Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you so much. I will check with the AIDS Commission President WarmBlueWater and see if he can help with a letter, though I really don't think Customs will bother you with condoms.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
WarmBlueWater. Could you please PM me your email address so that I can arrange for a letter to be sent to you. Thanks again. This is wonderful.

www.conchcreative.com

collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi WarmBlueWater, we need your name as well so that we can address the letter to you. Please PM me. Thanks.

www.conchcreative.com

delted

Last edited by Gaz Cooper; 06/07/10 11:17 PM. Reason: using one post for 2 subjects
Originally Posted by collyk
On a more serious note, I should stress that most of the people seeking help from the San Pedro AIDS Commission are from the heterosexual community, where all indicators suggest, the epidemic is spreading the most quickly in Belize.

You can't tell if someone is positive by looking at them. Be safe, get tested and don't take risks.

I would argue this point but I don't know the statistics on the infection rate on Ambergris Caye.

Where can these statistics be found do you guys have a website where they can be seen.

Originally Posted by Elbert
Originally Posted By: elbert
I knew this thread was destined to go down hill.
If they are for Belize be sure they say XXL on the box!

Is this big enough Elbert

http://www.mealors.btinternet.co.uk/p/b3ta/stevecondom.jpeg

Gaz

Last edited by Gaz Cooper; 06/07/10 11:19 PM.
N
N
Not meaning to dump on collyk but I fail to see why it is necessary to differentiate between the heterosexual, bisexual and homosexual communites when asking for aid. ALL people in the third world irrespectinve of sex, age, colour, religion, sexual orientation etc. need help from those of us fortunate enough to be able to give. Would your plea be any different if HIV/AIDS was rampant in the homosexual community or more importantly, would the response be different? I agree with Gaz, where can we find the stats to support that statement?

collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
The National AIDS Commission Website is http://www.nacbelize.org/.

I don't recall any stats being given on AIDS infection in Belize by myself or anyone else on this thread. I did state a fact, presented by the President of the San Pedro AIDS Commission regarding the status of patients seeking assistance from us at this time. As far as I know, grants given to specific organisations for specific groups or purposes are only allowed to be used for those purposes. I am saddened that people are questioning the fact that heterosexual infection is a huge problem world wide and deeply concerned that this attitude is what contributes to its prevalence. Worldwide statistics, which anyone can google, show that HIV/AIDS is much more prevalent in the heterosexual community. Ignorance and stereotypes kill.

If you are interested in statistics about HIV/AIDS in Belize, some stats are available here:
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2007/wom1637.doc.htm
here:
http://www.worldywca.org/en/Events/AIDS-Conference/AIDS-2008/AIDS-2008-Women-s-Networking-Zone
here:
http://www.who.int/hiv/HIVCP_BLZ.pdf
here:
http://www.ifrc.org/docs/Appeals/annual08/Belizecountrysheet_FINAL.pdf
here:
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2007/wom1637.doc.htm

This is an interesting extract from another document:

"Heterosexual transmission. The epidemic in the Caribbean region, particularly in the
countries already reporting high rates of prevalence, is fueled by heterosexual sex. At the
beginning of the epidemic in the region, more men than women were infected, but this is
quickly changing. In Haiti and the Dominican Republic, HIV/AIDS affects men and women
equally, with a 1:1 male-to-female ratio of infections. In other countries, this ratio is now
above 2 to1: 3.6:1 in Dominica, 3.3:1 in Barbados, 2.8:1 in Antigua, and 2.4:1 in Trinidad.
In 1985 the ratio for these countries was estimated to be approximately 4:1. Self-reported
heterosexual contact is now acknowledged as the main route of HIV transmission and
accounts for the majority of HIV infections and AIDS cases in the Caribbean, representing
64% of all AIDS cases in CAREC member countries.
Infection among women and vertical transmission. Of particular concern is the
dramatic and constant increase of HIV/AIDS among Caribbean women. The region now
has one of the highest rates of new AIDS cases among women in the sub-regions of the
Western Hemisphere. Women are at greater risk of contracting HIV in both biological and
social terms, as they are both physically more vulnerable and often have little or no power to
negotiate safer sex practices with their male partners. As the number of HIV infected
women grows, the number of children born with HIV infection also increases. Vertical
(mother-to-child) transmission follows the increase in the number of cases among women,
and today represents 6% of all reported cases. Though various low-cost, effective
treatments are now available for the prevention of transmission from mother to child, in the
absence of such intervention, approximately 25-30% of children born to HIV-infected
mothers will be infected with the virus. As prevention of transmission from mother to child
becomes more economically feasible, reexamination of prevention priorities and allocation
of resources at national level will be required."
http://www.caricom.org/jsp/projects/hiv-aidsstrategicframework.pdf

Last edited by collyk; 06/08/10 08:51 PM.

www.conchcreative.com

A C Offline
How
Originally Posted by collyk
On a more serious note, I should stress that most of the people seeking help from the San Pedro AIDS Commission are from the heterosexual community, where all indicators suggest, the epidemic is spreading the most quickly in Belize.

You can't tell if someone is positive by looking at them. Be safe, get tested and don't take risks.

Only seems to make common sense that the majority of the AIDS problem is heterosexual. Especially here. I mean with all the people that sleep around with each other (and theres a lot of them), the tourists that come in and leave just as quickly, and the obvious lack of birth control use in general how could one think its more of a homosexual problem. I think its always been easier for straight people to say "oh your WAY more likely to get that if you are gay" Or "oh aids is bad in africa and other countries" we say these things because they make us feel safe to go do what we do with no consequences or thought. Aids is a REAL problem, straight/gay/black/white/belize/america whatever. If you are gonna be with multiple people and one night stands you need to KNOW its a real problem, and protect yourself in turn.

my 2 cents* smile

AC

A C Offline
[Linked Image]

best aids ad you will EVER see.

AC

First off let me clarify that i am in total agreement, use a condom and protect yourself.

Now i will be controversial and tell of my REAL LIFE experiences of this subject and its the truth with regards to Hetrosexual activitys as I know nothing about the other types, and that is why I am commenting on what I know.

Whether you agree with it or not I am going to tell you of the goings on in a very high risk scenario

I am attached so it does not concern me, however I have lots of mates that are single and NON of them use Condoms when they sleep around, and a tiny fraction of the girls they sleep with insist on condoms and I mean a tiny fraction maybe one out of ten.

These guys are dogs, meaning they sleep around with multiple sex partners weekly and there sex partners for sure have sex with a different guy every night as they are working girls.

I have spent the past 2 years traveling around SE Asia diving riding my Harley etc and I have used Thailand as the base for this and if you don't know, Thailand has a huge sex industry with bars and girls freely available for just a few dollars.

The guys I am talking about are at the highest risk possible as their partners are in the sex industry and the girls probably sleep with a different guy every night and I can only presume if they don't make my friends wear condoms they don't with other customers..

These guys have been living in Thailand for 6 to 8 years sleeping around with prostitutes without using a condom, now I cant think of anyone that would be more at risk of contracting HIV yet none of these guys are positive. they get checked as its cheap and easy to do and they are clear.

Are they Lucky ? i guess so because I have a good friend whom is in my Pool team, that is hetrosexual who is HIV positive, and he is not a promiscuous guy and has been married to the same lady when he contracted it.

He has been married to an infected person for 4 years before he contracted it from her, she knew she had it but did not tell him because it would mean everyone would avoid her and look down on her.

It took 2 years of living with her as man and wife for him to catch it from an infected woman.

Another case which I heard of here was a guy that came and took a lady back to live with him in the states and was married for 6 years and then contracted HIV from his Thai wife whom he had been married for the past 6 years, she also knew she had HIV but did not tell him, it took 6 years living as man and wife for him to contract it. She was imprisoned in the states for her actions.

I have also heard of several girls dying of Aids so it is definately spreading via hetrosexual sex but seems to be a very small percentage and that women are way more at risk.

I think it also has to be said that Thai guys often sleep with whats called Ladyboys and that basically is homosexual sex and then they go back to sleep with lady,s increasing the risk.

The reality is very few guys wear condoms and very few women insist they wear one.

In my experience the indications are it is very difficult for a man to contract HIV from a woman where as the other way round its quite easy for a Woman to contract from a man.

I see there is statistical data to show that is the case too.

http://www.aids.org/factsheets/610-Women-and-HIV.html

The attitude is from all the guys I have spoken too who sleep around with working girls is they don't believe its a threat as they have slept around for years and years with high risk partners without so much as a case of VD and they still think it is a homosexual disease as those are the majority of those infected.

(thats not my view just telling you what I am told.)

Gaz

Last edited by Gaz Cooper; 06/08/10 10:21 PM.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.