[Linked Image]

White Sands Dive Shop
https://whitesandsdiveshop.com/
Marty #390989 10/25/10 08:13 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Weakened 'Richard' leaves Belize
(UKPA) - 2 hours ago

Hurricane Richard has weakened to a tropical storm over north-eastern Guatemala after battering the tiny Central American country of Belize with heavy rain and howling winds.

The storm's maximum sustained winds early on Monday were near 65mph with steady weakening expected as Richard stays inland.

Mexico has discontinued all coastal warnings for that country.

The storm is located about 90 miles west of Belize City and is moving west to north-west at about 12 mph.

An estimated 10,000 people in Belize took refuge at storm shelters in schools and churches ahead of the arrival of Richard, which made landfall late on Sunday about 20 miles south-west of Belize City.

Marty #390990 10/25/10 08:14 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
7AM Monday - NEMO just declared the Official All Clear for all of Belize.

Marty #390992 10/25/10 08:36 AM
Amazing how we dodged yet another bullet. I was able to sit outside on the deck all during the evening and up until bedtime. we had only mild winds here although the sea roared.

Harriette
Take only pictures leave only bubbles
Marty #391000 10/25/10 09:52 AM
S
S
Anyone know how the power/internet situation is in Placencia?

Marty #391003 10/25/10 10:19 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
here's a report from Cayo....

getting the cattle out of the yard! many fences down, some trees pruned by the master, leaf city in yard, and now the lovely nelores are in the yard, nick loves it. will see who shows up for work, keeping us all young here. have not checked your cacao cathedral along the river derry... think the big trees, the giant cedars ok there too, are ok here, but there was some cracking and popping in the night.

for my part, i was doing emails about 9(?) telling folks we are fine, then power out, climbed under the table to stop that beeping on ups, when came up totally disoriented ! had pulled down drapes, plus not much moon early in evening... and then the overcast too... luckily some in back of house came to rescue me before i banged into too much. remember there are 7 directions, the 4 cardinals, plus up, down and inward. i was a bit confused on all 7 counts, haha.

john is just back from barn.. we rose together at dawn, to survey what we could.. we are thankful. spoke to jenny down south, doc - she says of 10, they are nearly 10 still. bmp was hit badly, understand that many trees down, no water in san ig, or elec. we are on generator, thank you fossil fuels.

roads are completely blocked up, the cristo rey road, imagine more blocked in town too, heard that western hwy blocked too... so, will be loss for some, profit for some, cleaning up, etc.
wondering how the mennonites fared with the rest of the corn harvest, if they got it in first.

our rain guage says 3 inches, because i think it only collects VERTICAL rain, not the slant or horozontal. will get the rain amt from the guys that supply us records in spanish lkt. today. (if their e is on... expect it will be,) that side of the river used to independent days, as are we. just not set up for it like in the old maya ranch days...
we got into wasps, using ammonia on the stings - we were crossing/clearing/chopping with his machete, the stuff blocking roads in the ranch. forever young, my man. or so he feels.

so don't worry, we are fine! having roast picana for dinner... hope the elec returns so we don't have to clean out the freezer, but we will be fine. (generator too tiny )
sun is out, and we are dry and thankful. dalia just phoned (housekeeper) tree fell on her mother's house in cristo rey, nearly totaled, wood hse. says overall village is fine.

Black Rock, Hidden Valley, DuPlooys, reporting no damage, couple trees down.

love and good wishes to all !

Marty #391004 10/25/10 10:24 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline

All Clear of Hurricane Richard

The sun is out in San Pedro and residents get ready to go back to work and on with their regular lives after Hurricane Richard made landfall in the country of Belize last night between Dangriga Town and Belize City. The only work being done in the island is beach cleanup for all the seaweed that was dumped on the beaches; the town council and residents along the beach have already started with the cleanup.  No damage to buildings, piers and other structures has been reported.

San Pedro faired very well during the storm as maximum storm winds reached to only about 41mph and rains pounded the island only for a short while. Reports are that about 800 people evacuated the island and only about 100 sought refuge at the two hurricane shelters. There was no power outages reported on the island and water is still out this morning. The water service crew is out repairing some damage and the supply of water should be connected soon.

Elsewhere around the country, residents along the Western Highway are reporting extensive damage to property along the track where Hurricane Richard made landfall. The eye of the storm crossed over Belmopan City were extensive damage to structures is being reported, including lost roofs, downed residences and scattered debris. Residents of Hattieville are also reporting damages. Belize City faired very well with only localized flooding that receded after the storm passed and city residents are out to clean up and get their businesses open. The northern and southern districts faired very well during the storm with little damage reported, including Caye Caulker, St. George’s Caye. No deaths have been reported at the moment.

Marty #391005 10/25/10 10:38 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
Misc. reports:

I was listening to Love FM online last night and frequent calls were coming in to the radio station of people needing rescue. Mind you, this was all happening in the pitch black of night because there was no power. Several calls were of rising water of four feet in lower level houses where children were. One caller was calling on behalf of her neighbor who lived on the seafront on the South side somewhere. Apparently the water had risen so high the mother had to break a hole in the roof and put her children to sit on the roof of the house as they awaited rescue. Remember, this is in the pitch black of night, with howling winds. The caller didn't say how old the children were but it was definitely the sound of a panicked caller.

---------------

Copy from Elite Trader

Belize 7:30 a.m. Monday for North American Stock markets opening, on this Monday morning.

HURRICANE RICHARD went through here last night. Hit the coast at a Force 2, and passed over us a 100 miles inland at Force 1. Bit of debris around today. The electricity has been off since yesterday evening. Running the computer on battery backup power and can only hope the electricity comes back on in the next hour. Of two internet providers, BTL is off the connection, but SMART is still operating and so we are able to continue business. Had been thinking of cashing in my SMART and cancelling it. But guess I will keep it as a backup, which it is right now.
See the market jumped at the OPEN, that is interesting. Hoping for two trades again this week.
My breadfruit tree lost some big branches and most of the flowering shrubs lost their flowers. Otherwise okay!

3 hours of Force 1 hurricane winds.

--------

Foreshore had about 4 feet according to sister(receded now)......no power and still raining at 6am this morning....apparently lots of power poles down...

----------------

Just talked to my mom. She said the water was already down and they have power. She's on the south side at West & Bishop streets.

Marty #391007 10/25/10 10:58 AM
Hey Marty, thank you so much for the reporting. I'm hoping for word on conditions in Maya Centre / Kendal. Or info on Dangriga / Hopkins / Sittee would indirectly tell me something. Thanks again, 'Lena

Marty #391010 10/25/10 11:11 AM
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
U.S. Embassy Is Open Today

U.S. Embassy Belmopan
Press Release
Belmopan, October 25

The U.S. Embassy in Belmopan informs the public that the Embassy's Consular section is open today, Monday, October 25, 2010. Visa applicants with appointments who can arrive by 11 am will be interviewed today. For those who cannot make their appointment today, the appointment will honored on Tuesday October 26, 2010. If applicants with appointments on Monday, October 25 cannot make their appointment on Tuesday, October 26, please schedule a new appointment using the online appointment system.

Please visit the U.S. Embassy's website at http://belize.usembassy.gov.

Page 19 of 24 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 23 24

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.