Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#387936 09/16/10 09:20 AM
OP Offline
Not sure if you have all seen them but "15 MPH Speed Limit" signs have been going up all over town. This is a great START. Electric golf carts could maybe push 15 mph with a good charge, but the electric carts, (sans governors), Polaris, Yamaha, etc., and taxis can go much faster. Last I heard there was no radar gun in San Pedro, and if there is, no one qualified to operate it.

Living on Coconut Drive, I can personally tell you that vehicles travel 2 or 3 times this speed every day, during school hours, in the middle of the night, etc.

Having the signs is, like I said, a good START. Unless we have some enforcement, nothing will change.

Change your Latitude
S
S
The donated radar guns were never used cause there is no gazetted law allowing that evidence in court.

OP Offline
That makes sense. I couldn't remember why they were not used. So that must mean that they are not used in Belize City either. Maybe getting a law on the books is the starting point.

Change your Latitude
The gas-powered Rhinos and Polaris's are horrific noise-makers.
Front street can sound like the Indy 500 time trials.

Chris at Pelican has an electric Polaris and likes it a lot.

In a perfect world the traffic committee would consider noise as well as axle length when approving a vehicle on the island.

S
S
RE: "The donated radar guns were never used cause there is no gazetted law allowing that evidence in court."

That's TOTALLY awesome!!! What a brilliant bit of logic!!! How F-in funny...

"Sir, we clocked you going 45 in a 15 zone..."
"Prove it... no, your radar gun reading is not admissible... Prove it some other way..."

Belize definitely needs MORE laws that are, for all practical purposes, completely unenforceable. At least the town's $$$ is being put to good use (signs.) Perhaps we can rely upon guilt and conscience to keep people driving at a slow speed.

M
M
Looks like we need to consider limiting the gasoline powered carts/ATV's. It seemed like a good idea at the time but now far too many that are noisy and stink. For the first time we have air and noise pollution from the streets. Anybody know how they could get a speeding conviction without a radar law?

OP Offline
That was exactly my point. I KNOW that the taxi drivers and the gas powered ATVs do not follow any sort of speed regulations. There is no reason they should even with the new signs.

I am going to see what can be done to get some type of law enacted. How do they EVER write a ticket for speeding anywhere in Belize if they do not use radar? Drive along side the person at 70 mph to "prove" they are going that fast?

Change your Latitude
M
M
Yeah, it's pretty silly for sure. If you can think of anything I can do to help let me know. Our area rep should be able to mention it in cabinet. It should be part of any crime control bill as it gives a legal stop but will require that we train our officers LOL. BUT it must happen.

It's simple, if you are a friend of the traffic officer, you are never too fast...

The most dangerous part of skydiving in San Pedro. Crossing the street from the SunBreeze to the airstrip!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 340 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.