Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
There have been a few recent posts asking how to travel with a dog to Belize. Rules have changed since I last updated a thread with details. It is VERY important you meet all requirements or they will deny you from boarding your flight.

Purchase your ticket and make sure the airlines know you are traveling with your pet.

Many airlines do not allow dogs to be checked with luggage. The two airlines to Belize that accept pets to be checked are American and Continental.

-Must have a clear bag of dog food tapped to the top of the kennel with instructions should there be an emergency or delay.
-Must have a water bottle (the gerbil type) that fits on the outside of the kennel door whether your dog knows how to use them or not.
-Must have airport approved kennel large enough for pet to stand up and turn around. I suggest bringing extra nuts/bolts that fit the kennel as they often pop off the kennels. The airline will also cable tie the dog in the kennel. Please make sure your dog has comfort and you provide some type of pillow or comfy blanket.
-Must label kennel 'LIVE ANIMAL' on each side of kennel with name of dog
-If temperatures are predicted less than 45 degrees at any place of travel you MUST have a vets letter stating dog can travel in temperatures as low as 20 degrees F. No exceptions on airlines without this letter!

After purchasing your airfare
Submit your import permit application via fax or email to BAGA Belize. This import permit is required by Belize and usually issued upon arrival when you pay. It is not a requirement to leave the US, however
REQUEST A COPY BE FAXED OR EMAILED TO YOU BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE US. LAST TIME I WAS ASKED FOR A COPY BY THE AIRLINES AND DENIED BOARDING TO MY FLIGHT! I was stuck at 4am and couldn't get to Belize for another day!
Baha will do this for an additional $35 and will charge when you arrive.
Tel: 501-822-0818
501-822-0818
501-822-1378
501-822-1378
alternate number for pet import 822-3084
Fax: 501-822-0271
Email: if emailing for permit, send to both
[email protected] and [email protected] Ms.Nadine Hegar

Required information
Your name
Dogs name
Breed
Weight
Color
Address in US (or where you are coming from)
Intended address upon arrival in Belize
Estimated date arriving
Port of entry(Phillip Goldson Int. Airport).
Days and Hours

Every day of the week 8-5pm (in past was only M-F)

Required information upon entry
All records of current vaccinations and valid rabies shot. They now also ask for proof or a statement that the pet is free of ehrlichiosis (disease from ticks)

Fees
Now $75BZ ($50 BZ to enter and $25 BZ inspection and which is them looking at your dog for 30 seconds.)

BAHA Belize is very helpful when applying and upon arrival. The process is easy.
-----------------------------------------------------
GETTING TO THE ISLAND
I highly recommend the water taxi. Though it takes longer it is well worth it for the dog. It is much easier on the dog (and the person with the dog) in my opinion. My dog personally hated getting out of her kennel after traveling so long from the states to then be put back into her kennel for the flight to the island.

Water Taxi
Allow one and a half hours after arrival to determine which water taxi you will take
20-30 minutes for customs and bags
15-20 minutes at BAHA to import your pet and pay your fees
10 minutes to load up your cab with luggage and pet
20 minute for cab ride to water taxi and to purchase your water taxi ticket upon arriving at terminal
$17.50 US one way
Caye Caulker Water Taxi departures (Belize City-San Pedro)
10:30am, 12pm, 1:30pm, 3:00pm, 4:30pm
The San Pedro Water Taxi which is 1 hour direct however they charge $20 for the dog and CC Water Taxi the dog is free like luggage.

Flying
Tropic charges three seats for the dog=$180 US each way. Plus your ticket= $60 US which is over $200 US. If you have a very large kennel at times they do ask for you to purchase four seats for the dog!!!!

Maya Island Air charges only one seat for the dog= $60 US each way. Plus your ticket= $60 US totaling only $110 US.
YOU MUST NOTIFY MAYA ISLAND AIR IN ADVANCE SO THEY HAVE THE APPROPRIATE PLANE TO TAKE THE DOG

sandyb Offline OP
OP Offline
Have been delving into the details more since my original post and question. Thanks to Kerry I found out that you must get a permit from USDA prior to your flight. You must have the rabies vaccine administered no more than 30 days before, vet checked health certificate 10 days prior and hand delivered or Fed-exed to USDA for approval before departure and you have to get a permit from BAHA (go online) and have animal inspected at the airport on arrival. I'm still waiting for a reply from BAHA and will probably call them in the next day or so.
All of the government entities require a fee.
I checked with Tropic Air and they said no problem for a small pet in a carry-on size carrier.
Hope this new information is of help (or warning) to you.

Paradise Gallery & Frame San Pedro, AC

"Custom Framing & Art Gallery featuring local Artisans"
the permit from the USDA is the same as your health certificate from your vet. The Vet cert should be no more than 10 days before travel.

The "inspection" (which is more of a money maker for BAHA) is listed above with the fee.

Did you email Ms. Nadime for the permit or general BAHA? You will find the response times significantly different.

Sandy, saw you pm-ed me but the message is blank. Just let me know right here and I'll get back to you.

sandyb Offline OP
OP Offline
Please send me Ms Nadime's contact info. Thanks for all your info, it has been very helpful.

Paradise Gallery & Frame San Pedro, AC

"Custom Framing & Art Gallery featuring local Artisans"
Glad it helped, the paperwork is so important in order to get on your us flight to bz.

All email addresses and phone numbers are listed with the BAHA info above.

I am resurrecting this thread as I am still a little confused about what is required by BAHA to bring a small dog into Belize from the USA re. the international vet certificate (I am looking at an APHIS Form 7001 now).

The requirements that BAHA sent me state that:
"The pet animal is to be accompanied by a veterinary certificate issued by a registered veterinarian in the country of origin"

However, I have read on this forum that others have gotten the USDA endorsement/stamp on the 7001 form before bringing pets into Belize. Is this USDA endorsement actually required for pet dog entry into Belize? Or just the Veterinary certification by my registered vet?

I found a list of countries online ( USDA Countries) that do require the USDA endorsement, and Belize was not in the list, so I am thinking it is not required, but I wanted to check with those who may have been through this process lately.

Thanks!
Emily

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
R
R
Emily, I have presented a vet certificate only and have not used nor was I asked for a USDA Cert. in Belize. The Vet Certificate of Health was signed by the Vet only and not endorsed by the USDA. Someone at the Airline Cargo in the USA informed me that I needed a USDA form endorsed by the USDA but when I checked on it I found that it was not necessary in Belize. Bring a copy of the Belize requirements with you in case you are questioned. I had no trouble.

Jim
Formerly from somewhere on a beach in Belize
Thanks so much, Jim!

That's a good idea to bring a copy of the Belize (BAHA) requirements in case US Airways gives us any problem.

Much appreciated... smile

Emily

Former Belize expat traveling the USA & Mexico
http://travelingtwosome.weebly.com
C
ctb Offline
C
If you travel to Belize more than once a year, it is beneficial to apply to BAHA for a Belizean Animal Passport. Costs $100 BZ and is good for one year. Very easy to renew.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 298 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.