Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
S
S
The 7th day is mine..to go to Canuck's and use up my bar tab...c'mon down and I'll buy you a drink

It really depends. AC is similar to living in N.C. for the cost of living. Just my 2 cents. I live moderately but do support 3 children and found AC to be about the same. I am sure if I lived in LA or a big city AC would be considered cheaper than a big US city.

mary
G
G
Here's an example then. It has pretty much been 90 to 95 degrees most days all summer. Humidity is 80 percent most of the time. Some people live without AC, and it's easier if you live right on the beach. If you live one house back the breeze is blocked. So, a lot of people AC their bedroom so they can sleep at night. It costs $400 to $600 Bz to do this. So some people AC fir a few hours and shut it off. Some people just use fans.
You can decide, what's comfortable. But in any case, given the 90 degree plus heat, every day, to live comfortably, it costs a lot. And, that is to AC one room. This isn't a complaint...it's just as hot in MD where I come from, but you can AC the whole house for less.

S
S
AC is for gringos

G
G
Hello, we're gringos. And that's the point. People (gringos) are asking what it costs to live here.

E
E
I posted this before but since it came up again, it cost me at a minimum of $75K per year. Nice condo, 2-3 meals out each day, bar tabs etc etc

D
D
It is interesting how expensive you guys live. I built my house such that it is shaded, insulated, and cool inside and paid for. It is nice enough that we get tourists who have heard of it and want a tour,
One bedroom has aircondition. My elect utilities run about BZ$200, using my pump and 3000 gal rain vat and not buying water. The internet is fast enough at $50/mo. Eat out about half the time.
No cart.Ride bike. I call a cart taxi about 20 days a month. My personal guy drives me around $5x20 equals BZ$100/mo
Windsurfing is free.I get the gear from my small windsurf retail shop.
I go to the city once or twice a year.
We don't drink.
We live easily on US$1500/mo without trying.Lately we have only been here 6-8 mos a year. That costs around US$8-10K. Renting our house when we are gone has been bringing in US$6K or so a year, so the first half of winter is paid from that.

Last edited by Dane; 08/24/10 03:17 AM.
Originally Posted by Dane
It is interesting how expensive you guys live. I built my house such that it is shaded, insulated, and cool inside and paid for. It is nice enough that we get tourists who have heard of it and want a tour,
One bedroom has aircondition. My elect utilities run about BZ$200, using my pump and 3000 gal rain vat and not buying water. The internet is fast enough at $50/mo. Eat out about half the time.
No cart.Ride bike. I call a cart taxi about 20 days a month. My personal guy drives me around $5x20 equals BZ$100/mo
Windsurfing is free.I get the gear from my small windsurf retail shop.
I go to the city once or twice a year.
We don't drink.
We live easily on US$1500/mo without trying.Lately we have only been here 6-8 mos a year. That costs around US$8-10K. Renting our house when we are gone has been bringing in US$6K or so a year, so the first half of winter is paid from that.

We don't drink. Theres your answer.

Captain One Iron
ya, know...there are a LOT of things that absolutely make it possible to live in AC for $1500 a month. Ive done it for 4.5 years.

1) I own my home
2) I bought my beloved 1998 electric golf cart (poor girl does cost me about $50 USD a month on average in maintenance)
3) Four 5 gallon bottles of water, delivered - $7.50 USD for all 4 bottles (versus $9 USD for ONE in the states)
4) Property Taxes - $65 USd per year (versus $7500 i paid for same size lot in Phila)
5) Cart Insurance - $50 USD per year (versus $2200 i paid in the states)
6) Electic Bill per month (AC to sleep, electric golf cart, washer dryer, full size side by side fridge with ice maker) $100 USD per month (note: no heating bills)
7) If i MUST have a US product, ie Baked Doritos, they are about 30% higher than the states. If you like central american products, (some of which are FABULOUS) you'll save a bundle.

So yes, you really can live the dream, even in San Pedro.

Viva La Belice!!!!!!!!!!

K
K
That doesn't add up to $1500/month. Boy you must drink alot! wink

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
1 members (JayinOhio), 128 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,029
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.