Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
S
Residency isn't tied to Work Permits.
Separate government programs.
A work permit empowers you to work in Belize for a 1 yaer period at a specific job..and costs quite a bit to obtain.
Residency requires a 1 year stay before applying and then a wait while its processed however is a permanent status...forever!

Last edited by jesse; 06/15/10 07:56 PM.
L
L
Unpaid taxes = big penalties and interest, which keeps accuring and accuring and accruing...whereever you go, there you are.

W
W
This thread just made my night. Thank you all. That being said, Jesse is correct... work permits and residency are apples and oranges. At least the guy had the guts to post the question. Had quite of few acquainteces here leave only to find out later they tried unsuccessfully to flee the IRS.
Good Luck Bro!

S
OP Offline
S
b) Application for Temporary Self-Employment:
This category would apply to foreign investors, among others. All applicants must be in the country legally, with proper visas and/or permits issued by the Immigration Department. They are required to produce proof of reasonably sufficient funds for their proposed venture (i.e.: local bank statement of account). Applicants must also obtain a reference from the relevant Ministry or Local Organization concerned with the category of work involved. In such situations, the six-month residency requirement is waived, and it is assumed that the venture will lead to creation of employment for nationals in the future

I think you shut some people up......you obviously have it together........good luck!

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
S
OP Offline
S
thank you Loansum.....wish the best as well.

B
B
Originally Posted by shannon1111
This category would apply to foreign investors, among others. All applicants must be in the country legally, with proper visas and/or permits issued by the Immigration Department. They are required to produce proof of reasonably sufficient funds for their proposed venture (i.e.: local bank statement of account). Applicants must also obtain a reference from the relevant Ministry or Local Organization concerned with the category of work involved. In such situations, the six-month residency requirement is waived, and it is assumed that the venture will lead to creation of employment for nationals in the future

Is this something new or something old? Either way, I have never of it as alternative to the one year work permit or waiting the year and then applying for residency. If in fact it is real and current it might help a lot of people that want to try there hand in running a business enterprise in Belize.

i know this has been in effect since 2004, at least...can't say prior to that smile

C
C
If you already filed and owe taxes, perhaps on a payment plan to the IRS, then just continue to pay regularly. Maybe arrange for auto0draft from your US bank account.
If you owe, and do not pay, you will eventually jeopardize your ability to one day collect Social Security or perhaps even renew your passport.
Now, if you do not care about those things, and have no intention of ever living in the US again, then dont worry about it if it isn''t too much.
Remember, not filing and not paying are two different things.

Originally Posted by beachbumin
Originally Posted by shannon1111

Is this something new or something old? Either way, I have never of it as alternative to the one year work permit or waiting the year and then applying for residency. If in fact it is real and current it might help a lot of people that want to try there hand in running a business enterprise in Belize.

This is nothing new. The Temporary Self-Employment Permit noted above is a work permit for one year.

You can get two types of "work permits" -
Working for somebody else - difficult.
Working for yourself - not so difficult.
"Work Permits" is what we casually call them, but they are also referred to as Temporary Employment Permits or Temporary Self-Employment Permits.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 290 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.