Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
What country are you in?

C
C
Ditto..
Amir..
You must be on the wrong messageboard....or not in your right mind..this is a beautiful peaceful place...with every incident reported and blown up...In the 8 yrs I have lived here we have had one murder...sadly it was a beautiful woman who did not deserve what happened to her...but I could be back up north with 10 dead daily.in every village..NO THANKS....Up North is the U.S.

LONELY PLANET SAYS TOURIST LOVE OUR ART. BEST PRICES ON ART.
A
A
U r rite. I also made mistake of not saying my thoughts included the crime on Ambergris Caye.

Last edited by Amir; 07/01/10 10:19 AM.
C
C
Goff was not a victim of the Island people..or any at hand activity...his demise was due to the hand of officials and the person responsible is being prosecuted..how you can turn that incident into a tourist watch situation is non understandable....

Cooper, I agree with most of what you're saying. Anyone who spends time on CC, or has lived there for some time, knows exactly what you're talking about. You can go to the split, I&I or O'side and see these girls hanging with the wanna be gangsters. No one is justifying acts of violence, but I would equate some of their actions to walking down the street in Belize waiving around $1000 in cash and not expecting something sinister to take place. Frankly I'm tired of people with limited knowledge make less than accurate statements about CC and Belize in general. Tried to stay out of this one, but felt compelled to throw in my 2 cents.

C
C
EXACTLY!!!!! I also have tried to stay off the messageboard at times, but not with much luck....

G
G
Really!I haven't seen or heard anything on the news
[Linked Image]

R
R
I have been visiting Caye Caulker since the 80's. I was there 2 weeks ago. I love the place and hate to say it, but the place is going downhill, fast lately. I read all the comments by the locals and expats and they are jaded by their financial and emotional investments in the caye. Lots of them have become as oportunistic as the "beach-bums" they complain about.
The place has a creepy feel to it these days, you are observed almost like chattel as you get off the water taxi, people sizing you up and fighting over who gets to be your erstwhile "main man". I was taken aback by a blog I recently read on one of your websites, that the locals feel that should only have to fish for 3 months then work 2-3 hours a day, a few days a week for the other 9 months!?! This attitude does seem to be prevalent, there are more and more "parasites" feeding on an ever decreasing amount of tourists in this economy. The people of Caye Caulker, (most of them) need to wake up and smell the cofee, get a job, stop panhandling tourists, get rid of all the undesireables who camp out there preying on anyone gullible enough to lend them an ear. Even the mainland Belizeans complain about the people in the cayes.It has got to the point where it is not worth the hassle of driving off all the mooches. Better to go to the east, where the Gov. is proactive about huslers destroying the otherwise great atmosphere. I have also heard horror stories from expats who try and buy land and build, they are treated like banks to be robbed at will by the would be contractors, realty agents.

D
D
Which contractors?Which realtors? Which locals?
Caye caulker is suffering from a problem of outsiders coming and mooching off the visitors but you are saying it is actually local Caye Caulker folks. The great thing about such a tiny place is that we have only two active realtors and five active builders so if there is a complaint it is THAT guy and not a condemnation of a large faceless industry. When THAT guy is corrected or gone then the whole problem is solved.
Tell us which exact moocher, realtor or builder do you think is the problem and we will try to do something.

Last edited by Dane; 07/10/10 03:03 PM.
R
ron Offline
R
I'm not sure who you are talking about. I am just finishing building my house on the north island. My realtor is no longer on the island, but he performed everything expected of him to my satisfaction. From the time my offer was accepted to when I had my title in hand was less than 3 months. I paid less than the asking price. Could I have gotten the property for less who knows what the actual owner would have accepted? Remember the real estate agent is hired by the seller and is looking after the sellers interest. I hired my own attorney to prepare and exam all documents related to my property and represent my interests. The buying of property in Belize is different than in the states or Europe so you need to be somewhat more careful. Do I have a problem with my contractor, no. My only complaint is him taking a couple months longer to do what was contracted for. I paid him what was contracted for and he built what I contracted him to do. If I had been here the whole time it was being built I'm not sure that mistakes that happened wouldn't have still happened. They've been corrected. Building on an island anyplace is difficult at best. Where I chose to build has no water, no electricity, no town pier to land materials at, no transportation other than man power to move the material. Oh, yes don't forget the mosquito's and no'see'ums that aid in construction. Whether you build on the north side or the south it is not easy to build. I have dealt with 3 of the contractors working in CC and have had good results. Anyone contracting someone to build them a house should do the same as they would in the States. Ask the people who they built for. CC is small, you can ask anyone who built what house and you'll get an answer quickly. As Dane said there aren't many contractors on CC, so its not hard to get a read on each of them. The bad contractors soon don't get much work, especially if the buyer does their due diligence. Could I have gotten a better house for less, who knows. I'm happy with my experience in buying, building and soon living on CC. Don't generalize someone else complaints state what you experienced.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 287 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day