Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#38956 05/09/01 11:16 AM
KC Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, this is probably a stupid question, but I have to ask it. My bags, my daughter's bags, and my daughter's friend's bags will be full of: china, towels, and linens. When I fill out that form on the airplane, exactly how do I list this, and when I get to customs at the airport, will they want a detailed list? (like, china, 8 place settings, $15.00 per setting)? Do I list the prices/cost of things, and will I have to pay duty on everything?

I wish there was a "class" I could take to learn all of this stuff. I want to know it all! I apologize for having to run here with every question... but thanks in advance to anyone who will take the time to answer.

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#38957 05/09/01 12:42 PM
T
T
Good question. What about bringing champagne and wine? I'm having all my wedding guests bring over a bottle of champagne or wine since it's so expensive (and not very good, I hear) on AC. How does this work with customs? Can we only bring over one bottle a piece? I'd like to bring over a little more if possible.

#38958 05/09/01 01:24 PM
KC I tend to be concise on the forms - ie housewares and list an approximate price, and I carry the receipts with me just in case. Sometimes they stop you sometimes they wave you through.

T You can bring more but they can charge you per bottle over - might end up costing more if you have to pay double!

Same with cigarettes - you can bring more but they can charge you.

#38959 05/09/01 01:25 PM
KC Offline OP
OP Offline
Turn -- My only suggestion is for everyone to *CARRY* the bottles on the plane. I think they would explode in the unpressureized cargo area! (But then, you probably knew that).

Good luck. Hopefully we will get some answers!

Kathy

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
#38960 05/09/01 01:28 PM
KC Offline OP
OP Offline
Margarita -- Thanks! And if they do stop me... (which they probably will since we are going to have the maximum allowable luggage!) do we then have to pay duty? (See... I am so uninformed. Have never brought anything other than personal items into a country. I've only *heard* of duty--never paid it!)

Kathy

#38961 05/11/01 07:27 AM
Folks I'm going to suggest something that is off the wall. I do not advocate breaking the law in anyway but...I noticed many people comeing into Belize with tons of stuff and several of them had nothing on the Custom's sheet..they did the "Stupid American Act"! If you plan on useing it for personal use as the form says then it's not subject to a tariff...I'm not sure I interpeted it right but thats how I read it.
If you intend on selling the items then your intend is import/export business and you should plan on paying what they ask. I brought many items as gifts and they said nothing. I also had 2k worth of dive gear...not a word said...all for personal use...
Another suggestion is if they do search your luggage, mention that the items are for Hurricane relief gifts. KEYWORD GIFTS!!!
Do what you think is proper....
This is only for going TO AC..not for reentry to the US..I never fool around with US customs..EVER....

Life May Be a Beach...I prefer Reefs...
#38962 05/11/01 11:38 AM
B
B
Just a correction to KC's comment about commercial airline baggage compartments..they are indeed pressurized.

#38963 05/11/01 11:54 AM
If the cabins are pressurized then why are all my shampoo bottles and containers all "sucked in" when I arrive at my destinations???? You open the top and the air rushes in and they pop right back out. It's wierd. Anyone else have this happen?
Debbie

#38964 05/11/01 12:06 PM
B
B
Hi Debbie,

The reason your shampoo bottles are like that after a flight is because airplanes are pressurized to somewhere around 8000 feet ASL, not sea level. When you land and the plane is depressurized, the air pressure outside the shampoo bottle is greater than the air pressure inside the shampoo bottle.

#38965 05/11/01 01:18 PM
Thanks Berferd!!! That always puzzled me. You learn something new every day.... [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,209
Posts500,041
Members20,483
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.