Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Debbie Offline OP
OP Offline
I want to bring my own snorkel gear this year. I plan on using it a LOT. And figured I would save money eventually by not having to rent stuff. What is the deal on a snorkel that blows out better? How would one go about getting a proper fit on a snorkel mask? Okay, you try it on.... I got that, but how can you tell if it would leak? I tried at least 10 of them on this past weekend, and they all felt about the same. I did like the ones with one lens better, as my field of vision was better. What else should I look for???
Debbie

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 05-08-2001).]

E
E
debbi, Go to a pro dive shop. They will fit you perfectly. A good mask will run between $50/$75 but it will be worth it and last forever.They can also provide you with a good snorkel, about $20/$25, enjoy yourself Mon an be Hoopy!

I like my mask to stay sealed on my face with just slight pressure - no strap. In other words - I press the mask to my face, if it stays on it is a good fit for me. If it falls off then I know that water will leak inside the mask.

I prefer my snorkel to have a purge valve. This enables my to easily blow out any water that may be in my snorkel. Just cover the open end with your hand and blow, then the water is forced out the valve.

Belize it!

Debbie Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks!
Margarita,
I did that very thing with the mask that I liked. It's an oversized mask, and my son said I looked ridiculous, but the face seal was considerably smaller and actually had a double seal. It "stuck" to my face just great and was very comfortable. It is only a $20 mask though. Think it will last? It's got a semi clear frame, that I thought would let more light in.
The snorkel I got does have the purge thingy on it. I'm especially bouyant, and have trouble diving down under for close ups, but have had a wave wash over my snorkel and about choke me. Will this prevent that? I've seen children with very nice snorkels with bubble things on the end and was told it prevents water from getting in. It has some kind of diaphram in it......?????? That's not the purge feature is it? I'm not really experienced at blowing out. I've gone snorkeling a lot, but never had any fancy gear. A leaky mask is truly the WORST!
Debbie

The price of the mask is not as important as the fit! Actually my cheaper mask fits better.

The purge valve doesn't help with water coming in the top. It does help when blowing that water out. Without a purge valve you need enough air and power to blow the water up the snorkel and out. With the valve you need less air and power to blow the water out the bottom. So, if you are having trouble breathing - choking or swallowed water - it is easier and less effort to clear your snorkel and get the air you want. Also I don't like water in the curve of the snorkel and with the valve it is simple to keep it clear.

Some snorkels are bent or vented at the top - don't know how much that matters. The direction and force of the waves matter more to me!

I have to agree, price is not the real factor. We have masks from a dive shop, and paid about $75.00, but our old Voit much cheaper works best. The new type of snorkel is best with the purge option.
I heard they are no longer selling the snorkel with the ball in it, for kids, it is not safe. My US Diver equipment is pretty good.
Where my problem was, after the guide washed my mask with the liquid soap, then it leaked.
I have to figure that issue out next trip.

Dare To Deviate
S
S
Hi Debbie! I got my gear over this past weekend. The people at the dive shop were really helpful.

As far as the mask...They told me that it's the fit that matters; not the price (believe it or not, they were selling me the cheaper mask!) Of course, there are features like the auto-purge (which they say is great), lens' to fit prescription inserts, tinted to take the "blue" out of the water, etc. I got an "oversized" mask myself. All clear, even on the sides for periphreal vision. They did sell me on the mask strap. It reeplaces the rubber strap that comes with the mask. Much more comfortable (doesn't pinch). Adjust it once and you don't have to adjust again.

About the snorkel...What you;re referring to (the water not getting in) is called a "dry snorkel). There's a valve that closes with water pressure. No water gets in the tube. They said it's excellent for snorkeling (when you want to dive) and when the waves come over. I tested it at home. Not a drop of water to choke on! I got one. It also has the purge valve like yours.

Got my underwater flashlights there, too!

Like someone mentioned, go to a dive shop. They can give you good info based on what you need and what you want to spend. Good luck!!

Debbie Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks Margarita, Chloe and Shay!
that's exactly what I wanted to know. I know this sounds gross, but instead of liquid soap to clear my lens I always spit on it. Works like a charm. Just do it when no one is looking.... tee hee hee. Sounds like I found the right stuff. I'm so excited!!!!! My youngest son outgrew his fins, and they fit me perfectly. I tried on at least 10 pairs of those too. They were all so uncomfortable and pinched!!! (I have high arches) So I just confiscated his old black rubber ones. Dolfino brand. I love them. So I'm all set!
Debbie

S
S
Debbie, There's also a spray you can buy to defog your mask. Only a couple bucks. Easy to use & can bring it with you when you snorkel/dive (will fit in a little pouch). Not as easy to use as spitting, mind you. (That's how I always did it...thought I'd try the spray this time). Sharon

Debbie Offline OP
OP Offline
LOL
Thanks Sharon!!! Will pick some up when I go to get my flashlight.
Debbie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.