Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#38163 04/27/01 12:49 PM
S
S
Not sure if what I got was this pica pica thing, But I developed a rash which I thought might be a heat rash with the way it looked about 3 days before we left to come home. It started out on the back of my arms then proceeded down the rest of my arm. Great thing to happen when all you want to do is show off your great tan and you have to keep it covered because you look like you have the plague. We got home on a Saturday and by Monday it spread to my legs. Needless to say I went to the doctor and he gave me a prescription for a cortizon cream (over the counter wasn't helping) and had me take Aphran. This helped a lot and was gone within three or four days. I thought maybe I'd had an allergic reaction to something I'd maybe eaten. I hate when things like this happen, just kinda creeps me out. Still have no idea what it actually was.

#38164 04/27/01 01:04 PM
Did you get a fever or anything along with the rash? I'm no doctor (although I play one on tv) but it sounds so much like sea scratch. I itched so much I ended up with a fever. Also forgot to mention that I used a cortisone cream (1% or 2% something like that) and it really helped. Don't scratch because I gained a scar from that lovely stuff. I've cought it in Grand Cayman too. I think they call it different things in different places, so it very well may be that pica pica stuff just renamed in Jamaica, sea scratch (also known as sea lice). Remember, DON'T scratch it might scar.

#38165 04/27/01 04:03 PM
M
M
Yep! It is thimble jellyfish larvae and in the Mexican Caribbean they call it Aquamale.
I had 2 encounters with them at Xpuha Beach, Riviera Maya and diving at Palancar Reef both in May 2 years in a row. The first encounter was horrible because I was swimming in this warm shallow area where there must have been millions of these. The water was super clear and you can not see them at all. They went in my bikini bottoms and in all the sensitive privat areas ;(. Thank goodness I was not wearing a top.
I looked like I had a sexual transmitted illness and could barly sit on my behind. Locals gave me vinegar and some cream but was not much help. You don't feel while it happens until hours later I woke up with blisters and itchy as hell at night. Luckely it was on our last vacation day but the flight home and the next day sitting in my office chair was no fun. Hard thing to explain your boss you have to go home early because your butt is itching. Ha, Ha! Here are some tips.
1. Swim naked when possible because they only sting when they get trapped.
2. Since most likely this will not be possible. Put on Sun oil that is suposed to help. And bring vinegar with you so you can put it on if you have the slightest feeling.
3. Put on Benadryl cream and take Benadryl pills against the itiching.
4. Do not scratch because the rash will spread just like poison ivy. But that is easier said than done because you will be super itchy for a week.
5. Season is April to begin of June.
Hey, but even that will not keep me out of this beautiful ocean. Notice we will get the second week of June hoping Jellyseason will be over by than.

#38166 04/27/01 06:56 PM
V
V
Where can I pick up some Safe Sea Jellyfish & Sea Lice Safe Sun Block? We'll be there next week.

#38167 04/27/01 07:44 PM
I've read the postings on this subject and I feel I have to share this with you, we went to San Pedro in March, did the Hol Chan and shark Ray Ally Snorkling tour, when I was snorkling Hol Chan, I got STUNG, I knew it immediatley and got a leg cramp right aftrwards, when I got back to the boat it immediatly swelled up , it was on my thigh. I put an ice bag on it, along with some "cortaid" I had brought along.

I thought it was a jellyfish, but I'm starting to wonder, when we got back to the states I had to see a Doctor, he gave me cotazone pills to relieve the pain, and lotion to relieve the itch, I still have a mark that is about 3X2 iches wide...

Not sure what it was, but it hit hard, and I remember seeing some sea grass just prior to being stung.. OUCH..

I will return to Hol Chan, but will wear a wet suit next time!

You can still see where I was stung, it's still bumpy but it dosn't hurt anymore.

I thought maybe sea nettles? Our guide said it was a jelly fish, but Man, it must have was a big one then, and it hurt instantly.

#38168 04/27/01 08:25 PM
Jellyfish stings can leave quite serious scarring.

With regard to where you can buy Safe Sea, first ask at your local dive shops. After that, you can try 888-278-6854 or on line at sd501.lifestylesdirect.com. I don't know if this telephone # and web address are the only place on the web that you can get it or not. If you searched Nidaria on the web, you might find something that way too. Good luck. Let me know how it works out.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

#38169 04/28/01 09:46 AM
B
B
Gaz pretty much described what Pica Pica is, and it is called different names in different parts of the world, sea bather's eruption, sea scratch, etc.
There is excellent information provided by Green Reef, a non-profit reef conservation organization in San Pedro. You can visit their website and read some of their articles on Pica Pica.
There are many other good articles on marine life in the section called Reef Notes and I am sure they would appreciate the support of some of you 'regulars'. //ambergriscaye.com/greenreef/briefs62.html

Couple of points:
- Sea grasses have attached to them thousands of minute living plants and animals, one in particular, a tiny anemone (animal with tentacles) that can deliver a rather nasty sting.
- Not all jellyfish sting, sometimes the larva (baby) delivers a worse sting than the adult as in the thimble jellies
- If an elongated welt like wound occurs on your body after swimming, you may possibly have come in contact with the trailing tentacle of a larger jellyfish such as the box jelly or worse yet a Portuguese man-o-war (not a true jelly. Pica Pica will not deliver this type of sting, it is more like hundreds of little pricks with a needle.
-Finally, don't let this deter you from going in the water - it hasn't me and I had the worse bout with Pica Pica a few years back off of one of the southern cayes.

#38170 04/28/01 10:37 AM
Hi All,
Just got back last night...Gaz has the "Skinny" on the pica pica...I just kept the sunblock on and was just fine...only got hit on my lip...DOH...the only place I DID'NT put the screen...When it's calm they seem to pool on the surface...we only had 1 day like that...I hardly noticed them....

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
#38171 05/01/01 05:31 PM
L
llp Offline
L
Those of you heading down and worried about the itch, bring some Diprosone Cream with you or pick some up at a local pharmacy, it's the most effective relief for the itch from pica pica!!!

#38172 05/01/01 05:50 PM
B
B
I think I had the Pica Pica on my legs last year from snorkeling in Cozumel. At first I thought they were bug bites, but it was worse than that. Then the men at the hotel kept saying "bad water, bad water". Oh did it hurt!

I am planning on going to AC this summer, I will be sure to take precautions.

Thanks for all the info!
Joanna

JL
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.