Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
McLovin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hey guys. When I was down last year I took your advise and bought liquor at the duty free at the airport and saved a bunch of money. But I took the boat out to the island and this year I will be flying out. Can I carry my booze on the plane in my carry on or do I have to put it in my checked luggage? As a diver my checked bag is already pushing the 50lbs limit. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

It has to go into a checked bag........the over 3oz of liquid rule applies to Tropic & Maya also.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
Your booze must go into your checked luggage, you shouldn't have a problem with Tropic if you have a bag over the 50lb limit

Colin, Marianne & Sophie the Dog
www.mrptny.com
M
McLovin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
thanks guys. YOu don't happen to know how much a person can get duty free do you? I drank so much I forgot. Can't wait to get back down there.

E
E
I could be wrong but it seems like 6 bottles. No prob withe the weight.

You could flat pack an extra bag or box in your luggage for the bottles. Even if Tropic charge you for it as cargo, you are only looking at $8-10 for the box.

HOT Guide Belize - now on your mobile phone! Info, events, discounts & more - www.hotguidebelize.com
Ernie, I'm sure it's only 4 bottles per person.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
I think its 4 litres per person so equates to 6 normal size bottles

Colin, Marianne & Sophie the Dog
www.mrptny.com
I buy my duty free bottle on my way back home from BZ, and it is fine on the first leg of the flight, but when I hit transfer point at Houston, the bottle has to be stowed in my checked luggage or it will be confiscated. Well, isn't that a kick in the pants? Generally, checked luggage is not back in your hands at that point. In order to keep them from confiscating your dutyfree booze, you can go over to the Continental desk before going up the escalator to security (over to the left of the luggage screening machines), and they will sell you a $20 box, that is supposed to protect your bottle. They then box it up, tape it up and put it into special luggage handling, right then and there. They give you a matching claim slip for it and it should arrive in one piece on the special luggage carousel at your home destination. (make sure duty free store puts those plastic mesh protectors on your bottles). I still have my original $20 box, and I take it down to BZ with me and use it over and over again, so I've got my monies worth out of it. Buying a new box every time I bought a duty free bottle would completely defeat the purpose of buying duty free. I hope this helps.

Last edited by seashell; 09/29/10 07:14 PM. Reason: attempt at clarity

A fish and a bird can fall in love, but where will they build their nest?

C
C
You know that little duty free shop they put in the terminal at Goldson when you come into the country? how does that work? Like, I thought duty-free was supposed to be taken OUT of the country, not purchased as you enter.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 195 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,028
Members20,468
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.