Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#39130 05/12/01 03:18 AM
T
OP Offline
T
My friend is going to school in San Pedro and he invited me down for the summer. I am 23 and bilingual in Spanish and English. I am a US permanent resident and a Mexican citizen. What kind of job can I get? I'm just looking for something to bring in some money. I actually have a college degree, but if I moved down I was thinking of some thing in the tourist field or bartending. Any suggestions or advice on what I should expect would be appreciated.

the "law" says you cannot work w/out a permit and you can't take a job a Belizean citizen can do!! Good Luck

Here is a reprint of the laws regarding work permits.

Work Permits

There are two types of work permit applications: a) Application for permission to employ a foreigner: Any foreign citizen who wishes to work in Belize MUST be a legal resident (have resided in Belize for at least six months). He or she must be in the country legally, with proper visas and/or permits issued by the Immigration Department. The prospective employer must submit the following to the Labour Department: The application for the foreign worker he wishes to hire; three passport photos; $10 in stamps; a valid passport; and proof that this individual is qualified for the job. At the same time, the Labour officer must be satisfied that all efforts to employ a Belizean have been exhausted. This includes providing proof that the vacant position was advertised locally for at least three weeks, following which, no suitable applicant was found;

and, b) Application for Temporary Self-Employment: This category would apply to foreign investors, among others. All applicants must be in the country legally, with proper visas and/or permits issued by the Immigration Department. They are required to produce proof of reasonably sufficient funds for their proposed venture (i.e.: local bank statement of account). Applicants must also obtain a reference from the relevant Ministry or Local Organization concerned with the category of work involved. In such situations, the six-month residency requirement is waived, and it is assumed that the venture will lead to creation of employment for Belizeans in the future.

Work Permit Fees are now as follows: Professional and technical workers: $750; general workers: $100; seasonal agricultural workers: $25 per crop; entertainers in groups of two to five: $250 each; individual entertainers: $150; missionaries, educational and volunteer individuals: $25. Barring exceptional circumstances, work permits will not be granted for waiters, vendors, domestic workers, and farm hands.

For further information, telephone the Immigration and Nationality Department at: 501-8-22611 or -22423; or the Labour Department at: 501-8-22204

I believe a work permit to be a bartender would be very difficult to get.

**Jim

**Jim

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 278 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.