Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Marty Offline OP
OP Offline
by Cheryl Carroll

A short documentary PSA on damage to reef fish and the reef environment caused by the use of fish traps.

This video shows the damage and mortal injuries to non-targeted, undersized and protected species when fish traps are used in the harvest of food fish. This video also shows how abandoned ghost traps continue to kill targeted and non-targeted species without any harvest for as long as they remain intact in the ocean.

The footage was originally shot in 1992 for the fight to ban the gear in Florida and the surrounding federal waters, now some fishermen in the Gulf of Mexico want permission to use this gear again by overturning the 2007 ban on fish traps in the Gulf of Mexico. We have remastered the original footage to raise awareness for the fight to keep this gear banned.

Please watch this video and write to the Gulf Council to let them know that allowing Fish Traps will have dire consequences on gulf fish stocks.

[email protected]

Fish Traps: Explosive Decompression from Cheryl Carroll on Vimeo.

That's a tough video to watch......not pretty.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!
JZB Offline
Why did they feel it was necessary to kill all the fish in the second trap too?? Video on the first trap was enough.

I think they were trying to stress the point.....regardless, it is not a nice thing.

I'm happier than a pig in s__t...a foot on the sand...and a Belikin in my hand!

Link Copied to Clipboard
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Cayo Espanto
Click for Cayo Espanto, and have your own private island
More Links
Click for exciting and adventurous tours of Belize with Katie Valk!
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 327 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics79,199
Posts500,011
Members20,460
Most Online7,413
Nov 7th, 2021

AmbergrisCaye.com CayeCaulker.org HELP! Visitor Center Goods & Services San Pedro Town
BelizeSearch.com Message Board Lodging Diving Fishing Things to Do History
BelizeNews.com Maps Phonebook Belize Business Directory
BelizeCards.com Picture of the Day

The opinions and views expressed on this board are the subjective opinions of Ambergris Caye Message Board members
and not of the Ambergris Caye Message Board its affiliates, or its employees.