Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Gov't may contemplate moratorium on further offshore oil concessions

Other than Belize Natural Energy, no other company has struck oil in commercial quantities. There is a veritable chase similar to that of the California Gold Rush and prospectors have bought chunks of concessions hoping to one day see the slick of sweet black crude oil. But the environmental community has been focusing on the perils that come with a budding oil industry. APAMO, OCEANA, and COLA have formed a green reef type of coalition against offshore drilling. Earlier in the week, they made a joint presentation to the Belize Tourism Industry Association, asking industry stakeholders, hoteliers, tour guides, and fishermen, to join the coalition. All indications are that the B.T.I.A. is leaning towards joining the group. Initially Prime Minister Dean Barrow had rejected the idea of a ban, but today before he departed for Miami he told News Five that he would take seriously the concerns of the green reef coalition.

Jose Sanchez

"Some NGO's are asking for a moratorium or a ban on offshore drilling. They are asking the BTIA to join them. The BTIA intends to respond by the eight, World Ocean Day. Does that concern you? Will it make a difference?"

Prime Minister Dean Barrow

"No, no. It may make a difference. I continue to say while what is happening in the states must give all of us pause for thought, I don't think it means you just throw up your hands and say that's it, there can never be any possibility of offshore drilling. What it does do is to force all of us the NGO's the people in society and government to find out much more than we know about what the procedures would be. What the conditions would have to be put in place to give us the level of comfort that we all require. At the end of the process perhaps the science and the empirical evidence will convince us that nothing is risk free. In fact it would be impossible to minimize the risk that they would be comfortable. If we reach that point, the government will certainly have to, I think, contemplate a moratorium on further concessions for offshore drilling. The trick then would be what happens to the concessions that had already been giving. People have in fact made some investments. It will cost us in terms of damages, in terms of compensation but we cross that bridge when we get to it. So if I could recap Jose, it seems to me it's a wide open debate, I certainly am not going to be premature and simply declare surrender in terms of those who want a pronouncement from now, I won't do that. But I perfectly understand the gravity of the issue and how very much we have to weigh everything in the balance and try to make the right decision that will not see us likely foreclose on the possibility of likely further oil discovery that can help this country move forward, while at the same time recognizing unless we can have certain assurances, the cost benefit analysis shows it is not worth continuing."

Next week on the occasion of World Ocean Day, the green reef coalition will have a public forum at the Radisson to expose the dangers of oil spills.

Channel 5

P
P
What good will a moratorium do, when they've already issued so many permits?

US Gov't has put the brakes on offshore drilling, regardless of permits or licences issued, regardless operations already commenced.

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

P
P
The US government has a little more muscle than the Belizean equivalent, not to say perhaps rather more backbone.

I was merely pointing out that a moratorium on drilling can happen regardless that permits and licences have been issued.

P
P
And I was pointing out that in Belize I don't see that happening. A permanent moratorium would trigger compensation, and I don't see the Belize government rushing to do that smile

M
M
I disagree with paying compensation. Would you give a land speculator compensation when he buys something he cannot legally build on and gets caught or he subdivides too small and his purchasers cannt get building permits because of law (master plan ) change? I doubt that the US is paying compensation for suspending drilling.

P
P
I don't know of course, but I would suspect that if these people had to pay for permits that were then unilaterally withdrawn they'd be queuing up outside the courts to get their money back. The same people who received the money for the permits then withdrew them.

A moratorium is a temporary suspension or delay, not an absolute loss of what has been permitted (or leased, as we often call it up here), ergo, no money to be returned, unless and until completely rescinded.

P
P
I'm well aware of that, but when a "privilege" is taken away you don't necessarily know whether that will be temporary or permanent. A prudent business would take steps immediately to protect its investment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.