Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
S
S
AMEN!

gubbie
Elbert is very active and totally involved in trying to insure SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT here.
He has lived here a long time and is eye witness to the developments that are now in desperate need of government intervention.
In the USA a developer has to put in the ENTIRE infrastructure before anything else is done. Here lines are drawn on paper, pieces of wetlands (sometimes called swamps) are sold and the developer (without any development) can move on. This leaves people who are desperate to own a piece of the pie holding the bag.

I wish you could see the San Mateo sub-division right now. The Tropic Air pilot flew us up over that and Reef Village on Saturday on our way in from the mainland.

What Elbert and many others are trying to stop is this sort of mess happening once again.

There is going to be another ACCSD meeting Oct. 8th. You should plan to attend.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
R
ron Offline
R
Harriet, gubbie was there for their third visit in Sept. Probably not there now to attend any meetings. She is certain she can see everything with a couple of visits and understands how self serving Elbert is. Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to live in the reclaimed swamps on the west side of the island. I can remember one of my first visits to AC and going across the pull ferry and fishing where Reef Village now is. The land was better suited for bonefish than for condos. I also don't understand how you can think good development is gotten by drawing nice straight boxes on land. When I was teaching Urban Planning and residential design at both Michigan State and the University of Lagos, the students were required to consider such mundane things like carrying capacity of the land, the topographical feature that are environmentally sensitive, providing adequate services and infrastructure for everyone to have access to sanitation, water, roads, electricity, etc. One of the first design problems given our students in Lagos was design a small community in a swampy area. Most of the students acknowledged that the really wetlands were not good for any sort of development. Residential areas and other development projects were located on higher ground the road system to reach these developments was what was called organic in that the roads wound through the property, they didn't cut a path in straight lines. To gubbie, I suggest you read a book or two or urban design before thinking that GBE is a good project. Elbert isn't always right but he does know his area a little better than you. Over fifteen years living in a place gives you a sense of the place, visiting for a month or two gives you a desire to live there not any real knowledge of the place. Responsible development is more than drawing lines on a peice of paper and selling lots.

M
M
Good post Ron

T
T
AC is groaning now wit overdeveloped,unsustainble growth that will choke this place. Already, some tourists have questioned any 'eco' anything in literature about this place because of building in swamps. Elbert is 100% correct. Where is the impact study? This will fail for 20 years as GOB struggles to clean up the whole lousy mess.

E
E
No master plan ,no EIA study done when the laws of Belize clearly states that on this island when a property is over 50 lots an EIA is required. 1200 lots what about their garbage ,water ,sewage,electricity,police,fire station,clinic,or a school area for so many families not to mention of any proper roads within this subdivision. Our politicians have all been bought by Mitchell,PUP was first then followed by the S.PTC and then our area rep.

[Linked Image]
looks like Barrow has his hand in too.

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
M
M
Originally Posted by elbert
[Linked Image]
looks like Barrow has his hand in too.

Shame shame shame

G
G
I really wish I could but I live in the states and we were only down there to look at potential property. I'm glad to hear that elbert is active in trying to stop inappropriate building and development. I guess I would just like to hear more about what can be done to stop this from taking place instead of name calling and personal attacks on the blogs-it's not a very grown up way to accomplish anything.

It's good to know that people (including Elbert) are involved but based on what I saw the development is a done deal and has moved forward. Is there any possiblity that the development can be halted or is it now a situation of trying to shore up what's already there to try and prevent what could happen. I wouldn't want to see GBE turn into anything even resembling a slum especially since we're looking at purchasing property near there. My exchanges with Elbert were nothing more that personal observations of when I was there taking a tour. I can't help what I saw or what I thought of the people that were conducting the tour. I've been trying to explain to Elbert that I don't disagree with what he's trying to do I just don't like the name calling-it's unproductive. I am glad to hear that there are activist that believe in causes. Thanks for the info.

G
G
I'm confused about why everyone thinks that I think GBE is a good project. As I have stated before I can only go off what I saw. My initial inquiry was about the east/west road and nothing more. Because I didn't understand the working of the island I have been following the blogs and newspaper articles for any information regaridng the road and developments on the island. I don't like the design of GBE or the way this has been set up because it's not for me which is why when we took the tour I made it very clear to the GBE representatives that we had no intention of buying there. You are correct that I don't know the area or island which is why I'm trying to collect information to understand better. You are correct in that after a few visits to your island I could not know much about it which is why we've made more than one trip and plan on making several more over the next couple of years. I do know that my husband and I have traveled extensively looking for property and have viewed more land that I care to remember. I'm not certain that Elbert is self serving and believe that he is sincerely concerned about what's going on-again I only posted what I saw for myself and didn't make judgements on the people buying property in GBE that were on the tour. Who am I to tell them that they made a mistake. Again I just didn't like that I posted what I saw and was called names and was accused of things that weren't true. I do care about what happens on the island especially since I would like to live there some day. It's difficult when you're trying to collect information about what's going on from such a distance. I suppose I should have posted what I saw regarding the road and left it at that or I could have just agreed and moved on.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.