Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#387714 09/13/10 09:03 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

Is it news when somebody DOESN'T burn a Quran. No. Well, maybe ...

Enter Jacob Isom, a resident of Amarillo, TX. The 23-year-old skateboarder happend to be nearby when he heard somebody mention burning a copy of the Quran. Apparently that didn't seem too righteous to Jacob, who snatched away the holy book -- already doused in a flammable liquid -- and told the agitator, "Dude, you have no Quran!" before running off.

The Amarillo Globe-News reports that Isom was wearing a t-shirt with the words, "I'm in Repent Amarillo No Joke" handwritten on the back and he accused David Grisham, from Christian fundamentalist group Repent Amarillo, of "trying to start Holy Wars."

Think Progress noticed that there's a happy ending: "As Amarillo Citizens Against Repent Amarillo's Facebook page shows, Isom made sure the book made it into the safe hands of a smiling local Muslim leader."

The incident occurred during a rally against Quran burning organized by the Amarillo Unitarian Universalist Fellowship at Sam Houston Park. No word on whether Grisham wants his Quran back. Apparently he wasn't a fan, anyway.

WATCH:

S
S
Yeah!

Coexist?......................................My As*! sick

I applaud the skateboarder.

Not every follower of Islam is a Muslim terrorist extremist pursuing jihad.

I also would not support a bible burning ceremony.

C
C
No books should ever be burned even if it something you do not agree with.
Fahrenheit 451, anyone?

I recently read a list of banned books put out by my son's middle school and it was many of the books we were required to read when in school - Grapes of Wrath, 1984, Animal Farm, Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, Roots, The Color Purple, Tom Sawyer, etc. It was insane!

It is insane! What is the saying about those who don't know their history are destined to repeat it?

The Holocaust, slavery and all manners of religious, social and ethnic persecutions.... can these things happen again? Of course. And in fact ethnic cleansing and slavery still exist and mans hatred of man is alive and well.

I recently realized that my kids vaguely have a clue about World War 1 & 2. Something I will work on remedying.

Here the Caribbean we learn about slavery and the modern day world, but somehow some huge portions of history have been completely excluded.

And people complain about the censoring of this message board! Ha, it' happening all around us. Propaganda is king in this media age.

Barbara
Is it really true the "banned" those books? how can book banning still be going on? Which state is this in?

shocking, and more over sad. Great books all of them. Can you make them required reading in your home?

Yeah it's true. This is conservative central NY. Funny, my older kids have already read most of them just by choice. Maybe "banning" them will make them more desirable for kids to want to read! One can only hope....

Never being one to keep my mouth shut, I weigh in.

Building a mosque near ground zero. Legal, but not a good idea.
Burning a Quran. Legal, but not a good idea.

As far as the book banning, yes, it's been happening. Notably the books such as Barbara mentioned, and other "classics" from our era. They taught us lessons. However, the social engineering that has been going on for the last couple of decades deem that these are not the lessons to be learned, or not how they should be learned. So, substitute other more contrived less factual "stories" to steer the students to the lessons (pc approved) that they need to supposedly learn.

One of my pet peeves.

Been there, done that, the washing machine ate the T-shirt
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 304 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.