Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
I am in town until Friday. I have friends with me who are considering adopting a dog to take back to US with them. We visited SAGA Humane Society building today around 2PM but no one seemed to be there (other than a barking dog or two). Can anyone tell us when and how to visit? The phone number does not seem to be working. Also, I adopted a dog and took her home with me about 5 years ago. As I recall, American Airlines does not allow dogs in cabin and an embargo of pets in cargo may be in effect due to heat. Other than the additional requirement of health/rabies certificate, does anyone know of other issues that have arisen? Thanks in advance for your help.
S

It sounds like you may have been at Fort Dog, not at the Saga Humane Society office which is located a block away.

You can call Saga at 226 3266 and Ingrid can assist you in adopting a pet and she can help you work out the details to take a dog/cat abroad. I just called the number and you have to let it ring about 10 times then a machine kicks in. The message describes the hours the office is open etc.

If that doesn't work Saga operates a website too: http://sagahumanesociety.org/

E
E
When you say that you're considering adopting a dog, may I ask if you have a certain dog in mind? I'm asking because a friend fell in love with an island dog and wanted to take her back home. It turned out that the dog was owned by someone on the island and was a local legend.

God Bless The Reef!
Hi Seachange, my name is Ari, I work with Saga as a Board Member and volunteer - I just called and spoke to Ingrid at the Clinic she says they were there at 2 PM, so I think you may have been at the dog shelter around the corner instead as Amanda suggested.

She and the Vet Dr. Lauren Henckel are there now and will be there until 5pm today, back tomorrow and Friday (Hours are 9-12 and 1-5 Monday to Friday, and Saturday from 9-12. Sometimes if they are busy with an animal they may miss the phone call, but that's pretty unusual. Please do try to call them again at 226-3266.

Dr. Henckel could also share her recent personal experiences about the air transport of dogs at this time, as I understand it there are restrictions when the temps are too high. The best scenario is when an animal is small enough to fly in cabin which is hopefully the case with your friend's intended adoptee.

We are very pleased that the Veterinary Clinic is now fully open with Dr. Henckel on site, licensed and permitted, and ready for action!

We thank everyone in the community again for all your support.

Regards, Ari

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks, that is an excellent point. I understand that. My friends want to see if there is any dog in the care of SAGA that may be appropriate for them to adopt. As far as I can tell from the website, some have been with SAGA for months, so I am guessing no one has claimed them.

S
OP Offline
S
Ari, thanks again. My friends will head over to SAGA.
S

Great to know, that SAGA is back alive and 100% licensed and permitted.

All the best for Dr. Lauren Henckel and Ingrid.
As we see know, 10 years of a great job for the animals of San Pedro with high ethical standards, helped in this stormy waters.

P
P
Originally Posted by AriTrejo
We are very pleased that the Veterinary Clinic is now fully open with Dr. Henckel on site, licensed and permitted

That's very good news, but is it strictly true? I was told that the permit is only to treat rescue animals and pets whose owners otherwise couldn't afford veterinary care.

S
S
Originally Posted by Peter Jones
Originally Posted by AriTrejo
We are very pleased that the Veterinary Clinic is now fully open with Dr. Henckel on site, licensed and permitted

That's very good news, but is it strictly true? I was told that the permit is only to treat rescue animals and pets whose owners otherwise couldn't afford veterinary care.

C'mon Peter (Pedro)..back off!

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks so much! Everything worked out happily for my friends.
S

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 313 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.