Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#379462 06/08/10 07:19 PM
OP Offline
Looking forward to visiting AC next week. During my last visit I noticed most dive operations seem to specialize in diving the reef closer to the AC. This time I am keen to dive some of the sites around Lighthouse Reef and perhaps Half Moon Caye. Other than on special "blue hole" trip, is that something dive operations on AC do? What about the ones on CC? (i.e. trips to Lighthouse, Half Moon or even Glover?) ...or is it simply too far?

You should probably consider staying at Turneffe Atol

Cheers,
Carlos

There are day trips, 3 dives and lunch, but it is spendy. If you want to dive there every day, then Carlos is telling you true.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

P
P
Particularly if you want to dive some of the less-dived sites. An alternative is to take a several-day catamaran tour with Ecologic. But you are (probably) too late now to avail yourself of either option.

Too late? Do you mean shut down for off-season?

Originally Posted by World Traveller
Looking forward to visiting AC next week. During my last visit I noticed most dive operations seem to specialize in diving the reef closer to the AC. This time I am keen to dive some of the sites around Lighthouse Reef and perhaps Half Moon Caye. Other than on special "blue hole" trip, is that something dive operations on AC do? What about the ones on CC? (i.e. trips to Lighthouse, Half Moon or even Glover?) ...or is it simply too far?

Hi World Traveler

With the exception of the regular Blue Hole trip its just too far for the local operators to go each day, Lighthouse is 45 odd miles over open sea and takes 2 hours and a half each way so it is a specialized trip which the Blue Hole is the draw even thought the wall diving of Lighthouse reef is fantastic world class diving.

Your only option is to jump aboard the Blue Hole scheduled trip they will do Long Caye Wall (fantastic) and may also do Half Moon Caye Wall along with the Blue Hole. If you are unsure about diving the Blue Hole I wrote an article on diving the Blue Hole called Belize's Blue Hole Is It Really Worth Diving you may find it interesting.

The other long shot is contact ecologic and see if they have something heading out that way.

Ambergris Caye has some great local diving but I dont think anyone would disagree the Atolls of Belize is the best diving in Belize.

Gaz

P
P
Seashell - I meant too late as he's coming here next week and probably has all his arrangements made.

The Ecologic option is not a "long shot" as they do it quite often, and AFAIK are out there right now.

OP Offline
Thanks for the great advice, folks!

It seems Ecologic is the best bet? I'll contact them to see what can be arranged that won't break the bank smile

Turneffe Island Lodge looks fantastic but out of my price range.

Another option seems to be to stay in Belize City my first couple of nights since it seems closer to the southern Lighthouse... But then I'd have to fly to get to SP which is always iffy after a couple days of diving.

Last edited by World Traveller; 06/09/10 01:15 AM. Reason: further contemplation
If you just want a day trip, then go with Amigos del Mar. Yes, it costs considerably more than 3 local dives, but as Gaz said . . .2 1/2 hours each way on their 50'+ boat, being taken excellent care of by the DM's, includes a continental breakfast of sorts, great lunch on the idyllic island of Halfmoon Caye, snacks and beverages on the trip back to San Pedro at the end of an excellent day.

P
P
There are other options for day diving - I mentioned Ecologic specifically for their overnight trips, which aren't offered by most dive centers.

The other principal operator running "standard" 3-dive day trips to Lighthouse/Blue Hole is AquaDives.

I don't know if multi-day trips might be run from Belize City - you could check with (Hugh Parkey's) Belize Dive Connection or Seasports Belize, the principal operators there.

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.