Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
P
P
Originally Posted by Peter Jones
Whatever, the existence of the commercial vet is undoubtedly going to have a negative impact on SAGA's income, possibly a large one.

Or vice versa if Saga get a Vet. Isn't that as, or even more, poignant.

P
P
There'd be an effect on both, Phil. But SPAH is far better equipped than SAGA is for veterinary procedures and care, and I know where I'd rather take my animal if there was something wrong with it.

Phil #380171 06/13/10 03:58 PM
P
P

Let's remember that for 10+ years SAGA has always had their own licensed vet, and should therefore not now be in the ridiculous position of having to fight to retain that position. Why should any existing business have to change its mode of operation to suit a new business?

Phil #380174 06/13/10 04:22 PM
P
P
That is largely true, except for the lengthy periods of inter-regnum. But things change. As far as I've been able to tell, throughout Belize humane societies are not permitted a vet when there is a commercial one nearby. It's just that in San Pedro there has never been one until now.

Yes things do change - and thankfully they in general change for the better. In this case it would mean having two vets rather than one and it would mean having vet services that everyone can afford. Things I fully support and which clearly would be of benefit to the island.

Maybe when Saga was setup and first offered vet services to the island, it was done with the foresight that having a vet as part of that service was the best way to operate. They should not now be taking a backward step because others around Belize have chosen not to follow their model. Nor should they be forced to change that model when clearly it would continue to benefit the island.

This is copied from the SAGA Petition everyone is asking everyone to sign.

My name and comment to the petition is listed as "Number 28", indicating that I signed the petition earlier than most of you here who are insisting I am on 'the wrong side'. My comments to the petition are clear and concise. I hope SAGA gets the license.

But if it does not, other plans could be made to keep helping the animals.

Name: Beth Brannon on Jun 10, 2010 No. 28
Comments: SAGA is needed for round ups of strays, vet-performed spays/neuters and providing medical treatment to strays and low income pet owners. SAGA must have a fully licensed proper vet to operate and continue providing these much needed services.

Here is a link to the petition and signtures page. You can see who has signed with their full names, who made comments, how many 'anonymous' signatories, etc.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savesagahumanesociety/signatures

Last edited by iluvbelize; 06/13/10 05:04 PM.
Inplub #380188 06/13/10 10:13 PM
H
H
Gaz,
Michael Fox is currently having severe heath issues,,,he has been out of Country may be back now I dont know. We took alot of advice from SAGA when we started..always on the agenda was proper books. The books have to be kept if you are a non profit...you have to turn in reports yearly prepared by authorized preparers. Private Veterinarians have no clue, nor do they usually participate in the 24 hr a day on call...emergencies..stray round ups..education..poisonings..dealing with the poor..I work at running my business about 12 hrs a day..add in the animal care another few ..as do our few other volunteers,,,
I have to say most other Vets in the country are willing to help out, they are out to make an income but will always try their best to give free advice and help when they can.
The private Vet on San Pedro, well mabe its because shes a non Belizean..but my God its all about the money...we were approached to use her services and it was all about the money and dumping on SAGA...so sad....hard to listen to when you are talking to someone that dosnt get paid for anything for caring for the animals....fostering, our plight here on Caye Caulker is minuscule compered to San Pedro....
However it rewarding..we make a huge difference here..we help..we take the time to listen and care..All the Humane Societys and their Vets are a Family..as are most the private Vets in the Country...San Pedro is a fast town..it also has the only Vindictive Vet..go figure????

P
P
Sorry to hear about Michael - hope he's better soon.

It's interesting that you should say that SAGA emphasised the need for proper books, as I believe the reason accounts haven't been published for years prior to 2008 is for lack of adequate records.

I don't know about here (Belize), but all the vets I know in UK and US are periodically on 24-hour call and are fastidious with their accounting - they have to be to survive these days. They have to make returns to their professional overseers, and of course they have the ultimate auditor - the bank.

I can't comment on the SP vet, but "vindictive" is a strong word.

Originally Posted by Peter Jones
There'd be an effect on both, Phil. But SPAH is far better equipped than SAGA is for veterinary procedures and care, and I know where I'd rather take my animal if there was something wrong with it.

Thats exactly the point Peter and thats why i dont understand why Ms Droke has gone to extreme measures to try to cause trouble for SAGA and damage them.

Now before I get called on the use of extreme measures I have read her words admitting to constant letter writing (I think 3 or 4 so far) to the licensing board reporting illegal activity etc etc, that takes a lot of effort and is obviously done to cause problems for SAGA which would ultimately benefit her financially and damage SAGA when the board takes action.

What she should of done marketing wise instead of focusing that negative effort on SAGA is ignore SAGA business wise and to grow her business slowly, gradually building good will and focusing on marketing that she has a state of the art vet clinic offering FIRST CLASS animal care, with a state of the art Animal hospital the only one on the island.

With her specialized equipment (that no other company has) and vetinary care, superior drugs etc etc I am sure a large amount of custom would cross over for perceived better care for the beloved Pet. just as you stated Peter (you know which vet you would use).

I would probably do so too as we can afford it.

By marketing her new business that way she would slowly gain her market share and over time things would of evened out between the 2 business's while staying positive and proffesional.

I am sure SAGA was not happy initially that she decided to open her own hospital as its competition where there has been none prior, so its understandable they were scared it was going to affect them and it will, but nobody can deny having a top knotch 1st class Animal Hospital on the island that offers many things that SAGA does not, that can only be a positive for the island.

I personally don't know Ms Droke and I am sure she is a very nice person based on other peoples comments however to try to take on a charitable organization that has done such good over the past 10 years and that has HUGE local support is well, suicidal irrelevant of the fact that they may of been cutting corners.

I am sure this will sort itself out and Ambergris Caye will have a choice for the Pet owner.

Gaz

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 282 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.