Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#379467 06/08/10 07:33 PM
OP Offline
I got off the couch and turned off the TV shaking my head at the news of the day's events. More disgusting updates on the gulf oil spill along with local, even more tragic news of an 18 month old child being thrown out of the window of a moving SUV. Getting in my truck to head to the local supermarket I couldn't help but wonder what the future held for us all.
But I think I caught a small glimpse of it. A neighborhood boy about five years old has been battling leukemia. I had not seen much of the small tyke as he was not allowed outside because of his low white blood cell count. Evident of the notes that were posted on the mail box and the front door. To the outside person, the notes could have been a notice of keep out and no trespassing, not a pleading to stay clear of the house if you were harboring anything from a cold to the sniffles.
But on this blustery afternoon as I passed by the empty lot across from their house, I saw his mother, his younger sister and two friends as well as himself, having the time of their little lives, trying to fly a kite. The mother, along with the other children would grab the line, while he hung on to the kite and the tail. She would run as fast as she could while he would throw the kite in the air, hoping that the next gust of wind would send it into the air. Free. He was oblivious to the mask that he had to wear around his nose and mouth, because it was around his neck and he was laughing. So were the other children and his mother. Carefree and happy, if only for a few minutes or an hour. I noticed how his once bald head was starting to show the growth of hair. And I silently prayed that this was a new beginning for his family as well as himself.
While parents cannot predict the future for their children (how long will they live? What will the future be like? Will they be happy, sad, successful, poor?) The one thing that they can promise is love and laughter and family.
A thunderstorm was brewing to the south, but I think the only thing that family heard and saw were the laughter and the smiles on the children with a future ahead of them.

Take the road less traveled
Hon Offline
Such a soul affirming story! DCG, you have a heart bigger than Texas!

Newfoundlanders are the only people in heaven who want to go home.
Hon #379474 06/08/10 08:31 PM
K
K
thank you

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
krehfish #379489 06/08/10 09:52 PM
RMT Offline
Nice DCG...*sigh*....a reminder for sure to appreciate the simple things. Thanks smile

You bought tears to my eyes, sweet thing!

"Hold on Tight To Your Dreams" ELO
azbob #379556 06/09/10 02:15 PM
What a sweet story dcg. So true about it being as simple as love and laughter!

You speak very wise words my good friend!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 320 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.