Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jackieo Offline OP
OP Offline
J
HI, I was just wondering what I could bring from home as far what is needed that you wish you would have brought. Did you bring the rafts from home or did you buy the there?Now I also read that I should bring maxwell house individual coffee, is that a good idea?Also are ther ice cube trays in the freezer or sould I bring thoses also what about beach towels are they supplied or bring those too? I also read abouyt bring a book for the library any idea on what they may need and also what about craft projects for the children of the island or anything that they may need? We have alot of dollar stores in cleveland and they have some pretty neat things, but also I do not want to offend anyone by making they feel needy.

P
P
Jackieo, we brought the floats with us. Karin bought them at Target and they are perfectly flat so easy to pack, and then we blew them up at the pool and then when our week was up, we gave them to some of the local children who we had befriended while there. They loved them. We also used them in the ocean right outside of the hotel and did a lazy type of snorkeling. We floated on the floats and used our masks and snorkels and looked over the edge of the floats. The kids laughed at us so hard, they thought we were crazy. We did bring our own coffee but the room had a coffee maker and filters so it was no problem. Also, there are ice trays in the freezer and at Seven Seas, they have a 2 Gallon (I think it was 2 gallons)container of bottled water in the fridge waiting for you and then they sell them in the office if you need more. I took more stuff than I needed. The bare minimum is what I used. I am a very low maintenance type of girl though, so some may need more than I did. Any toiletries you forget, you can find in the big grocery store. It did get a little cool some evenings with the breeze, so a light weight sweater or long sleeve shirt may be helpful. They did have some books in the office, mostly looked like they were geared more towards reading for girls, so if you have any books that some guys may like to read, that would be great. We left alot of things for the kids. We had some candy we gave them, we took polaroid pictures of us with them and gave them to the kids, they loved seeing pictures develope before their eyes, we gave them plastic cups with the lids that have straws in them, ( we had been using those to carry our own little mixed drinks around in when we went walking), a bottle of bubbles that we had brought, and of course the floats, and Karin was going to throw out her flippers and mask after this trip, but instead she gave them to one of the kids. Watching their faces light up when we gave them all of these little things was the best part of the trip. Really such little things, but the happiness it brought to them was so great. The kids there love playing in the water and they all are snorkeling at such young ages though not all have masks, many share one. If you could find some inexpensive masks for them I am sure they would love it. Also, what kid doesn't love a new pack of crayons or a pad of paper to draw on. I think anything would be welcomed and noone would be offended. They give so much of themselves to us when we come to their island, it only felt right to try and give something back to them. You are so sweet to ask and to want to do something. Your kindness will not go unnoticed I assure you. [Linked Image]
Punta Rebel Girl
Debbie

Debbie, the Punta Girl
J
jackieo Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks alot you are very helpful. I have a lon wait til August so I am sure that I will have many more ?'s.
jackie

P
P
You are so welcome. Sorry I rambled so much. Just don't know when to stop once I start talking about SP. I don't know everything about the island, but I am happy to share what I do know. Enjoy your planning, that is half of the fun too.
Punta Rebel Girl

Debbie, the Punta Girl
M
M
The rafts are a great idea,and just leave them when you have to go home. I also had 2 pair of reading glasses that got somewhat scratched while there (got them at a local drug store) and asked the maid if she knew anyone who wanted them..she was thrilled.. she needed some! For the kids...beads and other craft items for their bracelets, necklaces,etc. Also candy for the kids or other candy that does not melt..mints, lifesavers, sweet tarts,etc. Also, I have heard that the women need clothing of all kinds..shorts, tops. We also take tee-shirts from our local sports teams..they love them. Also, you can donate money directly to the schools. Have heard not to give money to the kids for this purpose, but to give to the schools instead...must be some "middle man" involved if you give to the kids directly.

Mary and Scott
I took down all kinds of things for the kids at Xmas including whacks of pens and pencils. It was my intention to give them to the school to hand out to the kids, but a local told me to give them to the kids directly because the teachers would *sell* them instead of give them to the kids. I trust the fellow that told me this. The kids that got pens and pencils were thrilled. I wished I'd had dozens more. And erasers, and crayons, I wish I'd taken crayons and pencil crayons. Leave behind your paperback books too. Shoes were a big hit also. I took down a couple of pairs of dressier girls' shoes and a bunch of kids' sandals. They were really appreciated. One guy was so upset that the shoes didn't fit his daughter, I thought he was going to cry and then maybe I would too. :^) The other thing to consider is taking (whatever you bring to give away) your gifts to the poorer areas and handing them out there. While most of the people living in SP are not as well off as we are, there are still people in SP that are worse off than many of their neighbors. There was at least one family where the kids hadn't received on single solitary thing from their parents for Xmas, because they couldn't afford anything. That made me cry too.

I just remembered, the whistles were a major hit. Easy to pack too.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

J
jackieo Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Does seven seas have beach towels or do I need to bring my own? Thanks again, you guys are great.
Jackie

I'm sorry Denver, I didn't get all of the names. We were just driving around handing things out to kids that appeared to be in need. But thank you so much for the thought.

I don't know anything about canoes but I know you can rent sea kayaks. You should talk to Barefoot (Dawn).

I'm sure that the things that you sent down were distributed properly. Did you give them to Patty Arceco(sp?) or the Lion's Club? I feel confident that the donations after Keith were handled as well as possible. Sandshaker?

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

S
S
What about the animal situation? Do the pet owners need anything? What about the strays? I know my animals are spoiled at home, but I'm sure they would just love the share their treats with a less fortunate dog, cat or bird(or whatever). I'am leaving the 19th so let me know.

SwayFlo...bring dewormers...also many of the dogs had eye infections and needed antibiotics badly...I did my best to feed them and was rewarded with their kind quiet friendship...perfect for the late nights on the beach right before bed...

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 372 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.