Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#38557 05/03/01 09:54 PM
B
OP Offline
B
We would like to say in defense of Idaho - his post was one of the first I (Jeanne) remember reading. True, it wasn't favorable of AC, but htat's the good thing about it. If you go somewhere expecting "wine and roses", and something goes wrong, then it totally bums you out.

We have thoroughly enjoyed this board, and all the people on it. And as wonderful as AC sounds -- nothing is perfect. And it is GOOD to be reminded of that.

Honestly, when I read ID's trip report, I was surprised at how badly he was slammed. To each there own, it takes all different types to make the world go 'round.. etc. Besides if EVERYONE loved AC, wouldn't that ruin it? (LOL)

Now please, we love y'all - please don't slam us. We just innocent cajun-folk!

Jeanne & Bill

#38558 05/03/01 11:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Anonymous
A
Thanks for the good words Jeanne, I don't feel I was slammed to bad, pretty mild really. If that is the best they can do they should go on over to 'usenet' and get a real taste of slamming and flaming, this is very mild to say he least. Its just tough to believe my trip report was transported into cyberspace. As you said, "True, it wasn't favorable of AC, but that's the good thing about it", sometimes a reality check is in order but they don't want to hear it. I know 'wine and roses' don't happen all the time but most/all/some of these posters think its there all the time, even they admit looking through thier rose colored glasses, which means they din't see things as they really are.

If you like send me a email, I have got a few from some of the readers of the board who have asked some questions and a couple who have commented about other things, interesting if I say so.

[email protected]

#38559 05/04/01 09:48 AM
S
S
Hear, hear!!

#38560 05/04/01 09:52 AM
Amen!

#38561 05/04/01 01:58 PM
Just a note to say that there are several moderators of this board, and any can pull stuff off. That's because of certain abuses that have occured, we need to keep folks with the edit power handy.

We do not meet together to discuss before editing. Tho some have emailed me about this edit or that edit, over time we trust each other to do the right thing. I do not second guess them, and we all live with the results.

If you feel particular posts were pulled unfairly, just know that we are doing the best we can, and its all water under the bridge anyway soon enough.....

Thanks for all your contributions, and I hope they keep coming.

#38562 05/04/01 02:21 PM
Thanks Marty.
We are well aware that your tireless efforts keep this board the nice one that it has been, is, and will continue to be......
Most of us are familiar with the difference between hilarious fun, and obnoxious personal attacks. You (and others) do a great job.

#38563 05/04/01 02:45 PM
J
J
I do agree that the great majority of the posts are on the extreme positive side. I have posted regarding our family stay at the Mata Chica and have stated only a portion of our gripes but interestingly enough people rarely ask / dig for any more info. Maybe it's only the people who are considering staying at a particular resort that inquire further but look at the trip report this week with a fair rating on the trip and only 3 responses. Hey, I / we loved many things about our trip but there were definitely areas where this board can paint a more authentic picture of things. It's extremely helpful but a little more tolerance / encouragement of negatives on Belize is in order in my opinion. Not everyone can spend a large amount of money and look the other way / " get over it" when things don't go as expected. It is a fairly expensive vacation for a family. The country has much to offer and I will return, much wiser of where to stay. Keep up the good work.

#38564 05/04/01 03:40 PM
M
M
Don't let San Pedro be the standard by which you judge ALL of Belize. Mainland (and other cayes) have MUCH to offer . . . and reasonably.

#38565 05/04/01 03:57 PM
B
B
I also don't understand why Idaho Divers trip report was pulled off the board. When we planned our vacation to Belize we, along with our neighbors, relied on info from this message board as well as getting books from the library(unfortunately, none post 1997) We also read about the diving in magazines subscribed to like Skin Diver and Rodale's Scuba Diving. Both the guys on our trip were like Idaho-going for the diving which had gotten rave reviews. Needless to say, when they went for their first dive they were disappointed in that the coral was in such bad shape. Like Idaho said-dead and broken. My husband's friend was so upset because this trip was more expensive than ones they have been on before and their financial position at the time was a little tight. He was expecting the diving to be as had been reported. Since our return, I have read other diving reports and for the most part, again raves about the coral-where did those divers go? When I read Ax's report the dive sites he mentioned were the same ones my husband and his buddy dived. Ax only mentioned 1 site where he thought the coral was in bad condition-I don't understand this at all. I'm not a diver so I didn't get to see first hand the condition of the reef. I believe that if this message board is supposed to be informative then all posts-positive and negative should be allowed. Some people do plan their trip on the comments found on the board. Wish we had known that April was a windy month and not the best time to go for the diving. Now we know, from talking with the people who work and live in AC to come back in May. We had good and bad experiences with the food-I had read several negative posts about Elvi's-slow service,lukewarm food, etc. I'm glad we didn't avoid going-we thoroughly enjoyed our dinners there. Now, in a restaurant, you can have good days and bad days as conditions change. However, the condition of the reef isn't going to change for several yrs. as it takes that long for coral to recover. The gals at Belize UW Video were honest with us when we talked to them. They said most of the damage was from Hurr. Mitch yrs. ago. Hurr. Keith slammed the town more so than the reef. Therefore we also take issue with the dive magazines that also raved about the second longest barrier reef in the world with healthy hard and soft corals. We would return to Belize because there is so much more to this place than just the diving and this from my husband who would spend his entire vacation underwater if he could! We loved everything about the Cayo district. We loved the town of San Pedro-not too big but not too small either. My husband enjoyed all the big animals he saw on his dives even tho no beautiful corals and sponges. He especially enjoyed the night dive and his all day trip to the Blue Hole. Eventually, we will return but hubby wants to try some diving in the far Pacific-I believe this board mentioned something about Palau and Yap?? What I enjoyed most about Belize was the fact that, as a non diver, I wasn't just relagated to spending all my time at the pool-there were day trips that I could take to the ruins, etc. The people we met were all soooooooo very nice and always in such good spiits-I loved that about this place also. I personally don't drink beer at all but the rest of our group reallllly liked the belikin-one of the favorite pics of our trip for the guys was a shot I took of the belikin beer delivery tractor/wagon! One of my worst vacations but one of my husband's best was our trip to Bonaire-nothing for me to do but the diving was awesome per hubby. I truly feel bad for Idaho as he had such a bad experience with the diving. I don't think he was trying to be mean-spirited. When he did his first post, it was his opinion about his trip. Then he got ragged on so bad from people who are obviously passionate about AC that things kind of got out of hand. I read the post from the 14 yr. old-didn't realize it was his daughter. I felt bad when I didn't see any replies. I didn't respond because my children are all in their 30's with no kids and I had never been to AC before so I couldn't help. I did wonder why some of the repeat visitors who say they are friends with so many locals didn't respond? I would have thought they could have helped. Everyone seems to know all the best places to punta/party and get good drinks. I'm sure there are teens who live in and who visit AC? Again, before everyone jumps on my back-there were things I liked and things I didn't like about Belize. I have a lot of good memories about this trip just like other trips I have taken.

#38566 05/04/01 04:11 PM
Just so you know...if I pull anything off this board......I copy it into a notepad to save for myself and also into an email for Marty to read so he will know what has been pulled.

I rarely have had to pull anything....only on extreme cases when there is a nut case running loose and reeking havoc in here.

Thanks for keeping it real! [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.