Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
moab Offline OP
OP Offline
M

And "how do I get back?"

My wife and I recently returned from a trip to St Georges Caye (http://gooddiving.com/) It was the best trip that we have ever had. I have one of those jobs that all I need is the internet and the phone. It really does not matter where I am. Last night we again discussed packing it all up and moving to Belize. My questions is what are the disadvantages to an American living in Belize?

Question from http://www.gettoknowu.com/Catagory/Geography_03.php

Disadvantages? hmmmmmm
I guess it depends on who you are. If you like to dress up and go to the opera theater on occasion your screwed.
There are tons of Americans living and working here.
My wife was a high-tech head hunter in California during the dotcom days and thought working here would be no problem.
Phone service , iffy electrical service and slow internet changed that thinking right away.
There is also, sometimes, a misconception of how important the occasional lunch with a client is.
I would encourage you, but also warn this ain't the Jimmy Buffet experience people generally think it is.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
The only disadvantage I've seen some expats encounter has been unrealistic expectations.

www.conchcreative.com
Belize Wedding Photography

T
T
We're in the same boat, slowly making those same moves, heavily dependent on internet and phone service to run our businesses and so far, though it's taken a lot of research, those things are surmountable with the right phone and, if you pay enough, for high speed. The pros outweigh the cons by far. I've done 'test' runs and am still working on it with every trip, but it's doable and the rewards, the feeling when I wake up in the morning (and I mean every morning) that I am in the most beautiful place on earth, by far outweighs any minor frustrations I've had so far. I moved to Europe years ago and found adjusting to Belize far easier, so maybe I am more prepared than others when moving to a new country. However, another point is, here in a major North American city, I have been slamming my phone against the wall every day recently as every phone and internet company here has screwed up my service for various reasons (it's like a bad Monty Python movie) and I am left on hold forever with each one of them, bumped from department to department by 20-somethings who can only read from a script (I'm so sorry you are being inconvenienced...blah, blah,blah...). I think our 'advancement' in our so-called developed countries is over rated and being a nameless, faceless human being in this fast paced culture is more frustrating and stressful than anything I have ever faced in Belize. Our neighborhood here has been subjected to numerous power outages over the years, so I've had to find internet cafes around town to work out of, and not having heat in the winter is not fun as they try to figure out what's wrong. My internet goes down here too (probably due to too many power surges burning out my modem) and I wait up to 48 hours for service and the guy just shows up and scratches his head. Honestly - I get better service in Belize these days. For those of you who have been in Belize for years now, believe me, this is getting worse not better in N.A. I'm still 'in the process' but so far haven't found any major reason to turn and run with my tail between my legs. Quite the opposite.

S
S
We moved here almost 3 years ago and must say it was a bit frustrating at first trying to find a few of our basic creature comforts like good coffee, cookware, etc. It seems that there are more options these days (or maybe we have just learned where to get what?). Still trying to figure out where to buy dental floss...

Like you, I always prefer "running to" vs "running from" scenario. Best of luck to you in finding your paradise smile

R
R
Ry, Oh, the memories, Marsh Harbor, Green Turtle Caye, Hopetown and numerous other little harbors and cayes. Snorkeling, diving and fishing. But come hurricane season, watch out. Hurricane alley.

San Pedro is close enough to paradise for me. smile

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
L
L
Visually, the most beautiful place I have yet to see on Earth is Bora Bora....

gottcha ragman - tough choices eh? grin

M
moab Offline OP
OP Offline
M
This is a big help. Thank you all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 308 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.