Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by McLovin
I live in Oklahoma and the shops here charge about $250us for the entire program

I would suspect that what Gaz said would apply here, in that the dives wouldn't be included in that cost. In Britain it's not uncommon for inland dive centers to quote seemingly low prices for their courses, but then say that "of course" the dives are extra. Either that, or the dives are held in a local lake with minimal costs.

Just a little fyi for everyone, PADI is never concerned with dollars in a standards issue. If a complaint is filed cost paid or unpaid, high or low are never a consideration.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
WHY THE HELL DOES NO ONE DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS IF TRUE, OR ARE YOU GOING TO WAIT TILL SOMEBODY GETS KILLED?

Inplub,
The system doesn't work on rumors and suppositions...
unlike the message board :-)

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
M
M
thanks for all the replies to my question guys.But I know for a fact that the 225-250 amount includes training, equipment and dives at the lake, I have had about 15 people do it and I know the shop owners personally. Yes they do try to get them to buy equipment with offers like 15% off if you buy when you get certified but it is not required. I know these prices are also good in Kansas City, Dallas and Oklahoma City. Most shops around here have classes every week with 4-8 people at a time. Maybe volume allows them to charge less? Don't get me wrong your prices are not any higher than other places I have been. Mexico Fiji Tahiti and less than some. I guess my point was if the dive shop wanted to use the lessons as a money maker I would charge less but I am sure it is more profitable to concentrate on the divers who are already certified.

It is not Rocket Science to find out if this information is true or not, someone has to go into the office's and find out before it is to late, or are you all going to wait till someone dies?

Mclovin

Yes it would have to be volume to be able to do it so cheaply

When a dive shop in the US markets to a student and then certifies him, the shop is not looking at a one shot deal as that student, once certified will buy dive equipment, dive trips, service there dive equipment purchase dive holidays etc etc.

They have not just certified a diver they have gained a long term customer that will purchase from them time and time again.

They can afford to subsudize certifications to entice people in with low certification prices knowing that that customer will need to buy dive equipement, and that they will become a long term purchaser of there goods and services.

Its a totally different business model compared to a vacation destination who only sees that customer once.

Another thing is with volume of students, some dive shops in the US can afford to employ a full time instructor and make money off him certifying volumes of students where as in the vacation enviroment, the numbers of certifications are much less, its just 1 or 2 students at a time and on a real good day maybe 4.

Instructors are Professionals that have gone through extensive expensive training, and if they take one student over a 4 day period and get paid probably less that 50% of the amount charged, when you divide that to an hourly wage, in many cases with just one student they are working at less than min wage based on the hours they will have put in to that student.

Of course if a vacation instructor was doing consistently 8 students a week, it would be nice, but its just not realistic in Belize.

Belize also has higher costs associated with instructions for example right off the top of that price is GST 12.5% then there is 3% Business tax then the dive shop wants paying for dive equipment $20 a day then the dive shop wants to be paid for 2 days diving $150 then there is the certification card fee then the Padi Manual cost plus any commission paid.

When US shops subsidize they know they will have lots more opportunitys of after sales.

Your never going to get rich as an instructor but the lifestyle can be great I can attest to that smile.

Gaz

Last edited by Gaz Cooper; 07/01/10 11:07 AM.
Originally Posted by Inplub
It is not Rocket Science to find out if this information is true or not, someone has to go into the office's and find out before it is to late, or are you all going to wait till someone dies?

Only Peter knows the details of who it is so really the balls in his court to do something about his information.

At this point its only a rumor as Elbert says, but if true could do all sorts of damage if anything happens to a student.

Gaz

I see what Peter's point is with regard to the way the complaint form is drafted - what he could do to put the ball in PADI's court is to make and submit a written, signed and notarized sworn affidavit of the facts as he knows them - he saw the certificate and he believes the shop and master and 'instructor' are so and so, and he can provide the student's name so that PADI can investigate it. It is scary that happened.

Will the students certificate be canceled and would that mean he/she would then loose his/her money?

I came across this today. http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/184085/Scuba-girl-drowns-after-dive-crew-forgets-her

Last edited by Inplub; 07/01/10 01:02 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.