Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#381738 06/27/10 11:34 AM
OP Offline
What happened to the spear gun thread?

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/381534/spear_guns.html

It would actually be good to know what the rules, regulations and 'local expectations' are for spearfishing etc.

(I don't currently do so, but might be interested in...)

uh oh.... smile

hazzyy #381741 06/27/10 12:12 PM
You can go to the Hol Chan office on the side street by the lagoon side gas station next to Varela's Lumber and talk to them. They also have a printout of the up to date fishing size requirements for conch, lobster, etc...

Basically what applies to other types of fishing applies to spearfishing plus some basic common sense things. For example, don't shoot the pretty reef fish, don't touch coral (with spear equipment, fins, hands, etc...for that matter try not to kick up sand/sediment on the coral) I'm sure others will have some info to contribute.

hazzyy #381745 06/27/10 12:47 PM
OP Offline
Constructive info - thanks ;-)

I can tell you now what they say and save you a trip.
spear fishing practices halted
The Belize Fisheries Department has legislated a ban in spear fishing
The new statutory instrument states that: - No person shall engage or attempt to engage, or assist a person to engage in spearfishing, of any kind, within a Marine Reserve. - A person within any Marine Reserve who possesses any of the following equipment on board a vessel, or on his person will be presumed to be engaging in or to be attempting to engage in spearfishing; a) speargun, b) polespear, c) hand spear, d) Hawaiian Sling e) iki jime or kill spike f) any other elastic, pneumatic powered, or mechanically powered speargun or sling.

and also be aware if you just have one in your boat when your in any of the zones below or even stuffed up in the bow with no intention of using it they can impound your boat and arrest the captain and have a history of doing so.
If you need a definition of 'Marine Reserve' it includes Conservation Zone,Preservation Zone,General Use Zone, National Park and Recreation Zone.
[Linked Image]
Zones North Ambergris
all shaded areas
[Linked Image]
Caulker
[Linked Image]
All shaded areas
I scanned these for you they normally are hanging on my wall.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
A C Offline
Originally Posted by James Pearce
What happened to the spear gun thread?

//ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/381534/spear_guns.html

It would actually be good to know what the rules, regulations and 'local expectations' are for spearfishing etc.

(I don't currently do so, but might be interested in...)

i got bored with the pissing match between Ernie and myself, and asked marty to delete it. The thread was no longer useful.

A C #381758 06/27/10 05:39 PM
Lets keep it useful.
Its called 'Spearfishing ' now.

White Sands Dive Shop
elbert #381761 06/27/10 06:04 PM
A C Offline
ive heard that you cant spear fish with scuba gear (should be a no brainer), and you cant spear fish of a kayak if you are anchored down. This seems like a dumb law/rule, but it came from a local. Any verification on this?

A C #381762 06/27/10 06:12 PM
K
K
Do you now need a fishing license?

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
krehfish #381785 06/28/10 09:26 AM
AC and krehfish
Yep it should be a nobrainer about the tank on the back but not in Florida.Definitely in Belize.
AC a lot of those type law/rules stories are pure BS, esp. if it came from a local, checked with fisheries and there is no such rule, however were trying to put regulations on canoe, kayak and other types of rec water sports vehicles that only allow them to be used if tied to approved buoys, in other words no anchoring or attaching to corals.
Yes you need a fishing lic. The treatment you get if caugh spearing in or out of a reserve is nasty. they can take your boat and jail you and have a record of doing so.
Licenses are easy to get $100. bz a year and Captain Sharks sells them. They also sell by the day and month.

White Sands Dive Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.