Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
There is no question that after a tourist gets robbed, can't take a shower or run the air conditioning for lack of water and power, that after a stroll along the boardwalk they will return and tell their friends how wonderful Belize is.
There are limited resources available to Belize. To use them in this manner is just plain stupid.
The operative word is "PRIORITIES".
Improving the crime situation, infrastructure and controlling development will go much further to improving tourism than a fricking boardwalk.

C
C
Mike: you are right. Improving tourism while the residents of San Mateo wade through foul water, while children die of septicemia is uncaring. Wherever the funding comes from, this shows that the tourism industry on San Pedro does not care about those effectively disenfranchised.
And before anyone asks, yes I have been to San Mateo, have you?

S
S
So we should refuse the IDB funds????

NO just find a better use for them. Duh!

i tend to agree.
right now the V.C. in placencia is actively soliciting donations from everyone to fund the police force.
i have never understood this. what i believe to be one of if the most important dept, and they have no money?

edit: but we get a pier.

Last edited by Barnacle; 07/30/10 10:01 AM.
M
M
I am now unclear. I have reread the articles and see that they specifically say $6M for San Pedro (out of a $15M total) and the planning contract for $400K+ is for San Pedro although there are posts saying we only get part of that. Which is it?
There was a public consultation on this last year and BTB was involved. I spoke to one town councilor that had argued for fixing the area some but spending the bulk on roads. It seems that was a possibility at the time as that is certainly tourism related. However he did not get his way and the money will be spent for the board walk.
It is priorities plain and simple. This appears to be a Ministry decision, bad decision.
The contracts will be awarded by GOB not by IE. IE is a fair employer and would offer the contracts probably to San Pedro first but they are only the planner.
We must watch this carefully.

M
M
Yes it's crazy that we raise private funds to give to the police. Truth is about half the police budget is wasted on supporting senior police structure in Belmopan, not to mention all the running back and forth to Belmopan. If Placencia is paying them they should be responsible to the people of Placencia.
Our police system needs a complete overhaul. The existing structure can not even train an officer to collect evidence. Thats why we have a murder conviction rate of 7%. Untrained police and prosecutors with less legal education than the defense attorneys are two major problems.

i think the main reason for this latest fund drive is to repair their one and only P-O-S car they sometimes have.

B
B
Where is the 2000' of boardwalk?
I see about 500' in the photo.

M
M
2,000' is probably all the way to the gas station.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 319 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.