Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
We are moving from the States to San Pedro and want to place some of our funds in Belizean banks. I've read many different stories about the banks and their safety and am now quite frankly scared to death about making the wrong choice.

Would appreciate guideance from any experienced locals as to what banks you have used and trust and would recommend. Thanks!

Sharonee

P
P
Just pick one that you like the services at - they're all pretty similar and everyone has a favourite or the opposite bad story. Bad stories though are poor service, mistakes, extra fees, queues, etc not totally forfeiture of funds etc.

Most importnantly perhaps is to remember that US$ can always be exchanged for Bz$. Bz$ can almost never be exchanged for anything other than spending them here in Belize. If you are scared use a US$ Checking account, keep the bulk of it in the US and just cash cheques here as and when needed - there are always places to do this from Banks to Business owners. Then once you find your feet and learn the ropes you'll work out the right process for youself.

C
C
We use Scotiabank Belize and have been satisfied with their service.

K
K
I used Scotia for 4 years, and never had any problems.

however, Atlantic Bank is the ONLY bank in Belize that is able to handle United States Social Security direct deposits, so I switched banks last year.

so far, there has been only one problem, Atlantic Bank mistakenly deposited someone ELSE's Social Security into my account.

:lol:

I haven't tried it yet but I think British Caribbean Bank can also accept Social Security. I know they accept the checks but I haven't tried the automated system. Also, I agree with others that most of the banks seem fine. I use Belize Bank and so far after almost three years no problems (except excessive lines and lack of knowledge and that kind of thing).

Captain One Iron

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.