Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
The really scary thing is Gaz, is that some of those guys may well be positive but aren't getting tested because they don't believe they could catch it. It is the confident, 'it will never happen to me' attitudes that are the problem. Are they lucky? Who knows. Will they ever get tested? Who knows. If they are positive, they are actively infecting all of the women they are having unprotected sex with. Not to mention the unwanted pregnancies.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

Its interesting that NO statistics are given on the Belize Aids site no numbers NOTHING.

I would like to see the infection rate and numbers and demographics of those infected.

Colly do you have info on those figures

Gaz

collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
Gaz, why don't you join the AIDS Commission? Then you can help them with their website and with grant writing to gather up to date data. As you know, it is all about volunteerism, time and money. I'm afraid that as a member of the San Pedro AIDS Commission I have no more access to data than you do, but I do think that the links I provided give a pretty good insight. Perhaps you could put together a fact sheet for them.

All I did was ask if people could donate condoms. I thought that was a good thing. I didn't expect to be held to task on statistics. Facts and figures don't save lives, safe sex and condoms do.

www.conchcreative.com

A C Offline
Originally Posted by collyk

Facts and figures don't save lives, safe sex and condoms do.

amen

A C Offline
Originally Posted by Gaz Cooper
Its interesting that NO statistics are given on the Belize Aids site no numbers NOTHING.

I would like to see the infection rate and numbers and demographics of those infected.

Colly do you have info on those figures

Gaz

hard to get numbers if no one is testing ;\

N
N
Can people in Belize be tested for HIV/AIDS without charge? Is it covered by the national health plan?

collyk Offline OP
OP Offline
HIV/AIDS testing is free and confidential in Belize. Unfortunately, due to ignorance and 'it can't happen to me attitudes', the uptake is not what it should be.

www.conchcreative.com

P
P
Unlike in Britain, at least some years ago. When I had to have an operation, I was told that a routine test for the surgeon's protection was an HIV test, but they needed my written permission to perform it. I agreed, but so long as they told me the result. They informed me that they were not allowed to tell me. I said that in that case they couldn't do the test. I'm sure they went ahead anyway once I was anaesthetised. Hopefully their internal procedures have improved a bit since then!

N
N
Glad to hear that the testing is free and confidential in Belize. In Canada a positive HIV test (and many others)is a reportable disease and must be reported to Public Health by the physician and the lab then Public Health takes over. CBC (blood collection agency) also routinely tests each donor. No way a positive test result could be hidden. Hopefully Britain has moved ahead.

I think also that people don't want to know if they've been affected. Some people probably have that fear in the back of their minds but don't want to find out in fear that the results will be +.

Just for kicks I was tested at Dr. Danny's office (not that I have anything to fear!) and it was a quick 5 minute process.

I encourage everyone to get tested.

Now, back to condoms... whos sending them to me and can I take a cut off the top?? K,thx smile

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.