Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
The 21st Central American and Caribbean games start tomorrow in the City of Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. Belize is sending 17 athletes to compete in 4 disciplines: Athletics, Cycling, Karate and Taekwondo.

The cycling delegation was the first to leave and they will represent at the opening ceremonies. We were able to catch up with the Belizean Team at the airport before they left. :....

Emaun Hyde "What are your hopes for the games?"

Perry Gibson
"We are entering into the male road race and the female time trial; we have two entries into the time trial. We are hopping basically to at the minimum try to get a medal. The idea is to try to get a medal. Which medal, that depends on the luck and the competition."

Gregory Lovell
"I expect good results. The races that are international are very fast."

Emaun Hyde
"Will you bring home a medal?"

Gregory Lovell
"Yeah."

Emaun Hyde
"Are you more excited or nervous?"

Gregory Lovell
"Well I'm not nervous, I'm a little excited. It's a Central American and Caribbean games, and I'm proud to do that."

Shalini Zabaneh
"You have to be mentally prepared, physically as well, but if you go there not believing in yourself then you've already lost."

Emaun Hyde
"Do you think that having support makes a difference in how well you perform?"

Shalini Zabaneh
"Always, you always need 100% support from everybody you know, and one negative person can bring you down, but you have to stay positive."

Emaun Hyde
"How does it feel representing your country?"

Shalini Zabaneh
"Oh, it's an honor. I love representing Belize, I love representing my country."

Shalini Zabaneh, will be the Belizean Flag Bearer. She is the three time National Road Champion and a Silver Medalist at the recently concluded Central American Games.

Athletes in the other discipline leave the country next week....

The games continue until August first.

Channel 7

2010 Central American and Caribbean Games

[Linked Image] The 2010 Central American and Caribbean Games got off to a rocky start last Sunday, in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. The opening scheduled for last Saturday, July 17th, had to be re-scheduled for the following day, Sunday, after strong wind gusts in the region caused the collapse of the scaffolding of lights at the stadium, resulting in property damage and seven people injured.

Despite the wrench thrown in by Mother Nature, the games in their fourth day are on and on schedule. And already, the medal count is being tallied. No major surprise on who's topping the medal list though. The medal distribution so far reflects the larger group of countries which have fielded large delegations to the games.

Venezuela is leading with a total of 148 medals, while Mexico and Colombia follow with 129 and 118 respectively. Colombia leads in the number of Gold medals with a total of 56. Belize's small delegation has medaled yet. But in the Cycling discipline, Belize's riders both male and female have performed respectably. Yesterday, Belize's top female cyclist Shalini Zabaneh placed seventh in the women's time trial. And in the Male time trial, Byron Pope placed tenth and Jairo Campos placed 15th.

http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=17412

Live and let live
Belizeans at Central American and Caribbean Games

[Linked Image] The Central American and Caribbean Games in Puerto Rico is completing the first week of competitions despite a late start. The delay was caused by a tornado that hit Mayaguez, damaging the stadium where the opening ceremony was to be held and injuring seven persons. According to the National Coach of Belize's Cycling Team, they were in a safe location and were not affected by the tornado. That's the good news, but Coach Perry Gibson is not thrilled with the way the competitions are going so far. But still he told us via phone today that he has hope for his team.

Via Phone: Perry Gibson, National Coach, Belize Cycling Team

"It hasn't been going-I wouldn't say badly-but really what has happened is that at these games we've met the powerhouses in Central America and the Caribbean, namely Mexico, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Columbia and Costa Rica. In the time trial that we had Shalini Zabaneh was eighth and for the males Byron Pope was tenth. He basically made the top ten. Only one guy from Jamaica from the Caribbean had beaten him."

Delahnie Bain

"Do you see it getting any better for them?"

Via Phone: Perry Gibson

"Yeah, what we have right now is that we have the best chance I believe we have is Gregory Lovell in the track in the two hundred meter sprint. That will be taking place tomorrow."

Delahnie Bain

"And the other riders, do they have any more events to take part in?"

"Yes, there is still the road race, which will take place next week Wednesday. So it's a road event next week Wednesday for both male and female."

Delahnie Bain

"So that gives them a bit of time to prepare. What do you think they need to do to�"

"Everyday we've been preparing very well. The weather here is very unpredictable; there's a lot of rain but what we've been doing is early morning, we've been getting up three o'clock Belize time and doing our training early."

Gibson and the cycling team will return to Belize on July twenty-eighth.

http://edition.channel5belize.com/?p=36020

Live and let live

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 301 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.