Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Turnbun Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi, everyone. I'm addicted to this board! I am getting married on AC Sept. 2 at the Sundiver Beach Resort. I am using Iraida to coordinate everything, and she is SO WONDERFUL! As is Tazmara at the Sundiver. I have the photographer, the dinner after the ceremony, a snorkel trip and bride's lunch all set up. Is there anything I've forgotten? I want the wedding to be simple but VERY special. Any suggestions on what I can do for my guests to thank them for coming? The wedding is on Sunday, snorkel trip all day on Saturday. So what should we do Friday night? I was thinking of going into town to party/eat. What's the best place to go with a group of about 20 people of all ages? Some drink, some don't. We want to learn to PUNTA! Where's the best place for that???
Thanks to all!! If you're in AC Sept. 2 feel free to be a voyer and come watch the wedding....

A
A
Your wedding sounds awesome, exactly the way I would want to be married!! I thought I'd move your post up, as it is full of valuable questions and worthy of a reply. I think I saw some posts a few months back (like February/March) that were asking the same questions, try a "wedding" search. Good luck!

T
Turnbun Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks! I ran the search and got some good ideas. Any ideas on adding local flavor to the wedding? I really would like to add some local flavor and definitely want to have a crazy night learning to punta, so what's the best place to go for that?

A
A
Ask Punta Rebel Girl! There is one person in particular that I keep hearing mentioned as "The One" for teaching punta dancing. Help us out here, guys, who is this guy?!

Here's some tips on punta-ing... //ambergriscaye.com/message/Forum4/HTML/002735.html

S
S
Although I'm not THE Punta Rebel Girl (hope to be come june), I believe it has been mentioned several times that Andy from Gaz Cooper's dive is THE guy to teach the punta. I, for one, am going to look him up! I have also read that just about everyone in AC can and is willing to teach the punta. As long as you're willing and don't get embarrassed easily.

P
P
Turnbun, well I too had to learn to Punta, and I found the best way to learn was to go to one of the bars after midnight when everyone was ready to party, and just go up and ask two locals to teach you. Obviously by the name, I am a girl and I found the local guys more than happy to comply with my requests. Now, if you are a guy, you may have trouble finding the girls to help you out, I don't know. But, be prepared because this is most certainly a contact type of dance and there is alot of rubbing against each other going on [Linked Image], so don't hold that against your fiance when they are learning for the first time. Once someone shows them, then they get to do the dance with you and all is good. It is great fun and really is a workout if you get the speed down. Your butt and thighs will be sore the next day I guarrantee. My all time favorite teacher was Andy Palacio who is a dive master at Gaz Coopers. He is not a dance instructor but he has the patience of a saint and can really Punta. If all the people I have told to find him and get him to teach them have done so, I need to tell him I deserve a pay check and he can start charging for classes. He is awesome, can't say enough great things about him. So there you go, that is how I learned and I think how everyone else learns. The locals love it that we would want to learn their dance, so don't be shy and just go ask and have fun. They won't laugh at you, just with you. Oh yeah, the best places to dance are Sharks Bar, Dockside, Big Daddys, Jaquar Club, and Barefoot Iguana. Fidos is great fun for before dancing, but personally, when I was there they never played music I could Punta too, but I have read some people say they did while they were there. But Fidos closes at midnight and then you can go to the other places I mentioned and start your lessons. Have fun, congrats on your wedding, and may all your days be as blessed and wonderful as what they will be in Belize. You are in for the most magical experience of your life, what a great way to start a life journey with someone. God Bless you both.
Punta Rebel Girl
Debbie

Debbie, the Punta Girl
the Punta is intoxicating and addicting. You will LOVE it. You will find, that once the music starts, you can't help yourself. Almost like a trance....... LOL They guys won't have any problem finding a teacher. My husband didn't have problem and he's middle aged!
As for things in your wedding that would add local flavor.... The little children there are beautiful. Find a couple of little girls to be flower girls!!!! they would love it as much as you!!! Find out a local tradition and incorporate it into your celebration...... It sounds just perfect. What a wonderful wedding..... Best wishes.
Debbie

N
N
Turnburn,
I'm also getting married on AC...next week. Only 9 days until the big day. Iraida is also planning our wedding. We are getting married at Victoria House. What have you planned for the reception? Iraida has asked us what we wanted and we gave her a few ideas, but I haven't heard back from her since (she's currently out of town). I just thought it would be nice to hear what others are doing. Thanks for any input you can provide.

T
Turnbun Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks so much, everyone, for the great advice! I can't wait to Punta with the best of 'em. I'm always up for dancing. Keep the suggestions for local flavor in my wedding coming! I love the local flower girl idea!!! Everyone on the board seems so nice and helpful.
Nicki: We are getting married and staying at the SunDiver Beach Resort on the north end of AC. We have about 20 people coming, and we're going to do the whole thing at the hotel. They've arranged a snorkel trip/beach barbeque with Hustler the day before the wedding and a fishing trip for the guys and a spa day for the girls the day of the wedding. As for the reception, the chef at SunDiver has created a wonderful menu for us, and we'll all go to the hotel restaurant right after the ceremony. We're keeping it very simple. No wedding cake or anything like that (they are very expensive). Just lots of fun, friends and family! I can't wait!
I keep telling my fiancee that we need to make a trip down there before the wedding just to check things out, and he doesn't seem to think that's necessary. Go figure!
Be sure to post a trip report about your wedding when you get back. I want all the details and suggestions you can give!
Are you having a Christian minister do the ceremony or a civil ceremony? That's one thing I'm worried about - who will perform the ceremony. My fiancee and I want a traditional Christian ceremony with some Bible readings, etc. We thought about flying our minster down, but that's a lot of extra money!
Best wishes!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 330 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.