Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#384298 07/21/10 11:12 AM
Joined: Oct 1999
Posts: 84,400
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The river was still rising at 9 am and the Kendall bridge is
closed...... by the way the 636 number takes you straight to NEMO. For those of you on Facebook you can follow this link to the Kendell Bridge Info page http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=130568160292625&ref=ts

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,461
K
Offline
K
Open now. The new bridge will be 3.5 meters higher than the last one.


Belize based travel specialist
www.belize-trips.com
[email protected]
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,416
Offline
higher is not that important as the water never swamped the old bridge.
but it better be stronger!

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 623
Offline
Had my first experience at Kendal on Wednesday while on my way to Placencia. Had to wait there 1 1/2 hrs until crossing opened.There were people there from 6:30am waiting.

Thank God I don't do that journey often!!!!!!!

Have to admit though, that I really enjoyed the drive on the newly paved Placencia road. What a pleasure it is to drive it now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by belizegial; 07/23/10 10:05 PM.
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,538
Offline
No Crossing the Kendall

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] While city residents tried to cope with navigating the flooded streets of Belize yesterday, commuters and motorists whose final destination required crossing the infamous Kendall bridge found out this morning that once again the old white elephant was living up to its name. Torrential rains up in the hills are said to be responsible for the flooding of the bridge which our sources say reached at one point to a level of 8 feet above the bridge. At 9 P.M. a flash flood caused flooding twelve inches above the bridge, but that water is said to have subsided within an hour and a half. But at Four Thirty this morning, the water began to rise again, this time up to a level of Seven to Eight feet above the bridge making it impassable for motorists. Seven News spoke with Roberto Ramirez, Operations Officer for the National Emergency Management Operations, who gave us an update on the status of the Kendall.

Voice of Roberto Ramirez, Operations Officer for the National Emergency Management Operations

"I got the report of the report somewhere around 5 o'clock in the morning that the river was rising and the bridge was cover under water. So from around 5 o' clock this morning until around minutes to 3 when it was officially open again for normal transportation to pass. That's quite a few hours that transportation was impassable."

Monica Bodden
"Were there operations to ferry people back and forth?"

Voice of Roberto Ramirez
"We have standard operating procedures for the Kendall because the Kendall has been down for the past 2 years and since then whenever the Kendall is down we have a group of people that are mobilize that entails police, ministry of works, the Belize Defence Force, NEMO personnel, Transport personnel, there is a standard operating procedures, once we know we foresee it is going to happen we deploy and we offer assistance hence forth. Sometimes the river is too far flowing and that is when we don't cross anyone at all because its completely unsafe. Like this morning it was about 10 feet above the causeway and it's totally unfair for our people to be in the water, its swift and running and very dangerous. At the present moment we expect this thunder storm to finish around midday as predicted by the Belize MET service and we speak I think the rain has slow down considerably. The water level has gone down and it's still receding. But at the present moment we are not expecting any more rains."

Seven News attempted to get a comment from the Ministry of Works, responsible for the bridge but were unable to reach anyone.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=17430


Live and let live
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,538
Offline
KENDALL RECONSTRUCTION

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] In 2008, Southern Belize was cut off from the rest of the country when the Kendal Bridge was completely washed away after the floods of Tropical Storm Arthur. A temporary causeway was built to replace the bridge in order for access. In June of 2008, Cadet Henderson, Chief Executive Officer in the Ministry of Works told the media the US Government's Department of Defense had offered to supply a 275 foot long bridge which was to be delivered in 45 days. That military bridge to replace the Kendal for the medium term never happened, because the bridge turned out to have been the wrong size. Since then, every time the weatherman calls for rain, concerns about flooding at the low lying Kendal Causeway come to mind. But today, the Minister of Works says construction of a new bridge is in the works.

Anthony Boots Martinez, Minister of Works

"The Kendall is at the opening tender stage now. On August the 4th there will be the public opening of which we will be inviting the media. The closing tender date was the 15th of July. The opening tender will be the 4th of August and from there we are ready to go in terms of breaking ground around September and that should be my estimation about one and a half years before the completion of Kendall Bridge."

According to Boots the hold up on the Kendall Bridge was due to proper protocols that had to be followed when it came down to funding.

Anthony Boots Martinez
[Linked Image] "I think the concern that people have is why so long? Well I must place on the record and I have been saying it for a while that the funding is from CDB of which the government need to follow protocols in terms; they tell you when to launch; they tell you all you they need; they decide the timeframe in regards to when and how we reach at this stage. It's not because the money is there and we go and grab it, its takes a process; the EIA; the design; the approval of design; the consultancy and everything. We are there now and physical construction should begin in October."

The Minister says, the only concern people will have for the next year and a half is - the flooding at the low-lying Kendall.

Anthony Boots Martinez
"The only problem we have with that temporary replacement bridge is when flooding occurs. Its a bridge that we invested in, we have spent a lot of money on that low-laying bridge, but also too its serves as temporary bridge, it will not wash away. The structure of it is built to withstand the wash over. The only inconvenience that people will have is when the water rises and when it recedes they can pass. one and a half years from now Kendall bridge should be completed."

A government press release sent to us late this afternoon says an International bridge consulting firm has been retained to design the replacement bridge and the new bridge will be constructed at an elevation of 14 feet higher than the previous bridge deck level.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=17444


Live and let live

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 146 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,043
Members20,484
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021



AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5