Water Taxi Baggage Thieves [Re: Cybercayecaulker.com] #378126
05/24/10 10:31 AM
05/24/10 10:31 AM
P
Peter Jones Offline
Peter Jones  Offline
P
The last time I returned to SP on a water taxi, in this case the SP one, they dropped a large heavy package in the water while they were unloading. It initially floated, but they just shrugged their shoulders and carried on unloading the boat of baggage and passengers. They then boarded the departing baggage & passengers and the boat left. Only then did someone jump in the water to retrieve the package, which was by then on the bottom. It split as they were trying to lift it, revealing its contents to be printed matter, all patently destroyed. If it had been retrieved the instant it fell in possibly much of it would not have been destroyed.

Re: Beware Caye Caulker Water Taxi Baggage Thieves [Re: Peter Jones] #378622
05/29/10 07:31 PM
05/29/10 07:31 PM
D
Danny2 Offline
Danny2  Offline
D

Get a bait camera together with a gps inside and see where it goes.

Re: Beware Caye Caulker Water Taxi Baggage Thieves [Re: Peter Jones] #379190
06/04/10 09:45 PM
06/04/10 09:45 PM
D
delo Offline
delo  Offline
D
"which bothered us even more. If they know they're employing thieves, why don't they do something about it?

only two possible answers they may have
1. Ostrich mentality
2. They don't care your complain, in their eyes you are such a small client!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Links
Portofino Resort- Now with a new BEACH BAR!!
Click for excellent scuba lessons with Elbert Greer!
Chaa Creek is an award-winning luxury Belize Resort, rated as one of the worlds best Eco Lodges. We are a pioneer in adventure travel to Belize since 1981!

Things to do

News
Daily News
Daily Weather

Classified Ads
BelizeNews.com
San Pedro Sun
Ambergris Today
SP Town Council
Channel 7
Channel 5
Amandala
ReefTV
Love FM
The Reporter
PLUS TV
TV Newscasts
Radio Stations

Click for our
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites

Event Guides
Event Calendar
Specials & Events
Things to Do
SanPedroScoop
iTravel Belize
Paradise Theater
Paradise Guy Event Calendar

Blogs
San Pedro Scoop!
Tia Chocolate
Tacogirl
My Beautiful Belize
I-Travel Belize
Belize Adventure
Belize Hub
Romantic Travel
Bound for Belize
Conch Creative
As The Coconuts Drop
More Blogs...
Search thousands of Belizean-only websites
White Sands Dive Shop - 5 Star PADI Dive Facility - Daily diving, SCUBA instruction and Snorkeling
Caribbean Inspired All Natural Condiments & Spice Blends, Over 100 are Gluten Free!
We manage a variety of homes, apartments, condos and commercial properties here on Ambergris Caye. Our minimum lease on ALL properties is six months.
Click for Ian Anderson's Caves Branch, Welcome to a World of Adventure
Lil Alphonse has snorkel equipment to fit anyone as well as Marine Park Tickets and flotation devices to assist those not as experienced.
Coastal Xpress offers a daily scheduled ferry run to most resorts, restaurants and private piers on the island of Anbergris Caye. We also offer  private and charter water taxi service.
December
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Mini Chat
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ecotrekker56, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics68,110
Posts472,580
Members19,310
Most Online1,262
Jun 10th, 2007

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.