Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 27 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27
Eskimo #383209 07/08/10 08:13 PM
E
E
PB, No red cards but, I have a Gold Card, a Platinum card and a green card. But I still cant come to the party.............. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ernie B #383213 07/08/10 08:52 PM
ESPN preempts WC coverage with Lebron!!! ( and he isn't even a Laker)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
But then what do I know, I am but a mere caveman
Eskimo #383214 07/08/10 09:10 PM
R
ron Offline
R
You didn't listen to the octopus.

ron #383300 07/10/10 09:14 AM
Commentary: How Belize and the other Caribbean countries can win the World Cup

By Wellington C. Ramos

The most played sport throughout all the countries in the world is football, which for some strange reason the Americans choose to call soccer. I have been playing this game from the time I was a child growing up in Dangriga Town, Belize, along with some national stars such as Garincha Adderly, Buck Palacio, Nolly Moss, Pine, Wallet, Naday, Ray Moss, Anthony Moss, Nelson Moss, Henry Moss, Orin Orio Coco, Camal, Jonnie Cool, Henry Martinez, Lepaul Martinez, Pinnacles, Brazilian and many others who grew up in our neighborhood in the Logan Field area. Not only did we play this sport but we were also addicted to it until we were called "Ball Perrs".

We became good football players without much family and community support, no sponsorship, inadequate playing facilities and no equipment. In many parts of Belize and the Caribbean region most of the players who played this sport and those who continue to play it are experiencing the same thing. For Belize and the other countries to win a World Cup tournament, the countries of the Caribbean must have a long term plan in place, beginning now. The children in these countries should be trained from young how to play football and other sports. The governments should ensure that professional coaches, equipments, clubs, leagues, sponsorships and facilities are available for these children to play the sports.

Once these things are in place, the children will have something to look forward to because they know that if they work hard and excel in their sport they will eventually become a professional in the sport they choose to play. In Belize we need to resurrect primary school, high school, college and inter-district leagues. The Ministry of Sports can establish a director for each sport to go through the entire country and make sure that there are representatives in each district for all the sports. A site should be designated as the national sports training center where all Belizeans who are selected to play for the national team will live, camp and receive training before he or she is sent to represent Belize as a national sportsman in the sport they play.

I am of the opinion that there should be a national football league for amateurs that is managed by the government of Belize and a professional league managed by businesspeople. When businesspeople invest their funds into something, they will be looking forward to see positive results and, if they are not satisfied with the results they are getting, they will get out of the business. It will also increase the competition among the other team clubs. Once we have a professional league the players must have a union to represent their interest.

The government of Belize should formulate laws as to how these leagues are going to be operated and all the intricacies of the various sports. Currently, Belize has two football leagues that seem to be fighting among themselves for a long time now. The government has been standing in the middle as the referee afraid to blow the whistle to end this game. While this nonsense has been taking place, the quality of football that Belize has been playing over the years has dropped tremendously and the beat goes on with no hope of becoming competitive in the world of football. Most former Belizean football players and current ones are tired of this and want this drama to end now.

If the government of Belize does not step in now, football and many other sports in Belize will remain mediocre for a long time. I am convinced that the teams Belize selected over the years did not include the best players that Belize has. The method in which most of the players have been selected was based on favoritism. I went to the Alliance Stadium in Houston two years ago to watch the Belize national team play against Mexico and I was not impressed. When football was being played in the 1970s, with teams such as Chitos Eleven, Berger 404, White Label, Charger, Landivar, Police Invaders, Bellprint, etc., the quality of football was far better than it is today. Plus, inter-district competition attracted more attention and excitement than current day professional league games.

I now call on the new Minister of Sports, Honorable John Saldivar, and the former football players in Belize and abroad, to read this article and summon a meeting with all the football league representatives to embark on a new course to revive football in Belize. To the point, where our country will become competitive and be looked upon by other countries in the world as a nation to be reckoned with when it comes to playing football with the other countries in the world.

I watched most of the games in this year's World Cup and throughout these games I kept wondering what must my country of Belize do to be there in the next World Cup 2014. I like to see the determination the Spanish and the Dutch bring to this World Cup and they both must be commended for playing out their hearts for their country. Pretty soon this will all come to and end with Spain taking this title for the first time in their nation's history.

Marty #383327 07/10/10 12:41 PM
C
C
Marty, I could not agree more with what you have said.
it is a national shame that there is no proper international football. I agree that the minister should gather the various organisers of leagues together and insist on a single entity. This will lead to temporary expulsion from FIFA possibly, but once the government has done its job of unifying the separate groups and leagues, it can withdraw and let them run football as happens everywhere else.
The importance of international sport cannot be overemphasized. To support Belize catches public attention, and some success is a morale boost for us all. Just look at the current basketball tournament. if basketball can do it, so can football.
This enthusiasm and popularity spreads down to the children of this country some of whom already play football. that should be encouraged, and the dream of scoring the winning goal for your country is one hell of an encouragement.
Look at Brazil. every street kid kicks a ball around, and every now and then a new star emerges. There is no reason that could not happen here. I wish your campaign the very best of luck.
PS i think it will be Holland smiling tomorrow night.

chris45 #383328 07/10/10 12:49 PM
P
P
Starting point. Kick out Bertie Chimillio - Hard.

Phil #383329 07/10/10 12:49 PM
P
P
Sorry Chris - Spain at a canter.

Phil #383405 07/11/10 04:40 PM
S
S
VIVA ESPANA!

SP Daily #383406 07/11/10 05:02 PM
C
C
OK Phil. Spain it is. but surely you will not claim "at a canter?"
A poor game where both sides tried to smother the other. The Dutch were lucky to end with ten men. there were at least two other second yellows including that unbelievably high kick on the chest by, was it Sneidjer?
Whose your man of the tournament? I take Forlan.
How amazing is the list of fallen stars. Rooney, Ronaldo, Torres,Fabregas Kaka, Messi (borderline) and even Villa did not look much today. What happened to make all these big stars fail?
Is it that they were carrying injuries?
i don't see how you can claim to be a world star and fail in the World Cup. Perhaps it will cut some of these guys (and their alleged transfer values) down to size.
Thoughts?

chris45 #383413 07/11/10 07:47 PM
R
ron Offline
R
Should have listened to the octopus.

Page 24 of 27 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 27

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.