Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Just an update on bringing a dog back to USA: My friends adopted an adorable little black and white puppy from SAGA last week.

American Airlines assured them in two separate phone conversations that the puppy could ride in the cabin in a carry-on case. American Airlines issued a confirmation number for the puppy.

We arrived at BZE on June 26. American Airlines rep at BZE firmly refused to allow the puppy on board, told them this was never permitted and that they were "misinformed". My friends got American Airlines on the phone and American Airlines confirmed the original advice. BZE American Airlines rep resisted speaking to them for a long period of time, then claimed to have been "cut off" after a brief conversation. Told my friends it was "agent error", puppy would have to fly in crate in hold, and no crates were available. Although I understand that it is difficult to be an airline rep, this woman seemed inappropriately unhelpful and unsympathetic. Tears, drama and hours later, crate was found. Puppy flew to and arrived in Miami, soaked in rain and his own urine, and shivering in a crate big enough for a Great Dane.

Eventual happy ending with the puppy living in USA with loving family, another adopted island dog and a huge backyard. Just wanted to put out this information so others won't be similarly blindsided and traumatized.

The same series of events happened to me five years ago, with a similar result, so I warned my friends. They confirmed with both SAGA and American Airlines that the puppy could travel in the airplane cabin. I assumed my experience must have been a fluke, but apparently not.

Please be aware of this if you plan to bring a dog back to the USA. Also, please be aware that if the heat reaches a certain level, the dog will not be permitted to ride in cargo either. The embargo is determined on a day to day basis.

It is extremely rewarding to adopt a dog in Belize, so I suggest the following possible contingency plans:

-Get a written confirmation to transport dog in the cabin, specific to BZE, from your airline before arriving at the airport. (Please note that there are size limitations. My friends' puppy was 6 LB) Also, be aware that it is possible American Airlines rep in BZE will refuse to honor the confirmation.)

-Be prepared for the possibility that the dog will be required to fly in cargo. Arrange for a hard-sided airline-approved carrying case. We were told these could be acquired in Belize City at either Farm Center or Brody's. (Not sure of spelling but cab drivers would know where they are.)

-Be aware that baggage handlers and other airport personnel can be a valuable resource. We were touched by the kindness of these folks as they hustled around the airport looking for carriers and offered good advice. A great bunch of people! Tropic Air was likewise kind and supportive, oohing and ahhing over the irresistible cuteness of the puppy(now named "Hurricane Harry"

-Be prepared to stay over in Belize City in the event your dog is refused permission to fly due to weather. I learned that Global Village and D'Nest are good places to stay. It might be wise to confirm with them that the dog can stay with you while awaiting an appropriate flight.

-In the event all else fails, it occurs to me that it may be possible to make arrangements with Maya or Tropic and SAGA to have the dog returned to AC, if for some reason it becomes impossible to transport it to USA.

If anyone else has thoughts on this I think it would benefit prospective pet owners to hear them. Also, I do not have any experience with the policies of US Air, Continental or TACA.

Anyone who loves dogs will realize that these elaborate plans will pay off in terms of a unique loving companion. My little Cosita Lolita Bonita Linda McClain is a wonderful dog. Anyone who does not love dogs will assume I am unbalanced. It won't be the first or the last time this assumption has been made!

All the best, S

My understanding and what I have been told (I have no REAL experience in this area) is that Continental is the only airline flying out of BZE that will allow a carry on animal, dependent on size.

Change your Latitude
We bring our Dog Zoe to Belize 4 or 5 times each year
American does not allow dogs in the cabin
Not sure about TACA
Delta, Continental and US Airways allow small dogs in cabin for a fee of about $100 each way. Full details are on their web site under the travelling with Pets section

Colin, Marianne & Sophie the Dog
www.mrptny.com
S
OP Offline
S
My main point is that American will tell you repeatedly that you CAN bring your dog in the cabin if you call them. Just want to make sure people are aware of that.

It's possible that agents on duty at a given time may be refusing to let pets aboard because their friends/family/connections object to animals being in the cabin. It's just recently that the Belizean attitude toward pets has relaxed a bit from being totally opposed to having pets in their homes.

This is a very upsetting story and disturbing that the dog had to go through this.

Karmin has flown to/from Belize and the US at least 10 times. It is important to always check the website of the airline on pet policies rather than accept what is told on the phone by an agent. It states very clear on American that pets can travel in cabin within the US and in capital bold letters can not for Central and S America which is likely why the mix up happened.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...lingWithPets.jsp#PetsTravelingInTheCabin

Allowed Travel Destinations
Flights within the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St. Croix.
From the U.S. to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean provided the country of arrival permits entry.

Carry-on pets are NOT ALLOWED to/from Hawaii or Transatlantic/Transpacific or Central and South America.

I always print the online regulations from the site and take it with me for backup.

Heat/Cold restrictions are not determined on a day to day basis, rather they are a set temperature found on each airline's website.

Heat Restriction Cold Restriction
Pets cannot be accepted when the current or forecasted temperature is above 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29.4 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary.

Pets can not be accepted when the ground temperature is below 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7.2 degrees C) at any location on the itinerary.

A lot of preparation is necessary to fly with our animals and it is so important to have all information in writing from the website rather than relying on telephone agents...which honesty holds true for any important matter.

Happy travels. Woof.

S
OP Offline
S
Thank you.

Sorry, I did not mean the embargo temperature was determined on a day to day basis. I meant that the temperature changes daily, so, in certain circumstances, you might not know whether you will be able to fly until the day of departure.

Also, I do not mean that a random American Airlines agent happened to say it was "OK". American Airlines issued a confirmation number for the dog to fly in the cabin. Two additional agents confirmed this.

Perhaps SAGA and others can make sure people who do not have access to this message board are aware.

Don't mean to harp on this, I just don't want it to happen to anyone else.

Cheers, S

Yes American are very clear on their Pets in cabin rules. I just find their ground temperature pet rules are crazy.
We can take Zoe from New York to Miami in the cabin but can't take her in the cabin from Miami to Belize..,there isn't too much temperature difference between Miami and Belize!

Rather than speaking to the normal customer service rep you should contact American Pet Services directly the phone number is 800-237-7976 they are always very helpful when traveling with a pet

Colin, Marianne & Sophie the Dog
www.mrptny.com
S
S
Yes, and 2 years ago American "lost" my 70 lb doggie (seriously - after much drama and hours later, the top people in Miami finally admitted they had no idea where he was!). He was put on the wrong plane to MIA and they decided to check him through to Belize without me there (I had his paperwork). He was in his kennel for 18 hours (thank goodness I was able to reach the BZE airport by phone (and offer large sums of money to anyone who would walk / feed him). I barely got an apology, so I walk away with the impression that AA is NOT ANIMAL FRIENDLY.

jeeezzz...i know how u feel...in 2005 continental airlines told me it would cost $300 us to fly my adopted dog back to the states with me..when i arrived at goldson i was informed that it would cost 700 us...i didn't have a debit card anymore and they would not take my check for the difference...needless to say, i had to send her back to san pedro on tropic air...i was devastated...had her for 6 months, had all her shots and paperwork, had her spayed...fell in love with this dog...i was crying...none of the agents seemed to care...luckily my friend loved this dog too....so she ended up living a happy life on the lagoon...always gave me a good reason to come back to san pedro, to visit my dog! my advice is to get everything in writing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 266 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.