Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#380998 06/18/10 06:20 PM
T
Teach Offline OP
OP Offline
T
First I want to say that we visited Ac last February for two weeks and loved it. We are coming back next February. My problem is as follows. My husband called me this morning from home (I am visiting family in Reno which is 400 miles from home) and wants me to buy him a fly fishing rod. (We live on a ranch in rural Oregon with NO sports equipment stores closer then 140 miles.) He wants something so he can "practice casting" in the field at home. He wants to go bone fishing in Belize next February. So what kind of rod to I buy and what about the reel and what else do I need so he can practice. I know you have equipment there so he just needs something to practice with.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Time flies when you are having rum!!!
S
S
If you are in Reno, perhaps make a trip here:

http://www.renoflyshop.com/ourshops.html

...and tell them exactly what you posted here.

LOT'S of different options, largely dependent upon budget. In short though, for bonefish, you'll want to look for an 8 or 9 weight rod, large arbor reel and floating line. Again, a good fly shop can steer you in the right direction.

Enjoy!!! It's a fantastically addictive sport...

K
K
Since he wants you to buy him an outfit, I'd tend toward TFO rods. In the $200 range and very servicible. Maybe a TFO Professional 8wt or 9wt. For bonefish in Belize any old reel will work-something around $65-$90. Have the shop upline you one size on the flyline. They'll know what that means, and It'll help hubby.

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
T
Teach Offline OP
OP Offline
T
OK - so I got the TFO 8 wt. rod, large arbor reel with line weight 8 and backing 150yards/20 pounds. So as I look at birthday presents - looking at flies for bonefishing. Are the same flies used where ever you are? Can I just go to a fly shop and tell them I am bonefishing or do I need certain kinds for AC? Does the time of year make a difference in flies? We will be there February. These all seem like silly questions but I know NOTHING about bone fishing. Thanks

P
P
Do a search for The El Pescador Fishing Report. That tells which flies are doing best each month and will give you a great head start,

K
K
Phil, isn't there a flysop now over by the HS?
Teach, gotchas and crazy charlies have been the ticket in BZ and everywhere else. Call or go online to Kienes Fly Shop in Sacramento, Feathercraft in STL, or The Fly Shop in Redding. Tell 'em what you're doing and where. You won't be misled or oversold by any of them/

K
K
...or, send me a pm with an address and I'll send you a dozen of what I've been using in San Pedro for 10 years.

P
P
HS as in High School? Henry has always run a fly shop next door to BC's bar on his property and theres a new one at the far North end of Front Street towards the Pheonix entrance but not seen it myself.

K
K
One by Phoenix is what I was thinking about. Friend was down a few weeks ago, and said they wrapping/selling rods. Need to stop by next month.

T
Teach Offline OP
OP Offline
T
krehfish - I PM'd you.Thanks

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 353 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.