Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
OP Offline
J
Absolutely true GwenA.

Here the Red Snapper limit is now two. I don't know that I really agree with that, since it only applies to sport fisherman and the commercial catch of Red Snapper continues. But at least it IS controlled. Redfish (Red Drum) limit is only one fish for the larger reds to ensure breeding stock exists in sufficient quantities. The enforcement of limit laws isn't really much of an issue when it comes to true fishermen because the enjoyment is in the fishing....not necessarily the catching, and there's no real need to "stock up" on fish because we go often enough to supply our tables unlike tourists.

Here...in the Mississippi/Louisiana portion of the Gulf we have had size/daily catch/possession limits for almost...but not quite (I'm almost 62)... as long as I can remember. Is it different in Belize?

Also, if there ARE limits in Belize, does anyone have a link to a site which provides that information?

G
G
No, we have a lobster season and a conch season. Also there is a moratorium on catching and keeping the Nassau Grouper. Any fishing guide will know the rules. Also, there is a new Sport Fishing License, but many of us are confused about the exact rules of the license. So, what Mike is wishing for, and what we are used to, is the protection of the fishery. Let's hope those in power feel the same way. I don't think it will be popular with Belizeans. There are supposed to be size limits on lobster, and conch, but I have seen many an undersized lobster.

T
T
That's a great piece. Thanks Mike. There is time to change the mindset but laws/rules are ok but enlightenment will change behavior. The locals must be convinced it is in their interest short and longterm. I remember when the UN sent a marine biologist to study the queen conch in San Pedro. His report was the genesis for the first controls. The government at the time insisted that AC was a national treasure and controlled development when sustainability was just emerging. We need to start with the next generation of school kids and make this a priority. I used to buy the turtles hauled in and free them. People thought I was crazy. The UN finally convinced everyone to quit eating manatee. The local guides find that they get paid to catch fish and then they sell what the tourists do not want. They see money and have plenty of buyers. The easy fish trap days are over and the locals must adapt their behavior before it is in decline. Our local police used to be on the lookout for Mexican boats fishing our waters and the locals were very angry that their livelihood was threatend.

J
J
Johnny....Caye Caulker is one of the best kept secrets on the planet for fishing. Inside the reef is where you want to be.
Get in touch with Capt. Parnell Cox (island number 660-7118) and let him show you around. Mention Joe and Wally. We are two of his customers and can't say enough about Parnell. He's you man. Two of the best spots to stay are Iquanareef.com or seasidecabans.com. We are strictly catch & release except for a few snappers that you can bring to Rose's restaurant. They will cook and serve your catch if you order two sides...(potato & salad). [Linked Image]

K
K
OK, the Sport Fishing license is about a year old. However, when I was down in August('10) 2 different guides said they weren't needed yet. What's the deal?

Flyfishing my way through mid-life crisis.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 241 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,204
Posts500,030
Members20,470
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day