Quick action by the fire department and volunteers prevented a possible fire disaster in downtown San Pedro at a building that houses four businesses and one residence on Friday, June 25. The fire started at Full Chevere Internet Cafe located at ground level of the building; building is located on the corner of Pescador Drive and Tarpon Street, across of the R.C Primary School.

A fire call was received at about 2:40 p.m. on Friday, June 25 about smoke coming out the said building. Upon arrival of the San Pedro Fire Department Personnel they found that the fire had started in the kitchen area of Full Chevere Internet Café and was spreading towards the internet area. The quick action taken by the fire department and volunteers prevented a major fire disaster as they had the fire under control in 20 minutes.

Investigations revealed that the cause of the fire was an unattended microwave that overheated and resulted into the small fire. The internal structure of the building got mostly heat/smoke damage; the building was insured and belongs to Mr. Rene Casta´┐Żeda. However the business, Full Chevere Internet Café was not insured and most of its contents (computers, coolers etc.) were damaged.

Full Chevere was open for business at the time and, even though an employee was tending to a customer at the time, no one was injured. The other businesses were only affected by the heavy smoke.

Ambergris Today