Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#382412 07/04/10 07:18 AM
OP Offline
We had a couple of days of malfunctioning appliances, and subsequently called some men from Wally's to check it out.
Diagnosis - low voltage at the meter.
Further inquiries led to the following info which I hope I am presenting correctly --- BEL's voltage regulator, located near White Sands Cove, is kaput. Until it is replaced, properties north of WSC can expect low voltage. For instance in one of our properties it was 70 (instead of 120) and in another it was 90 instead of 120 --- both bad. I understand that this fluctuates. We had individual high/low regulators on our major appliances which seems to have saved the appliances - the regulators burned out and that was why our appliances went wonky.
Anyway - advice from the electrician is that this low voltage situation will burn out your electronics, so best to unplug them or use a generator.
A new BEL voltage regulator seems to be in Belize City with delivery to the island and installation timing unknown.
If I learn about the BEL regulator being installed I'll post it here.

Diane,

our place is a little bit south of White Sands.

I installed Automatic Voltage Regulators (AVR) with low/high/normal indicator lights and also added heavy duty surge protectors on our electronics and refridge after loosing two TV sets in one year to low voltage or surge.

I notice both Low and high voltage readings every time we are there but no more problems with the electronic equipment or refridge.

We still unplug the TV's when we leave for the states, just in case.

R
ron Offline
R
An electronic appliance that uses a motor will burn out when they don't get the right voltage. BEL would serve their customers better not to provide power when it drops below 100 volts. But then they couldn't bill you. Perhaps you could bill them when your frig burns out.

OP Offline
We have a surge protector at the point where power enters our house, and several smaller ones through out the house. These are essential, but don't do diddly for low voltage situations.

Agree, the one-plug-at-a-time AVR's work well to protect the appliances, definitely. They can also fry from too long a period of low voltage (or really big spikes) - all of ours fried about 2 days ago. They sort of commit suicide to save the appliance they are protecting. When they fry they block any current at all from reaching the appliance. In theory all you need to do is replace them.
That's the wrinkle in the sheets.

We could find only one replacement for sale yesterday. Even if we would have purchased 5 or 6 (at a price of $100-150 BZ each), chances are good that the current (pun intended) situation could burn them out too.
Until the present mess is resolved, we were advised to run fewer electronics so less stuff is at risk. The temptation is to just plug in appliances and hope for the best without a high-low protector for a day or two ....... but apparently it's not a great idea just now.

I guess I will find out if my AVR on my modem & wireless "checked out" next trip down, I left them plugged in.

All my other AVR's are unplugged except one on the fridge.
I'll have to get our friend to check it out for us.

I brought the AVR's down from the states but they are heavy, about 5 lbs each.

Thanks for the heads up Diane

OP Offline
WOW 2 Miles, - you have some major league AVR's !
Ours are a lot smaller, and are probably less effective.
I'll check with BEL this morning and see what they say.
We checked our voltage this morning and it's still not too good.

I'm getting 100 volts here in the dive shop.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
OP Offline
Elbert you're a fortunate dude! I haven't a clue how electricity works really.
Our voltage was higher this morning than yesterday, but I don't think this is a self-healing system.
BEL says the Voltage Regulator is en route and hopes today or tomorrow it will be installed and working.

I had an electrician check it just hours ago.
no problem here or at my house.
it could be the antibiotic cream i squirted on the wires but probably not!
maybe you should take two aspirin and call BTL in the morning.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 356 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.